META 42 parts list....
Mar 29, 2003 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AndyL

New Head-Fier
I am gonna build my meta 42 soon and need to match components for good quality....

-HD-600's
-Tangent's PCB
-Alps volume pot
-Never gonna be battery powered

I am thinking I'll build the crossfeed at the same time. I am using them mainly for producing music (trance mostly). What should I use to get the best overall sound? I need to have clear bass. I know tangent sells a few components along with the pcb's. I am great at soldering, but don't know the best components and where to get them from.

I might build a similar setup (same use) but for beyer 770's, should anything be differant?

Thanks!
-Andy

P.S. class a or not?

Mar 29, 2003 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

I am thinking I'll build the crossfeed at the same time.

I can't say I've heard much trance music, but do you really get hard left-right pans where it's annoying to listen to on headphones? Is there a "soundstage" of any kind? I would have thought that all trance music would be fine on headphones without crossfeed, just because of its nature.

Quote:

I need to have clear bass.

Get an Analog Devices op-amp and stack the buffers.

Quote:

class a or not?

JFETs are cheap.

Mar 29, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 4
Okay so skip the crossfeed (unless I want a project later) and go class A. Would the alternate (wall wart reccomended) opamps and parts on your site be ideal?

Like I said I really want to build with nice components, but I am a newb. (with electronics/design, not soldering)

Thanks for the input!
biggrin.gif

Andy

Mar 30, 2003 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Would the alternate (wall wart reccomended) opamps and parts on your site be ideal?

No such thing as an "ideal" op-amp or power supply. If you want my opinion on which particular one for your situation, I'd have to know more about that situation. But as a wild guess, a good linear-regulated wall supply like the Elpac WM080 I recommend and the AD843 would probably make you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back