META relationship to Xin's mini
Dec 17, 2002 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mgoretex

New Head-Fier
Just wondering if there is a relationship between META and the mini amp sold by Xin at www.fixup.net

If no relationship, can anyone comment on the performance of the mini? has anyone tried it with the beyer DT770 Pro's?

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by mgoretex
Just wondering if there is a relationship between META and the mini amp sold by Xin at www.fixup.net

If no relationship, can anyone comment on the performance of the mini? has anyone tried it with the beyer DT770 Pro's?

Thanks!

I've had my SuperMini for about a week now and all I can say is: WOW!

I had purchased Alessandro MS1 phones about a month earlier and was starting to become a Grado hater. When listening through the phone jack on my Sony CDP, the MS1 (aka SR125) was just a bit too "in your face" for long term listening. The SuperMini has transformed the Alessandros ... every aspect of their sound is an order of magnitude more realistic and soothing. At $100 a piece, the MS1/SuperMini is an unbeatable combination.

I'm not expert enough to comment on the similarity between Xin's design and the META42. If you read through the background on the fixup.net website, you'll see that he gives an explanation that makes sense to me. Clearly there's a strong resemblance between the two however Xin has implemented his own improvements. I can say that the workmanship inside that teeny-weeny box is superb!

I hope more knowledgeable Head-Fiers will be posting evaluations in the near future. I’d be amazed if it gets anything but rave reviews!

Dec 18, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for the reply anearfull.

You have confirmed what I have been readinga lot on this board, and namely the value and quality of the mini/supermini, but I guess my next question is this: How will the mini serve as an amp for the beyer DT770 Pro? I am in the process of ordering these phones, and in search of an amp that will make these cans a joy to listen!

Suggestions??

Thanks!

Dec 20, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by anearfull
...Clearly there's a strong resemblance between the two however Xin has implemented his own improvements...

Could anyone from the META team comment on this? Do the two amps even sound alike (w/ similar configurations)?

Forgive me for being ignorant, but how could Xin implement improvements when the design itself is compromised for space? Do you mean he's applied his own tweaks into the amp? What are they?

Dec 20, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 17
Xin claims that the minis sound virtually identical to the META, and that one could not tell the difference btw the two. I have read posts by META builders that that is not entirely true, while the minis are exceptional for their size and how a sound quality comparable to the original META, they are still not as good. My interpretation of this is that there is a difference, while it may be subtle, it is still noticeable.

Though, having not compared them myself, I'm curious to hear what people who have heard them both have to say.

Dec 20, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 17
I think it comes down what your needs and expectations are. If size is an issue, go for the mini. If max performance is the concern. IMO, get the meta.

I have no vested interest in either amps, just my biases.

Dec 21, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 17
There is no relationship between the META42 and the Xin Mini. I have never heard or seen one, but I took a brief look at the website. The mini uses inferior opamps and buffers, very low battery voltage and power supply capacitance, no cascode current sources, no Jung multiloop topology (I'm guessing by the number of visible resistors since no schematic is shown), thus I do not believe it comes close to the performance of a META42.

Disclaimer: I don't benefit financially from META42 purchases.
redface.gif

Dec 21, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 17
I could do a comparo with my META when I get the supermini in about a week or so (should no one has done it by then). Have to factor in some burn-in time too. The last time I heard my META was last night using my bedroom rig. Jewel's voice was like, so breathy & singing in my head... mmmm... Jeweeelll. Presently I'd say the super mini will have its work cut out to be able to be as good as the META.

Dec 21, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 17
Do a search on META and Mini to see other discussions/comparisons.

Fortunately or unfortunately, since this is DIY land, there are some major differences in amp configurations that are called META42. As was previously mentioned, META is the name of the circuit board (and I believe that there are at least 2 versions of the META circuit board). How that board gets populated can have a BIG effect on the sound. There are also 3 different versions of SuperMinis floating around.

From what others have posted previously, a well configured META42 will likely sound better than the latest version of the SuperMini. How much better? Donno... hard to tell without having both available to compare. And even if I did, that wouldn't mean that you would have the same opinion with the same gear.

Now, you have to decide... what really is your priority?

Is absolute sound the priority? Then ask one of the gurus here to build you a all-out META42.

Is portability more important? Then the SuperMini cannot be beat.

Is battery life most important? Then the SuperMini cannot be beat.

Is cost an issue? The SuperMini is less expensive than even a pretty basic META.

My $0.02. I've got a SuperMini and am very pleased with the sound. It's small enough to not be an issue while travelling. It's battery life is long enough so that I can take it on a trip and not have to change the batteries until well after I get home (I don't go for weeks at a time, thank GOD!). And the sound is very good. Clean, crisp highs, good bass, very fast and detailed. It matches well (to my ears anyway) with Etymotic ER4S and Grado 125.

BTW: Joe Dick reported clipping with his SuperMini. The only time I've ever heard clipping with the amp is when the batteries needed to be replaced. Once replaced, clipping went away. The interval between battery changes is well > 100 hours. Frankly, it's a long enough interval that I don't remember exactly.

Bottom line: you really can't go wrong with either amp. Just decide what the priority is and place an order. Or, better yet, get both! Get the SuperMini for your portable rig and a full blown, AC powered META42 for your at-home rig.

Good luck!
Bruce

Dec 21, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 17
I cannot see why someone would plan on using a super-mini for home use. However, for portable use, I don't see a better option provided it sounds as good as many people have claimed it to. I suppose the performance could be near the same level of a similarly configured meta42 using the same parts/power.

100hours? Wholey crap, is this using alkalines?

It doesn't matter to me whether or not the supermini sounds anything like a meta42, as long as it sounds good to my ears. I plan on getting one.

Has anyone used a supermini with a Beyerdynamic DT250-250? Or atleast the 80ohm version? Please comment.

Dec 22, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 17
BDA_ABAT
HI: I have a Max Out META42 and use 2-9 volt batt. When I checked out wal-warts I could only find 12 volt ones. I like the 18 volts that the 2-9 volt batt. give me and they last me a long time for home use. JMT gave me a web site that had a 18 volt wal-wart but I lost the info. My mistake. I think that most people who are using a wal-wart with the META are using a 12 volt one. I really dont know what difference that a 12 volt wal-wart would be compaired to the 2-9 volt batt. but I think JMT said 12 volts would not be as strong as the 2-9 volt batt. I go a real long time befor I need new batt. though. I am using the energizer E2 titanium batt.

Dec 22, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 17
HI: How are you? Do you notice a difference in power with the 12 vlot over the 2-9 volt batt? Thank you for the info on the 18 volt wal-wart.

Dec 22, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #15 of 17
That's a tough question to answer, I was using different cans with each power source. Battery driven portable > Etys, 12V adapter > Senn 580s. The 12V adapter powered the Meta42 well enough to drive the 580s very well. Had power to spare... I never did buy the Elpac.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back