Meridian Explorer
Feb 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vo_obgyn

100+ Head-Fier
Does anybody else in this forum think that this is one great DAC? I've had mine for a couple of days and it sounds great. I like it better than the Dragonfly. Handles up to 192K too. MacBook Pro > Pure Music > Meridian Explorer DAC > AKG 702's is my set up.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 7
Todd the Vinyl Junkie

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 7
Or search for local dealer and give them a call
http://www.meridian-audio.com/en/experience-meridian/

For me a dealer is only 5 miles away, they have a demo unit.   and 10 more will arrive in few days.  It's always safe to try it before buying.

I trust Meridian sound, without listening I directly ordered from Todd last week, shipped today. :)

Quote:
Todd the Vinyl Junkie

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 7
It would be interesting to do a comparison against the AQ Dragonfly since these are similar form-factor devices.

Thanks for the links and interested in further observations from folks on the Meridian.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 7
I have since yesterday This device is very well worth its price - I use it with a PC thinkpad and windows 8 I installed foobar 2000 with WASAPI component running in the best mode - As for the sound it is incredible for just 300 euros -
I am mesmerized by its realistic sound, I am a long time follower of Meridian sound, and anyone should give it a try Actually I think this little device will turn many an amateur into trying their more expensive line The explorer is so good as a headphone amp, it drives my high impedance HD650 so well beyond expectations - Still some flacs needs a dedicated amp because the level can be too low, but all in all I could live without an amp - For IEM this amp is the best I have ever tried, it is exceptionnal and
I think Meridian team put a great effort into designing a good headphone amp in every aspect -

I love it so much it is a great usb dac with headphone amp - Also the line out is driving my tube amp and I love every bit of it - Highly recommended -

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Has anyone in this thread had much luck with Linux and this device?  I am running Fedora 18 and the device is recognized fine - but... I am unable to adjust the output level to a reasonable setting.  If I use the "sound applet" and drive the output upwards of 100% the volume is OK but it sounds horribly saturated.  Also - I create my music on a Macbook Pro at 192K and if I listen to those mp3s on my Mac, all 3 LEDs are illuminated.  However the same exact mp3 played through Linux only illuminates the one LED (Operating).  Unfortunately I spend a majority of my time using Linux on one machine or another and carrying around a 15" MacBook Pro like an iPod is not ideal.  Although - after listening to the Meridian Explorer it seems almost worth it!  I was hoping that there was a discernible difference, and I am not disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back