Meridian Director DAC - 699 USD - USB/SPDIF/Toslink - 24/192
Aug 6, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 9
Somewhat underwhelmed by what I read about it so far... The Explorer was an interesting product within its price range, but the Director... not so much. The V800 is not that much more expensive, but offers quite a bit more, i.e. more versatile connections in and out without adapters and an internal power supply.
Like the minimalistic design though... the Explorer would look good in black as well.

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 9
While the Explorer is an excellent portable DAC at a great price for its performance, the Director in its price range and form factor faces much stiffer competition. Namely, the W4S uDAC is something roughly in the same niche, but much cheaper. People would argue that the uDAC only does 96/24 with its USB input, but the Director does have its quirk such as the combo coax/optical 3.5mm input, for which a good cable can be hard to find. Since the respective units will mostly be used in a home setting (rather than on the road with a laptop for the Explorer), the lack of a remote control to switch inputs will be a major drawback.

But I'd be interested to find out how the Director performs sonically. If it's anything like my Explorer, I'd eventually get one just to provide better sound out of my DTV or something. But I'll have to wait a bit to see if there is a price drop after the initial release period.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
But I'll have to wait a bit to see if there is a price drop after the initial release period.

You might have overlooked Meridians pricing policies :wink:
Just how much is the Explorer right now in US? In Europe I see prices ranging from €299,- to €310,- And thats not just available since yesterday...

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 9
Meridian bring the technologie behind its high end DACs the 818 that cost a little fortune for us mere mortals.
Explorer=digital out, HP amp, only USB (little device that can connect my PC to my digital loudspeakers)
Director=RCA analogue outs, apodizing/upsampling, Digital INs/USB (portable state of the art DAC for my Stax tube amp)
I have the explorer V1, and I just took the plunge on the Director.

Looks like a little marvel.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 9
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/536-meridian-audio-director-usb-dac-review/ Thanks Mr Connaker :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back