Meridian G08 1st impressions
May 1, 2004 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tk_suki

100+ Head-Fier
This will be lame but something.

Rec`d Meridian G08 12hrs ago. Listened maybe 3hrs. Playing 12hrs+.

Setup:
1)G08 - of course
2)Cardas NR RCA -> Pre
3) Stealth - pre->:
4.a)CD3000s
4.b)HD650
4.c)AudioTech high-end cheapies RCA cables $10 ->
5) Yamaha Yamaha-DSP-AX1300 - HT amp ->
6) B&W 603S3

B4 I proceed I recommend reading:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70277
+ Steve Pinker "How the Mind Works" pages 528-538 and if you have time the whole book.

Absolutley Amazing!

In the voice of Howard Cossell, vinyl looks like you got some competition.

Seriously. I am no audiophile, yet. But today was a nice day temp in low 70s F so resisted playing with my new toy and went to play some other disc. On the way home stopped by audio stores picked up a new CD, I lost my prime stash accidentally checking out CDPs a few weeks ago. Anyway, for the 1st time saw Meridians on the shelves in Japan! Just the G07 but same price as US list. G07 was on a nice Zoethecus stand with other Meridian components, but not playing at the time. So I listened to the other setups, pretty expensive stuff, Krell, Esoteric, Luxman, etc... Nice extension and detail but still digital sounding, lacking smoothness.

Well the Meridian on my modest setup sounds much nicer to me. Excellent detail, but very smooth, almost(not quite but darn close) to analog, in some ways better, so far all of my CDs sound great with Vinyl a crap shoot, but for those quality records well games afoot, vinly still has that Je ne sais quoi. Now I do recall the Wadia 861 version up(SE) perhaps slightly more detailed, but again smoothness, hmm. The Esoteric P70vu + D70VU + G0s was as good, detailed, smooth, perhaps better but dang 4X cost and doubt in a double blind I would care after a beer or two/three.

I want to listen to a record but can not! Well a new toy so of course getting most attention.

I agree with Edwood, Meridian needs to take it the next step and get into audio server. By the by, fortunately, I backed up half my reference/prime stash lost using EAC, for the iHP, so need to burn some CDs to recover those. But having to much fun with the music now.

I went for the G08 blind, ok a number of positive reviews and legendary name of Meridian made it easier. I did eval a number of players, except for the Wadia and high-end Esoterics, differences in others were subtle, and hard to recall, causing considerable frustration. I want cheapest if I can not tell the dif. The tube CDPs had the nicest sound e.g. stock Shanling, Cayin and Cary but overall detail did seem to be slightly below the solid states, but the solid states were fatiguing, as I recall.

I spent over 3 months in my quest and could spend the rest of my life, but not going to I am happy with the G08 so far, as well I better for what I paid for it, but it could go back for a mere $100.

I chose the G08 for the following reasons:
#1 - 30 day trial period from TTVJ. Still have time to change my mind. No other vendor in Japan was willing to provide such terms, which in my opinion is a must. It takes time to evaluate gear 30 days is about right maybe 2wks which is all I have left thanks to customs. While I am impressed after initial listening, not all new toy syndrom, not going to conclude greatness yet, but optimism does exist!

#2 - No other CDP I had a chance to listen to except those in the $10K range stood out. I have had good success with Head-fi , Audiogon and Asylum user remarks so with the overwheliming POSITIVE feedback on Meridians compared to any other brand, figured a calculated risk. They have good resale value too.

#3 - Engineering. A dedicated redbook CDP. Nearly all the circuitry is for redbook. No SACD, DVD-A to complicate and dilute redbook performance. Costs xtra to add the Uni features. The rest of the Eng, DVD-ROM drive, buffers, etc... I now own only 1 SACD. Most of my music is in redbook and most music avail is in redbook. While SACD&DVD-A titles are increasing rapidly still not as pervasive. I will buy a separate SACD and/or DVD-A l8r as music selection increase and as prices come down on HW.

#4 - Semi-Universal PSU. Works in all of Japan(Tokyo and Osaka are dif) or US, no transformer required. Believe my Roksan TT is same, darn Brits think about these things.

#5 - Size, space is an issue for me. I do live in Tokyo, tight. My audio equip collection is growing and need to accomodate.

That`s it for now.

May 1, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 16
Thanks tk_suki! Sounds very favorable. I can appreciate your frustration in the digital quest. The tubed DACs are the best I've found so far (Audio Note, Wavelength Audio, plus others), but someday I'd like to find a single box player for my headphone system. I'm going to see if I can demo a G08 from a local dealer. The Meridians seem to be a good value. I also agree a dedicated redbook player is the way to go if you want good redbook playback. my other favorite toy is an iBook with a tubed USB DAC. Imagine having the great sound of the G08 with instant access to hundreds of CDs
600smile.gif

May 1, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 16
Are you referring to the Cosecant USB Computer DAC?

This one slipped by me. I was originally trying to build a audio server but gave up figured still a year or so b4 realizable. I have a nice HTPC and would love to have nearly all my music on hand via PC. I have heard some favorable comments on the Apogee Big Ben clock and Mini Dac(USB) but not tubed.

So whats the damage for your USB Dac, do tell! I am all ears.

In the meantime, I can with a little xtra effort burn my fav music to CDs and get the G08 performance.

-tk

May 1, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 16
Recommended List from web-site:

# Cosecant USB tube dac transformer coupled output and Transcendental DAC module $3500 NEW!
# Cosine tube DAC with transformer coupled output and Transcendental DAC module $3500

What is guestimate street price? Same?

Kind of pricey but if competes with G08 maybe worth it and then some for convenience. In fact if even close to G08, well needs to be very close. While convenience is nice, there is a big jump from vinyl to CDP but PC well, I can burn a CD quick and do not always want to have a display to navigate.

