META42 and battery pack help!!
Apr 24, 2003 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

venzuel00

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I have an ac only powered meta42. I was wondering if I could add a battery pack with circular 5 pin male connector that can be hook to the power plug (5 pin female connector) on the back on my meta42. Or do I have to drill a separate hole and install a power plug for batteries? BTW, what do you call the 5 pin connectors that power cable has? I'm just new to audio electronics, need some advice.

Thanks in advance

Apr 24, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 8
I got your PM, but thought I would reply to you here so other people can comment.

I took out the virtual ground and rail splitter from this particular META42, because the Elpac supplies it w/ +12VDC, -12VDC, and ground (to AC wall-socket). I believed this to be the optimum setup for AC-powered use.

This configuration, as I mentioned prior to sale, isn't designed for portable use. It uses EL2009s (much higher power consumption vs. EL2001s), has no virtual ground, and no rail splitter.

On the other hand, this amp would love you if you built a gilmore PS for it.
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by kfaiman
On the other hand, this amp would love you if you built a gilmore PS for it.
wink.gif

If you were to do a Gilmore ps, you will have what I would consider to be the most 'maxed-out' META on the block!
cool.gif

Apr 25, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 8
venzuel00,

Got your pms, but not until I read this post did I really understand what you were looking for.

I think that kfaiman's comments about using a Gilmore PS are mostly tongue-in-cheek, i.e. it would be nice, but probably overkill.

Use the Elpac power supplies he mentions - its probably the best solution for your situation...

Good luck,

matt

Apr 25, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 8
Actually, I think a Gilmore PS is a worth-while upgrade. It is quieter than batteries. The META42 I sold venzuel00 is maxed out w/ multiple Black Gates per rail, Caddock resistors in signal path, silver wiring, an Alps Blue pot, EL2009s, and the AD8620. It would benefit from a better PS, no doubt...

But, it costs a bit to build and I don't know how great the gains will be. Has anyone went from an Elpac to a Gilmore PS w/ their META42?

Apr 25, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by kfaiman
Actually, I think a Gilmore PS is a worth-while upgrade. It is quieter than batteries. The META42 I sold venzuel00 is maxed out w/ multiple Black Gates per rail, Caddock resistors in signal path, silver wiring, an Alps Blue pot, EL2009s, and the AD8620. It would benefit from a better PS, no doubt...

But, it costs a bit to build and I don't know how great the gains will be. Has anyone went from an Elpac to a Gilmore PS w/ their META42?

Ken, when I saw your ad for the Meta, my finger twitched, but I was able resist!!
tongue.gif

The only person I know who uses the Gilmore ps with the Meta, is mhamel. But he didn't use the el2009's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back