Meta “Moth” phosis / Eddie Current EC2A3 / Undercover (pics 56K)
Nov 3, 2005 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Organizer for Can Jam '09
Well, I am happy to report the euphoria hasn’t worn off. I picked up a cover today from Joel the other mastermind behind Moth Audio. He designed the look of the products and the logo.

I dug up a mini-review about the very similar big brother (Si2A3) to the EC2A3. Here is the link, scroll to post #6 specifically:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...tuberoller+2A3

Here is the link to a review written a while ago about a very similar EC2A3:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=Moth+2A3

Here are some before pictures without the cover:

EC2A31C.jpg

EC2A32C.jpg

And the after shots with the cover:

EC2A33C.jpg

EC2A35C.jpg

EC2A34C.jpg

The total set-up:

EC2A36C.jpg

It’s hard to believe that Eddie Current amps aren't more sought after.
confused.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 31
Nice!
Now put some big versions of those pics in the Wallpaper thread, please.
The Wallpaper thread.

TIA

Nov 3, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 31
It’s hard to believe that Eddie Current amps aren't more sought after. QUOTE

Yeah! But we know. They are to die for. Cute cover.
tongue.gif
I dearly love my Eddie Current 2A3, loved it from the very first time I heard it. Although I listen to the Dual Mono -2 (DM-2) more. The DM-2 had a rough start as the first model had 12AU7 tubes, Blackgates, the output came off the cathode and had two gain stages, now the final/better version settled on 6J5 tubes and had film caps instead of Blackgates (a little less edgy) and only one gain stage with output comming off the plate. Sometimes less is definetly more. The big difference came with the tubes. The 6J5 tubes drive the 6G4B's to full resolution and sound 200% better than the 12AU7's did. The DM-2 is now more refined, natural and way less bloated sounding. The EC2A3 has a very organic sounding power supply and tops the bill. It is overly versital considering the fact that you can also use 2.5 volt 300B Mesh plate tubes in it just by rolling them in. A trully world class amp. The Zana Duex will morph into another revision as the feed tubes need to be changed in that also. We shall see where that goes. Hats off to Eddie Current.
icon10.gif
eggosmile.gif
lambda.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Nov 4, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 31
Mikey:

Good grief!
tongue.gif

You’ve owned almost every single Eddie Current amp. I can’t believe it. “Six” Eddie Current amps:

HD300
HD25
DM-1
DM-2
EC2A3
Zana Duex

Am I missing any?

It seems you are slowing making your way up the Eddie Current food chain? Is the Si2A3H or the Black Rose next?
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 31
I think the reason they aren't more popular at the moment is due to there being no production models available. Hopefully, that will change soon. I am hoping to add a Moth s2A3 amp to my rig before the end of the year.

Mikey01, the only regret I have since being on Head-Fi is selling that amp. Having said that, I am happy you still enjoy it as much as you do.
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Mikey:
Good grief!
tongue.gif

You’ve owned almost every single Eddie Current amp. I can’t believe it. “Six” Eddie Current amps:
HD300
HD25
DM-1
DM-2
EC2A3
Zana Duex
Am I missing any?
It seems you are slowing making your way up the Eddie Current food chain? Is the Si2A3H or the Black Rose next?
biggrin.gif

SACDlover has me beat in SinglrPower's and Senn. 650's.
eek.gif
tongue.gif

The next piece from EddieCurrent, I want Craig to build, is a "uranium and thorium rectified power supply", for the Zana Duex with many oil filled capacitors the size of institutional Tomato Soup cans.
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
eggosmile.gif
lambda.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I am hoping to add a Moth s2A3 amp to my rig before the end of the year.
biggrin.gif

I don’t know whether you have your eye on an Eddie Current Si2A3H or a Moth Audio Si2A3. But regardless, I hope you realize that the Moth Audio Corp Si2A3 wasn't intended as a headphone amp, but only properly plays high impedance cans such as the Senn HD650s. With low impedance cans such as Grado there is an audible background noise. Craig designed the Eddie Current Si2A3H with an out boarded power transformer so it will play both low and high impedance cans.

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I don’t know whether you have your eye on an Eddie Current Si2A3H or a Moth Audio Si2A3. But regardless, I hope you realize that the Moth Audio Corp Si2A3 wasn't intended as a headphone amp, but only properly plays high impedance cans such as the Senn HD650s. With low impedance cans such as Grado there is an audible background noise. Craig designed the Eddie Current Si2A3H with an out boarded power transformer so it will play both low and high impedance cans.

This is the one I am talking about. I believe it is an S2A3. You raise an issue I need to look into as I would need the amp to drive both.

s2a3.jpg

Nov 5, 2005 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 31
what i would really like to know is how MA managed to get the (relatively) massive power output of the 300bs down to a manageable level.
blink.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
what i would really like to know is how MA managed to get the (relatively) massive power output of the 300bs down to a manageable level.
blink.gif

something to do with subspace laser oscillators, i'm sure.

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

This is the one I am talking about. I believe it is an S2A3. You raise an issue I need to look into as I would need the amp to drive both.

That amp looks awesome. You should know none other then Craig Uthus brought this issue to my attention about the Si2A3.

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #13 of 31
It’s hard to believe that Eddie Current amps aren't more sought after.
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]

These amps look quite interesting. Is there any one place that all the amps that Eddie Current makes are listed? Or do you just find one and ask Eddie how much it costs?

I don't mean to be a smart-ass, but someone needs to help Eddie with marketing.

Thanks,
Noel

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
That amp looks awesome. You should know none other then Craig Uthus brought this issue to my attention about the Si2A3.

I guess I can assume that the same applies to the S2A3. It is a beauty.

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

s2a3.jpg

Hi tyrion:

Thanks so much for posting that picture of the original Moth s2A3 amplifier. That is probably still the best looking incarnation of the Moth s2A3 chassis ever made; from the faceted ruby red power lamp to the retro looking banana switch label, it is really a joy to look at. Indeed, I think it even came equipped with a cloth covered, permanently attached, power cord!! (Just like what you would find on an antique steam iron or breakfast toaster!) Probably will never see the likes of it again, unfortunately.
frown.gif

For those of you who may be interested, a review, by Steven Rochlin, of this original Moth s2A3 amplifier can be found in SoundStage! magazine at the following link:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/steve05.htm .

There is also a review of it in issue #12 of Vacuum Tube Valley:

http://www.vacuumtube.com/issue12.htm .

–Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back