Meridian Explorer v1.# versus geek out 450 thoughts
Oct 22, 2014 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jjcha

Headphoneus Supremus
I can't speak to ultimate value - I haven't heard enough of the other USB DACs in this price range to really say.  I will say though, I am quite pleased with my Meridian Explorer, and I paid the full retail at $300.  At $150 it strikes me as a bargain (though of course, I along with everyone else, eagerly await whatever new revision Meridian has up it's sleeve).

I've got a geek out 450 here and comparing it to the Explorer is rather telling.  The Explorer is a smoother, richer sound.  More polite, more refined, more laid back.  Relaxed.  The geek out 450 is more in your face, punchy, detailed, energetic.  Powerful, eager, edgy, a much more youthful sound.  More expressive.

Tonally, the Meridian sounds more right to me.  While the expressive detail of the geek out is interesting and often entertaining, it makes the music sound forced to me.  Returning to the Explorer, I lose some of the obviousness of the detail, but it just returns to a more natural sound.  The Explorer sounds detailed enough, though bringing detail to consciousness isn't its forte.

I suppose if one has a system that's too polite and wants a source that's punchy to offset, the geek out is the way to go.  I'm listening via my old electrostatic Stax SR-X mk 3, which is is known for being a revealing headphone (though I personally don't find it overly so) and the geek out is just too forward and tonally contrived.  Almost like a slightly constipated puppy trying a little too hard, energetic, despite being quite handsome and otherwise full of appealing traits.  I return to the Explorer and it's just more appropriately laid back.  Maybe slightly too far in that direction, but not as bad as the geek out leans too far forward.

No doubt technically the geek out does what it does, and does it well.  I'm going to keep mine for systems that need the punch.  But for straight laptop listening with most of my portable cans, the Meridian is the way to go for me.

Systems used:

geek out 450
Meridian Explorer (current version with the impedance fixed)
Sony MDR-1R mk 2
Sony MDR-1A
Sennheiser Momentum
Stax SR-X mk 3 (with a transformer box and Denon mini receiver)

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 4
  I can't speak to ultimate value - I haven't heard enough of the other USB DACs in this price range to really say.  I will say though, I am quite pleased with my Meridian Explorer, and I paid the full retail at $300.  At $150 it strikes me as a bargain (though of course, I along with everyone else, eagerly await whatever new revision Meridian has up it's sleeve).

I've got a geek out 450 here and comparing it to the Explorer is rather telling.  The Explorer is a smoother, richer sound.  More polite, more refined, more laid back.  Relaxed.  The geek out 450 is more in your face, punchy, detailed, energetic.  Powerful, eager, edgy, a much more youthful sound.  More expressive.

Tonally, the Meridian sounds more right to me.  While the expressive detail of the geek out is interesting and often entertaining, it makes the music sound forced to me.  Returning to the Explorer, I lose some of the obviousness of the detail, but it just returns to a more natural sound.  The Explorer sounds detailed enough, though bringing detail to consciousness isn't its forte.

I owned the GO 450 and 720, then the Explorer and agree 100% what you said about them.  I also had the DX90 and didn't like the tonality and sold it.  I guess, I'm not much of an ESS Sabre sound guy nor a detail freak, and prefer a more smoother, warmer, and musical sound from the Explorer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back