Meridian DSP5200s ARE THE P00NAGE!!!!!@%W@%^!!!!!
May 23, 2007 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36
As far as first impressions go, no piece has ever wowed me like these have today.

Unfortunately I didn't get enough time with them to go into details, but I can easily see myself giving them a go.

I'm sure you'll all hear back from me very soon.

Until then, all I have to say is WOW! Honestly I've never been more excited, I'm spazzing out here!!!..
eek.gif
icon10.gif
eek.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Comments more then welcome. I'm crave'n some talk over these.

May 23, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you mind rephrasing this, that is a rather offensive turn of phrase, TIA

LOL complain what?

In case you haven't noticed, there's a new world order taking over in the best interest of man kind. This is to not take things so dang seriously, relaxing, and enjoying life while maintaining an acceptance of people and things around you which may differ from your personal prospectives.
The new high class society, maybe it’s time you joined in.

Meridian DSP5200 OWN!! yeryur, bring it on!!

May 23, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL complain what?

This has a different meaning in the UK as a derogatory reference to cerebral palsy, the main UK charity for CP even changed its name form "The Spastics Society" to SCOPE, another one of those transatlantic things I guess, ho hum.

May 23, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Would you mind rephrasing this, that is a rather offensive turn of phrase, TIA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/yourspace/worstwords/

The words "spazz" or "spazzing" are not mentioned on the link you posted.

In any case, the etymological connection between "spazz" and "spastic" is pretty darn obscure. No one in North America will have any idea about it, because spastic was never in common use in either the US or Canada to refer to someone with cerebral palsy. My dictionary (New Oxford) only lists secondary meanings of spastic as informally offensive; the primary, original meaning, referring to muscle spasms, is fine. When the OP said he spazzed out, I'm sure he meant that he had muscle spasms of joy, not that he suddenly became afflicted by cerebral palsy for a short period.

There's even a line of expensive, stylish wheelchairs that use the brand name "Spazz":
http://www.planetmobility.com/store/...colours/spazz/

Thus, I'd lighten up.

May 23, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #10 of 36
I've never heard the DSP5200, but I was surprised at how reasonably priced they are. There are a lot of loudspeakers in the $10k price range (e.g. Zu Definitions) that are just a scam, rather than having decent engineering behind them. Plus these come with DACs, active crossovers, and three channels of amplification per side. I wouldn't hesitate to buy these if I was in the market and liked the sound; they're not ripping you off.

May 23, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya man! all I do is plug’em into my already
Oooo I can't wait!

Eww I am going to waste my 5001 post on this..but I can not hold out any longer...
So you like the Auto Med's huh? that's nice I heard their top of the line model for 2-3 days strait and got to spend lots of time with them at TTVJ's show few years back..

Wanna save some money and look what else is in the same market as these?
Here's one company that comes to mind..and here's another..I kid you not..

Same market seg as the med's are..
people who want nice looking speakers,take them out of the box,put them anywhere,impress their friends,and sometimes never to listen to them..

The Meridian's are the best sounding out of the three, but they are nowhere close to a real deal Audiophile setup (as in a setup YOU put the time and work into). and regardless of the magical genies Meridian and B&O have in the bigger priced models you still can not get away or get around Room Acoustics.

I love Meridian and I love their products but this is no Audiophile speaker. if you do maybe $200 of room treatments and a decent set of speakers with a decent amp you should kick the hell out of these any day anytime..
but that's if you want to do the work..if not then save your money and just buy some bose...
tongue.gif

(really Meridian's do sound the best out of the three)

May 24, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 36
I heard them briefly. Can't remember much about them apart from they sounded... good, but not good enough for me to schedule another audition. I still prefer the traditional non-digital speakers.

EDIT: woops! I was referring to the DSP5000s. I don't think I've ever heard the 5200s. Apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back