MESHUGGAH: Appreciation Thread
Feb 23, 2010 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Felt inclined to write this up as I simply cannot remember the last time (if ever), I have been so continuously impressed by and interested in, an extreme metal band.

4 years ago, I tried for nearly a year to get into Catch 33, but to me, it sounded like nails on a chalkboard. One day it all just clicked and my musical tastes have not been the same since. Now, 11 albums and 3 years later, I can say they are definitively one of the most talented group of musicians I have ever heard. Their music is quite literally ahead of its time; incredibly challenging to the listener, yet equally rewarding to those who invest their time.

The music they make is minimal, yet astonishingly complex and melodic at the same time. The true definition of progressive; I have no doubt that they will one day be viewed as one of the greatetst metal bands of all time.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 21
I remember hearing catch 33 3/4 years ago after seeing the guitarists mentioned in guitar techniques magazine.

At the time I thought it was technically very good, you could tell they were very accomplished players but I never really progressed to listening to any more of their stuff. I guess the songs didnt take hold of me enough, for me to seek out their other albums.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 21
I also thought Catch 33 was an awful mess the first time I listened to it. A few months later it really clicked. Try listening to it on speakers while submerged in a bathtub!

Catch 33, Nothing and Destroy Erase Improve are my faves from Meshuggah.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 21
As much as I like some of their songs and albums, I just cant sit thru an entire album. It gives me a headache. Catch 33 and Nothing are good albums IMO. Didnt like the new one all that much

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 21
I'm a big fan. They're a difficult band to get into but rewarding if you give them a chance.

Just saw them play at Soundwave on Saturday. The kickdrum in Bleed was enough to make you think you were having a heart attack.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by EtherealApril /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a big fan. They're a difficult band to get into but rewarding if you give them a chance.

Just saw them play at Soundwave on Saturday. The kickdrum in Bleed was enough to make you think you were having a heart attack.

I saw them play with ISIS last year. One of the best shows ive ever been too.
Big mistake not using earplugs that night.

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 21
I love Isis, wish I could have seen that show
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried to get into Meshuggah a while back but it was just too heavy for me. I've been thinking about the band recently and giving it another go. After reading this I'll go out and pick up one of their CDs. Which one is best to jump in with?

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lasraik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Isis, wish I could have seen that show
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried to get into Meshuggah a while back but it was just too heavy for me. I've been thinking about the band recently and giving it another go. After reading this I'll go out and pick up one of their CDs. Which one is best to jump in with?

Although Catch 33 started it all for me, in some way I feel that Nothing is the most accessible (relatively speaking). Not to say that Nothing isnt a complex, layered, monster of an album, because it is just that. However, they've slowed down the tempo here a bit and actually added (dare I say) a little melody which might make the transition to their overall style, a bit easier.

Oh yeah-if you get Nothing, make sure to get the "re-issued" version.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lasraik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Destroy Erase Improve and Nothing are the best start-off points.

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 21
I'm slowly easing my way into Meshuggah. I listen to a tiny bit of metal (Opeth and Tool <3), and I don't consider myself a metalhead at all, so this is proving to be a bit of a challenge. I'm listening mainly to ObZen and Destroy Erase Improve.

My only real problem is, I get quite the headache from listening to Meshuggah - it is damn loud.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although Catch 33 started it all for me, in some way I feel that Nothing is the most accessible (relatively speaking). Not say that Nothing isnt a monster, complex, layered monster of an album, because it is just that. However, they've slowed down the tempo here a bit and actually added (dare I say) a little melody which might make the transition to their overall style, a bit easier.

Oh yeah-if you get Nothing, make sure to get the "re-issued" version.

What's new in the re-issued version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back