Meridian G08. Good Value second hand?
Feb 8, 2005 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Blainethepain

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking at upgrading my source for a little while. I have a Rega Jupiter at the moment. But now I have the chance of buying a mint condition Meridian G08 for £1400 (they are £2225 new). It's a year old with only light use. This strikes me as a pretty good deal. What do the G08 owners (or anyone else for that matter) think? Thanks for your help.
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 8
That's a pretty good price for the UK considering the whole place is heavily taxed. Personally I wouldn't go over £1300 for one. Might be worth you going for the G07 rather than the G08. They are nearly identical apart from one thing that's the balanced outputs. Seeming as you have the Earmax Pro Anniv. Why pay for a feature you are not going to use?

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Might be worth you going for the G07 rather than the G08. They are nearly identical apart from one thing that's the balanced outputs.

Actually there are a lot of differences - the G08 has balanced outputs as you said, but it also uses a DVD-ROM drive, rather than the CD transport that the G07 uses. It also can play mp3's (probably won't use that feature), and most importantly it Upsamples to 24/176.4 rather than just using a 24/192 DAC to convert a 16/44.1 signal like the G07.

I was thinking of getting a used G07, but rather got a used 588 instead because it uses the DVD-ROM drive and upsamples.

IMHO - hold out for the G08 or get a used 588.

Feb 8, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blainethepain
I have been looking at upgrading my source for a little while. I have a Rega Jupiter at the moment. But now I have the chance of buying a mint condition Meridian G08 for £1400 (they are £2225 new). It's a year old with only light use.

If it's in sound condition, you should be very happy. My G08 transformed my #1 system and continues to delight. Perhaps you can audition it in your system before buying?

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver
Dont wanna get into vinyl?

I would like to get back into vinyl. Got about 250 LPs sitting in my loft along with an old Rega Planer 2 (broken). Would it be worth getting it repaired? I bought it in 1986 - 87.

I'm still considering the G08, I have until Saturday to decide.

Cheers for the advice guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back