Messenger Bag.... Fi!
Nov 30, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #226 of 260

Quote:
The tarp-like inside surface is a PVC tarp liner sewn into the bag and not bonded to the Cordura. With the standard bag, there's no choice but to line the outer pockets, flap for the outer pockets and the main compartment with a sturdy PVC lining to make the bag weather resistant. With the AP bag, the outer pockets don't have a PVC liner because the PTFE membrane bonded to the Cordura will keep things dry although you will notice the flap for the outer pockets still has a PVC layer sewn in. The main compartment also has a PVC liner but it's much thinner than the one on a standard bag because the PTFE aids in the weather resistance so a thicker liner is not required. It's nice that the liner isn't as stiff on the AP bags but I find the VX fabric to be much stiffer than standard Cordura. With a bit of use, it does loosen up somewhat. I do worry that the thinner liner might be susceptible to damage from hard pointy objects compared to the sturdier liner of the standard bags. Of course, I have a friend who has a standard Monty and the PVC is cracking on the flap for the outer pockets because she stuff them far too full and it causes the flap to sit awkwardly.

[snip]

The MW is one of the nicest looking bags out there. The rectangular design makes it ideal for carrying books, binders, files, laptops, etc. The pockets are very nice for commuters. The roll-top is great for really keeping stuff dry. I find a lot of messenger bags to be well shaped for aerodynamics on a bike but their shapes tend to make it less ideal for fitting bulky items or items that are hard with no give. But the bag isn't perfect. I find that accessing a fairly full main compartment even with the strap fully expanded to be an exercise in futility because of the tall walls of the roll-top closure. The depth is 5.5 inches which is a little narrow for carrying bulky items so you tend to fill the bag vertically which means whatever you're looking for invariably ends up buried under too much crap. I don't find it's a good "working" messenger bag. If I have to access stuff frequently, I keep them in the outer pockets. I'm considering getting MW to custom build a longer strap so the bag will sit lower when I expand the strap fully. It's comfortable but I feel the PAC is more comfortable especially with the removable back pad to keep the pointy things from jabbing my back.

So the AP versions have nicer inner linings, thinner fabric, and may even be lighter than the standard? Arghhhh why did I discover this brand before they started selling the AP iterations.

You hit the nail right on the head with the "tall walls" comment--I keep some things in the bag's zip compartment for quicker access. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #227 of 260
Just wondering, is there like an insert or something I can get for my Timbuk2 to use for carrying records?

I don't need to carry more than say... 10 at a time. It would just be nice to have something other than a grocery bag to carry my goodies home from the record store.

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #228 of 260

There she is, my $20 Rothco bag. Seems pretty strong, even though the construction is a little "eh" (fraying on the edges of the inside zipper pocket, a few loose stitches etc), but I sealed all the frayed ends with thin superglue, and tacced all the loose threads down, and now she seems pretty strong. Good for carrying say: a portable rig, a book and a folder or two to the library or class, but not for hauling a whole desk around (that's what my actual backpack is for, a Dakine sport pack). I like it, and the Infidel tab that I  attatched makes me smile.

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #229 of 260

Quote:
when I need to dress up a bit more:

2003.jpg

Bottega Veneta Messenger.

Almost a purse, I know :p

Congrats from... Venice...! Even though I live here I've never seen this model. Really beautiful!

May 16, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #232 of 260
I've got an XL black weatherproof timbuk2 messenger bag for sale as well that'll fit 17" laptops -_-  willing to hear best offers.

THIS is my favorite bag of all time - I have it in all black, but this orangy color is nice--too. 

It's pretty rare to see one of these on Ebay now especially brand new, since the bag was discontinued maybe 8 years ago.  Oakley original Sandbag (1.0).  I have had the newer AP bag and it was nowhere near as good--in fact it gets HORRIBLE reviews for good reason due to the design flaw of the straps.  It's hilarious to read these reviews because they're so true--one guy was saying that the bag falls off of its strap all the time, but he still uses it and would rather duct tape it because he wants to get his money's worth (around $140 for the newer designs).  I'm sure they've fixed the problem, but I think the model I'm referring to is either the Sandbag AP 1.0 or 2.0. 

this is not my auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OAKLEY-SANDBAG-BACKPACK-SLING-SHOULDER-BAG-NEW-/370612002858?pt=AU_Men_Accessories&hash=item564a32602a

I used to have it in the olive green color.  My recently acquired black bag did not come with the detachable cell phone pouch - around the time this bag was sold, cell phones were cooler the smaller they were :p

I'll take detailed pics of mine when I have a chance--it makes THE perfect gear bag with it's many many useful compartments/hidden compartments/pouches.  Very rugged ballistic nylon with ripstop outerflap as well.  Will easily hold lots of stuff in it, including a netbook or 13-14" laptop or iPad.  Would make a great DSLR bag as well if you have a protective smaller case for the camera. It does not have a dedicated padded compartment, however, except for the mp3 player.  Problem easily solved with a neoprene case for the laptop, or if you're just pretty careful like me you'll be fine throwing your laptop in here. 

Even has a dedicated mp3 player pouch inside that has the headphone cable port (hole) so you can pull the headphones through it and keep the mp3 player in the bag.  You can see the circular port on the left upper part of the bag.  The fit is very secure and comfortable.  the main strap is adjustable and there is a waist strap as well if you want to use it. 

They made this bag in red as well.  Retail was $90 or $95 i believe....really wish they still made this.  If I had to, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $150 for a new one.  I could not have designed a better bag for my gear :D   It even has a little net at the bottom of the zipper of the main compartment so that most things won't fall out easily if you accidentally pick the bag up with it unzipped all the way. 

Might be worth putting on a saved search for some of you guys. 

May 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #234 of 260
Wow, I'll stick with the $20 rothco bag (yes, I know that's like saying "I like iBuds") and my Dakine backpack, although the dakine is getting a bit beat, it's still running strong after 2 years of daily college use. It's comfortable even with ~50lbs of gear (laptop + physics textbooks and folders). The front pocket is even the perfect size for a set of headphones.

The Oakley Flack Pack looks nice though...

May 21, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #235 of 260
i feel lucky to have picked mine up slightly used for $65 on ebay not too long ago.  I sold mine a few years ago for about 75...should never have sold it.

May 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #237 of 260
Quote:

There she is, my $20 Rothco bag. Seems pretty strong, even though the construction is a little "eh" (fraying on the edges of the inside zipper pocket, a few loose stitches etc), but I sealed all the frayed ends with thin superglue, and tacced all the loose threads down, and now she seems pretty strong. Good for carrying say: a portable rig, a book and a folder or two to the library or class, but not for hauling a whole desk around (that's what my actual backpack is for, a Dakine sport pack). I like it, and the Infidel tab that I  attatched makes me smile.

nice looking bag.  i have one that is similar to it--but khaki and made by Levi's x A.Kurtz....kinda military style.  

here's a good looking bag that's only $30 by A.Kurtz but looks like it's sold out from this place  

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #240 of 260
nice looking bag.  i have one that is similar to it--but khaki and made by Levi's x A.Kurtz....kinda military style.  

here's a good looking bag that's only $30 by A.Kurtz but looks like it's sold out from this place  

Thanks!
Must have been a good buy! All the A.Kurtz bags I'm finding are in the ~60+ range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back