MESHUGGAH: Appreciation Thread
Mar 1, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's new in the re-issued version?

Here's more info about the re-issue, from the album's page on metal-archives.com -

This new version features the rhythm guitar tracks re-recorded with new guitars
and amplifiers. The guitar tracks on the original Nothing were recorded with
detuned 7-string Ibanez guitars, as the Nevborn custom 8-string guitars they
owned suffered from bad intonation and became detuned between each recording.
When guitarists Hagström and Thordendal were sponsored by Ibanez with custom
8-string guitars, they were so pleased with the results that they decided to
re-record their parts with the new instruments.

The drums were also redone by triggering the original drum hits using Drumkit
from Hell Superior. The vocals were not re-recorded, but were given extra
dramatic effects. Aside from the re-recorded guitars and triggered drum samples,
there are only two songs significantly modified from their original version. The
tempo of "Nebulous" has been lowered, and the length of "Obsidian" has nearly
been doubled. Also the rest of the songs from the re-release seem to be
minimally longer than the original release.

The re-release also includes a DVD of video clips and their Download Festival
performance in 2005, as well as modified cover art.

It sounds even heavier than the original 2002 version...the tone of those 8-string axes is like a steamroller!
icon10.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm slowly easing my way into Meshuggah. I listen to a tiny bit of metal (Opeth and Tool <3), and I don't consider myself a metalhead at all, so this is proving to be a bit of a challenge. I'm listening mainly to ObZen and Destroy Erase Improve.

My only real problem is, I get quite the headache from listening to Meshuggah - it is damn loud.

What's new in the re-issued version?

IMO, those are not the best albums to ease your way in. DEI is genius, but its a very different sound as compared to what theyve morphed into post Catch 33 and I. It has its polyrhythmic moments and, indications of the precision based metal to come, but its still thrash-metal at its core.

Obzen is an amalgamation of all their sounds; combining tracks that sound like they could have come from any of their previous albums-its almost like a "greatest hits" album of songs never released (if that makes any sense).

Start with Nothing, then move on to Catch 33-->1-->Obzen and then, go back to their earlier releases.

Keep in mind- its suppossed to be "challenging"; they purposely built it that way. Just keep listening...the reward will come and when it does, it will change the way you listen/perceive music.

Theres a reason TOOL has such respect for them.

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #19 of 21
Apr 6, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #21 of 21
I disagree about the re-mastered/recorded version of Nothing, I think the bass is overblown and the new guitar parts don't really add anything fresh to the songs, just different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back