Meridian MQA firmware updates for the Prime and Explorer2
Feb 4, 2016 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
HI All,

Today Meridian released new downloads for the Prime headphone amp and Explorer2 Dac..

From Meridian today!

MQA Firmware - AVAILABLE NOW

We are delighted to announce that MQA decoding firmware is available NOW. 

Firmware updates for Explorer² and Prime Headphone Amplifier can be accessed directly by customers from the support section of the main website:

Explorer² - CLICK HERE
Prime Headphone Amplifier - CLICK HERE

We have both units available and in stock. You can check them out here

Meridian Explorer2

Meridian Prime

Todd

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 24
WELL I'M ON THE SITE AND CAN FIND NO PLACE TO DOWNLOAD THE 'meridian DAC downloader"

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 24
Thanks for the update. Bummer that the Meridian Director was left out of the party.

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 24
Feb 4, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 24
Anybody successfully updated their E2?  On my Win7 machine, I get the following error message stating that it found my Meridian Explorer 2 device ID and an error has been detected, with Meridian's support/contact numbers.

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 24
  Anybody successfully updated their E2?  On my Win7 machine, I get the following error message stating that it found my Meridian Explorer 2 device ID and an error has been detected, with Meridian's support/contact numbers.

I got that too and sent an email to Meridian support. They are exchanging my unit for a new one.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 24
The update via Macbook worked perfectly.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 24
Finally managed to update mine last night ( tried the night before immediately after the update was posted ).

Panda AV detects the dacupdater program as a virus and deletes it !!!

Doesn't work with my JRiver MC but does with Fubar 2000 ( install asio or wasapi plugin and configure as output - Meridian suggest wasapi with output set 24 bits ). MQA seems to turn off if I reduce the volume in fubar from 100% but thats "get roundable".

First impressions very positive indeed.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #11 of 24
Originally Posted by AitchKay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Doesn't work with my JRiver MC but does with Fubar 2000 ( install asio or wasapi plugin and configure as output - Meridian suggest wasapi with output set 24 bits ). MQA seems to turn off if I reduce the volume in fubar from 100% but thats "get roundable".

Not good. That's what I exclusively use.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 24
Working with JRiver MC now - same type of issue as with Foobar.

Set audio device = E2 (WASAPI)
Set Bit Depth = 24bit Integer
DSP Studio - disable everything and set channels = source number of channels

Turn JRiver MC volume to 100% ( careful if your explorer control panel also has volume up high - caught me out and nearly deafened myself ) ( MQA turns off at less than 100% volume - does in Foobar too )

Jobs a good un 

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 24
I upgraded my firmware few days ago. But it's a really a matter of comparison between what components. 

Assuming I can tell the difference between the MQA and normal CD quality file based on MQA decoder DAC. (MQA better than normal lossless file ofc). But if let you compare MQA file on MQA decoder like explorer2 with combination of other serious DAC and Amplifier. Don't really think the music file will make any huge difference. That's my personal opinion. 

There are little MQA decoder device out there to let you judge the MQA file objectively in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back