Messenger Bag.... Fi!
Sep 26, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #196 of 260

Quote:
I love how they're the "real thing" when companies like Timbuk2 were one of the first to make bike courier bags.

Then, age of the company means nothing to me. Tesla Motors is one of the youngest automakers around but their product line shows more of the future than any of their competition.

Quote:
I think both chrome and mission workshop are made by people who previously worked for timbuk2.

Its a messenger-slash-cyclist kind of thing. Timbuk2 lost their street creed, after moving production offshore. Plus the stuff is consumer quality, not pro.

Just catching up on the thread, as I may treat myself to a bag, for when I get out of this full arm splint. Wished I still had my mini metro, but then again the belt buckle can get irritating on such a small bag.

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #197 of 260
Damn thread making me want to spend money. I have an original T2 Commute messenger and I like it a lot, but have been thinking about getting something new. The  Mission Workshop bags look great, but they don't have enough pics on their site. Does anyone have their VX bag?

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #198 of 260
Their flckr has quite a few pics, but I don't think any of the VX.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluelug/collections/72157624628729684/

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #199 of 260

Quote:
...Does anyone have their VX bag?

Quote:
Their flckr has quite a few pics, but I don't think any of the VX.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluelug/collections/72157624628729684/

I have a VX Rummy (in slate color), but it's not with me at the moment.  I'll take some photos of it in the next couple of days and post 'em.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #200 of 260

Quote:

I have a VX Rummy (in slate color), but it's not with me at the moment.  I'll take some photos of it in the next couple of days and post 'em.

Awesome, that would be much appreciated. I'm interested in the front pocket layout since it specifically says it fits a 15" macbook and also the inside. I think you also have the Monty. Which do you like more? $250 is expensive, but it looks like an awesome bag so just want to make sure it has what I want.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #201 of 260
Jude, could you possibly also take a pic of the Monty and Rummy side-by-side, and on your back? I'm considering moving up if need be, but the Rummy does appear quite bigger than I'd like.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #202 of 260
Not much to add. Just wanted to say I use a Timbuk2 Classic Messenger as my everyday bag and love it thus far. I didn't like that nylon tweed material, but found this one made of waxed canvas on sale so about $40. Could not be happier. In fact, I have the Timbuk2 Commute bag in waxed canvas in the exact same color for times I want to take my laptop around.

Around San Francisco, I see Chrome bags everywhere. I don't believe I've seen any Mission Workshop bags around (that I've noticed, at least), but the Monty model looks quite nice from the pictures. Whenever my Timbuk2 breaks down (probably won't be for several years), I'll definitely consider a Mission Workshop. 

Oddly, I find messenger bags uncomfortable when I'm biking. I much prefer my Gregory backpack that's designed for hiking. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #203 of 260
I got a Patagonia Half Mass messenger bag. My main criteria was to get a bag with good rain protection/padding for my laptop. Its been really great, I've been through some really hairy rain and the insides stayed perfectly dry.
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/half-mass-messenger-bag?p=48315-0-252

I was considering the Timbuk2 Command and the Commute but then I realized that their separate padded laptop compartment wasn't weatherproofed.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #204 of 260
My wife just got one of these for me: http://www.onabags.com/store/messengers-and-backpacks/the-union-street.html?color=black#black

Not tons of room but definitely very happy with it as a work bag...

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #206 of 260
Damn, those Mission Workshop bags look really sweet as does that Union Street bag.

My messenger bag needs have mostly been fulfilled by either custom Timbuk2s or a Waterfield Cargo (sfbags.com). The lifetime warranty on the Timbuk2 is awesome. Had the plastic buckle break on me once so sent the bag in and they gave me credit to order a completely new one. Always wanted to get a Booq bag as they look nice as well but since these damn bags never break down it's hard to justify. =p

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #207 of 260
I'm a daily commuting cyclist and I found that a Hazard4 MOD bag works very well for me.  It sports some great stuff and is extremely durable (1000D Dupont Cordura material) with really good stitching.  I've taken a number of spills biking, especially with pedestrians everywhere avoiding them can sometimes be a challenge and I'll find myself eating pavement.  The bag doesn't have one single scratch or scuff or loose end, or torn fabric layer.  Its wide enough that I can easily fit my chunky PIMETA v2 portable amp in there as well, along with regular every day stuff.

If you're interested in a good bag you should check that one out.

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #208 of 260
Darn it, this place even makes me spend money on bags!
mad.gif

tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #209 of 260

Quote:

I was hoping you'd be able to post some pics already, but I understand you're probably super busy. Hopefully after RMAF you'll have some time. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back