Meta “Moth” phosis / Eddie Current EC2A3 / Undercover (pics 56K)
Nov 6, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I guess I can assume that the same applies to the S2A3. It is a beauty.

I assume the amp picture you posted is the same as KenW's Moth and would like to know whether Ken hears a background noise when he uses his Grados?

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
what i would really like to know is how MA managed to get the (relatively) massive power output of the 300bs down to a manageable level.
blink.gif

you dont *have* to run em full power. there are at least a few ways to "throttle" them while maintaing AWSOME sq.

Nov 6, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nblis
It’s hard to believe that Eddie Current amps aren't more sought after.
confused.gif

These amps look quite interesting. Is there any one place that all the amps that Eddie Current makes are listed? Or do you just find one and ask Eddie how much it costs?

I don't mean to be a smart-ass, but someone needs to help Eddie with marketing.

Thanks,
Noel[/QUOTE]

"I have been a workin overtime on it and ain't even an employee."
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
He is an engineering/design genius.
eek.gif
But needs a full time market expert to direct his efforts.
rolleyes.gif
He likes to create but not big on mass production. Strictly custom made at this point and if he can't change, should bill himself as such. And thats not a bad way to go, considering the modding that goes on around here. What if you asked Michael Angelo to reproduce the Sistine Chapel a hundred times for a new string of cathedrals going in across the United States? I don't think he would be interested.
tongue.gif
eggosmile.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #19 of 31
What if you asked Michael Angelo to reproduce the Sistine Chapel a hundred times for a new string of cathedrals going in across the United States? I don't think he would be interested.
tongue.gif
eggosmile.gif
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, now I undersand what happened to Moth.

Nov 6, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
I have been a workin overtime on it and ain't even an employee."
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
He is an engineering/design genius.
eek.gif
But needs a full time market expert to direct his efforts.
rolleyes.gif
He likes to create but not big on mass production. Strictly custom made at this point and if he can't change, should bill himself as such. And thats not a bad way to go, considering the modding that goes on around here. What if you asked Michael Angelo to reproduce the Sistine Chapel a hundred times for a new string of cathedrals going in across the United States? I don't think he would be interested.
tongue.gif
eggosmile.gif

I will second this. There was a time when I was trying to help, where I could, to get the word out on Craig's amps. I've owned 3 of them in the past and enjoyed each (still regret selling one of them.
wink.gif
). His Moth stuff is the definition of the word classic, which is why I have may add one to my inventory.

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #21 of 31
After hearing Craig’s EC2A3, it sold itself. It’s unfortunate, considering how unbelievably incredible his amps sound and retroly beautiful they look that only a handful of Head-Fiers actually own them. It doesn’t make much sense. Hopefully that will change because I believe most Head-Fiers wish to obtain the best sounding amp they can afford. At least that was my objective. Yet better marketing or popularity doesn’t necessarily mean better sound. This has been my experience during my amp quest. And those that have listened to a Moth Audio amp or an Eddie Current amp and written something about their listening experience rave about how phenomenally incredible they sound. Craig is a master artisan in the truest sense.
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #22 of 31
i absolutely love the retro look of the moth amps but i really don't see too many reviews on these amps. i would love to see a review comparing the singlepower,rkv, and ear hp4 to the moth amps.

i may buy one someday but i remember reading that moth audio is working on some new models so i'd figure i'd wait it out since i already have one headphone amp and it would be hard to justify two!

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tone
i absolutely love the retro look of the moth amps but i really don't see too many reviews on these amps. i would love to see a review comparing the singlepower,rkv, and ear hp4 to the moth amps.

i may buy one someday but i remember reading that moth audio is working on some new models so i'd figure i'd wait it out since i already have one headphone amp and it would be hard to justify two!

Moth Audio is not in existance any more.
basshead.gif
The amp builder for Moth was Craig Uthus. He is now the proprietor of Eddie Current.....Does he have a line-up in the works? Yes always, but when will it happen?????
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
Lets face it, he is a custom, one at a time, amp builder. But the very very best.
icon10.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #24 of 31
The good news is that I am still entranced and blown away by the EC2A3; and Craig has invited me to listen to Mikey’s “proto” Zana Duex. The not so bad news is that I am still entranced and blown away by the EC2A3; and Craig has invited me to listen to Mikey’s “proto” Zana Duex.

[size=small]Ignorance is bliss[/size]
evil_smiley.gif

[size=x-small]At least for now...[/size]
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #25 of 31
Hehe, go for it. I am very interested in your impressions of the Zana.

Cheers

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
....I listen to the Dual Mono -2 (DM-2) more. The DM-2 had a rough start as the first model had 12AU7 tubes, Blackgates, the output came off the cathode and had two gain stages, now the final/better version settled on 6J5 tubes and had film caps instead of Blackgates (a little less edgy) and only one gain stage with output comming off the plate. Sometimes less is definetly more. The big difference came with the tubes. The 6J5 tubes drive the 6G4B's to full resolution and sound 200% better than the 12AU7's did. The DM-2 is now more refined, natural and way less bloated sounding...

Mikey, a few questions on the evolution of your DM-2:
  1. There were three mods: Cap change, removal of one gain stage, and tube change. Did you have the work done one step at a time? How do you attribute the sound improvement to any one of the modifications?
  2. Also, can you drive Grados with your single stage version?

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #27 of 31
Three revisions came out as three seperate amplifiers. I had the first, and sent it back. As far as I know, the second version was never sent to me or anyone else, it was just not up to par. I now currently have the original third version. Yes it will drive grado's. The first version was very bloated in the bass and midrange and the highs were to course sounding.
frown.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #29 of 31
I was surprised when I read that the Moth Audio S2A3 had an audible hiss with Grados. I am listening to a pair or Grado SR225's with the original Moth S2A3 and hear no hiss or hum. Just music...

Nov 13, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiosceptic
I was surprised when I read that the Moth Audio S2A3 had an audible hiss with Grados. I am listening to a pair or Grado SR225's with the original Moth S2A3 and hear no hiss or hum. Just music...

I posted an e-mail from Craig stateing the problem with the hum. He admitted openly and freely that the hum exist. That is why he created the EC2A3SiH model for headphones instead of speakers, which eliminates the hum completely. Craig should know, he designed and built them himself. But I am very glad to here that it is not intrusive to your hearing. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back