Wish we were closer this sounds like a great comparison run-off.

May 1, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 16
I think it's interesting because it is USB connected and the USB connection is supposed to eliminate jitter (vs. standard coaxial and optical outputs).

It is, however, extremely expensive, and probably not discounted significantly because it is such a boutique brand (there are occaisionally "sales", if you can call it that, at the Wavelength website).

Hopefully, other manufacturers will also develop external, USB, tube DACs, but at more reasonable prices.

May 1, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 16
To illustrate how nice this sounds, I am softly, coz it is late, back to headphones real soon, listening to Black Sabbath something I have not even considered for a year or so. While heavy,it is very musical. My fiance is away, so reason I am going heavy but even to me this is amazing how smooth it sounds. Yes still hard rock but for quite some time I could only listen to this CD for getting pumped, not critical music enjoyment, now sounds musical, followed Rickie Lee Jones and Catrin Finch. B4 that Tommy Bolin, LOTR sound track, Dvorak,b etc... point is I am going all over the genres and performance is excellent.

BTW I have only spent an hour on headphones, but expect to increase real soon, initial results were very good. I am still partial to my CD3000s vs HD650s but depends on music, they both sound much better.

This is wonderful!

May 2, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 16
My local Meridian dealer does not keep the G08 on hand so I can't demo it. I purchased the Cosecant USB DAC because I already the had Cosine DAC in my headphone system and so was familiar with it. With headphones the Cosine is terrific. It is incredibly smooth, has great headstage and sounds very natural. Since nothing is perfect the only thing that bugs me about the Cosine is that it is not the most dynamic DAC and can make some music sound a bit slow. But with most of the music I listen to through headphones -- jazz, classical, bluegrass, space, other acoustic stuff -- it's great, and the character of the Cosine allows me to listen to headphones for extended periods without any fatigue at all. The Cosine has beat several other redbook players for pure headphone pleasure.

I have not compared the Cosecant to the Cosine so I don't know how they compare. But they are the same design so should be similar except for differences in redbook vs hard drive playback. The Cosecant is a beautiful example of industrial design and it works flawlessly. The Cosecant is pricey, but Gordon's stuff is because he hand builds all of it. Today there seems to be several cheap USB DACs and then the Cosecant with little or nothing in the middle. I hope this is remedied soon. Gordon used to design computers so he understand the technology and how to design for it. I received a discount on the Cosecant only because of my relationship with the dealer. Right now I would not use the Cosecant in my headphone system because I have not yet found an external hard drive to store the music files that is silent. The one I use in my home office system with the Cosecant is noisy, but I'm able to hide it behind some books that keep me from hearing it.

Still, I'm very curious about the G08 because someday I'd like to downsize to a single box in my headphone system, but not without a demo.

May 2, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budrew
My local Meridian dealer does not keep the G08 on hand so I can't demo it. I purchased the Cosecant USB DAC because I already the had Cosine DAC in my headphone system and so was familiar with it. With headphones the Cosine is terrific. It is incredibly smooth, has great headstage and sounds very natural. Since nothing is perfect the only thing that bugs me about the Cosine is that it is not the most dynamic DAC and can make some music sound a bit slow. But with most of the music I listen to through headphones -- jazz, classical, bluegrass, space, other acoustic stuff -- it's great, and the character of the Cosine allows me to listen to headphones for extended periods without any fatigue at all. The Cosine has beat several other redbook players for pure headphone pleasure.

I have not compared the Cosecant to the Cosine so I don't know how they compare. But they are the same design so should be similar except for differences in redbook vs hard drive playback. The Cosecant is a beautiful example of industrial design and it works flawlessly. The Cosecant is pricey, but Gordon's stuff is because he hand builds all of it. Today there seems to be several cheap USB DACs and then the Cosecant with little or nothing in the middle. I hope this is remedied soon. Gordon used to design computers so he understand the technology and how to design for it. I received a discount on the Cosecant only because of my relationship with the dealer. Right now I would not use the Cosecant in my headphone system because I have not yet found an external hard drive to store the music files that is silent. The one I use in my home office system with the Cosecant is noisy, but I'm able to hide it behind some books that keep me from hearing it.

Still, I'm very curious about the G08 because someday I'd like to downsize to a single box in my headphone system, but not without a demo.

Are you bothered more by the high pitched whine of idle noise, or the clicking, crunching seek noise?

You could try and build your own external drive based on a Seagate Barracuda drive. They are the quietest of 3.5" hard drives. Notebook drives are quieter, but storage space is still small. Although there is a 100GB one coming out soon. (hint hint, a Merdian Jukebox should have a couple of these, they'll be a very quiet storage.)

-Ed

May 2, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 16
What bothers me is the external hard drive I store the music on has a fan or something that spins when it's powered up (feeding iTunes). I need space so a small hard drive won't work. Currently I've almost filled 160 GBs.

May 2, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

What bothers me is the external hard drive I store the music on has a fan or something that spins when it's powered up (feeding iTunes). I need space so a small hard drive won't work. Currently I've almost filled 160 GBs.

Maxtor makes a 3.5" 5400rpm drive that should suit your needs exactly. Get an external enclosure for it and it'll be silent. Because of the slower rotational speed, you won't need a fan to cool it, and it'll be quieter as well, and because it's not designed for speed, the heads don't move as fast, also decreasing noise. It's also 300GB, which makes for plenty of storage space.

May 2, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Are these things easy to put together? I'm no techie.

you'll undo about 4 screws, plug in 2 different plugs that only can fit the right way, and then snap it back together and put the screws in.

just go to newegg.com and look at their selection of external drive holders. Should cost from $20-50 and you'll want something that has a USB interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back