Meridian 508 or jolida jd100?
Jul 7, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Actually, I'm not sure there is anyone who listened to both and said that they preferred the Meridian...
wink.gif

Slowly raises hand
biggrin.gif
I do! but I agree I own a Meridian so there is some bias.

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tone
I may be able to audition a meridian but I am waiting to hear back from the store to see if they have it in stock. they have the g08 but that CD. player is way out of my price range brand new. The Eastsound and the meridian 508 looks likes solid choices either way for my price range.

The G08 Meridian sound is in a general way the same as the others in the Meridian line, only subtle differences I have a 507 that I got for $1000.00 used and I can not with headphones on tell it from the 508 or the 588 the G07 and the G08 are on another level but still have the house sound it will not be a waste of your time. I took my amp. And headphones and the store let me hook up to all the Meridian line. In the store they stacked 3 or 4 on top of one another so I could compair.

The Meridians have Lots of tight bass sweet mids and the highs are super lots of detail and still musical draws me to the music I can’t put the headphones down I sit down for a short listen and the next thing I know the CD is over it is that nice!

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx
At the Detroit meet there were 3 Meridians the 508 was Mikhails paired with the Slam the Meridian 588 of Head Rooms paired with all of the amps on the table closest to your rig. and the Meridian G08 of Rays paired with all his amps.

Thanks for the confirmation, I thought the Meridian that was paired with the Headrooms amps was the 588 but wasnt sure. I didnt get a chance to heard the G08, but heard the 508 paired with the Slam and thought that combo was quite nice.
wink.gif
Quote:

Slowly raises hand. I do! but I agree I own a Meridian so there is some bias.

Heh... ok, I stand corrected. I don't think you ever wrote or said this before though, so you can understand where I was coming from. I don't have anything against the Meridian's, they are quite nice... I just prefer the Eastsound. As you pointed out about yourself and the Meridian's though, I am an owner so there is a certain amount of bias that goes with that.
tongue.gif

PS. What headphones did you listen to on my rig? Also, do you know if you heard it pre or post me switching the interconnects? [At the beginning of the meet I was using silver, but a bunch of us found that copper IC's have much better synergy with my system and I borrowed some DiMarzio's from Headroom for the second half of the meet.]

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
For you. Please excuse the digression, but what could be more audiophile than to be disappointed with a critically (and user) acclaimed CDP? My G08 remains the best CDP I have heard (including Tyll's Naim), but then, I am happy to be happy.

Old Pa,

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, but I'm sorry if I offended you. I was a huge fan of the 508 so I'm not knocking Meridians universally, but to my ears the G08 just didn't do it for me. I don't want to get into a he said she said, but I've discovered from several other owners that I'm not alone there (if you care to hear detail you can PM me).

That said, I don't claim to be an authority or anything, and wasn't trying to knock the G08 any more... merely saying that IMO the 508 is a terrific player and was more enjoyable to me then some newer, high dollar kits.

Jul 7, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

I wish i could audition the cd players that i am thinking about getting. Unfortunately that is probably not going to be possible so i'll have to go by the online reviews that i've read. The only Eastsound reviews outside of headfi that i've seen are few and far between and seem to be written by a few select fanatics who fell in love with the machine.

I may be able to audition a meridian but i am waiting to hear back from the store to see if they have it in stock. they have the g08 but that cd player is way out of my price range brand new. The Eastsound and the meridian 508 looks likes solid choices either way for my price range.

I have owned the Jolida and Meridian in the past and now own the Eastsound. Here's my opinion of the three. The Meridian and Eastsound are in a another class compared to the Jolida. IMO, they both killed the Jolida in all departments. There is simply no contest.

Now on to the Meridian and Eastsound. The Meridian I had was the 508.24 and it has the same DAC as the Eastbound. But there are very noticeable differences between the two. The Meridian to me had a bigger soundstage and tighter bass and has somewhat more air in the highs. The Eastsound had a slightly better midrange, being able to hook you into the music more easily and also a more powerful bass. Detail wise, they are very similar although at times I feel the Eastsound present too much details (could be good or bad depending on the listener's taste). The Merdian seems more laid back in most music while the Eastsound is more aggressive. So, if you like classical and slow music, go for the Meridian. If you like one that can handle most music with a little bit of bite, go for the Eastsound. Either one is a safe bet.

Jul 7, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

PS. What headphones did you listen to on my rig? Also, do you know if you heard it pre or post me switching the interconnects? [At the beginning of the meet I was using silver, but a bunch of us found that copper IC's have much better synergy with my system and I borrowed some DiMarzio's from Headroom for the second half of the meet.]

I tried my RS-1s and your headphones I liked both.

Post interconnects the guys from head-room were looking for them afterwards.

I would never say mine is better than yours your headphone rig is dang nice
biggrin.gif
so were you by the way. Its just, I would say I like the Meridian house sound thats all
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Xeno7561 said. Now on to the Meridian and Eastsound. The Meridian I had was the 508.24 and it has the same DAC as the Eastbound. But there are very noticeable differences between the two. The Meridian to me had a bigger soundstage and tighter bass and has somewhat more air in the highs. The Eastsound had a slightly better midrange, being able to hook you into the music more easily and also a more powerful bass. Detail wise, they are very similar although at times I feel the Eastsound present too much details (could be good or bad depending on the listener's taste). The Merdian seems more laid back in most music while the Eastsound is more aggressive. So, if you like classical and slow music, go for the Meridian. If you like one that can handle most music with a little bit of bite, go for the Eastsound. Either one is a safe bet.

This is how I rembember the two CD players, with only a short listen of the Eastsound. They are both nice players.

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #22 of 31
Wow thanks for the very informative review Xeno7651.
smily_headphones1.gif

The better midrange,dynamics and the price of the eastsound definetly interests me. You mention that the soundstage of the meridian is better than the eastsound unit. how much better is it? is it close or significantly different?

Unfortunately i haven't head back from the place that carries meridian. once i do i'll go check out their 508 if they have it in stock (they do have the g08).

Jul 8, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

I tried my RS-1s and your headphones I liked both.

Cool... I need to revisit the RS-1's one of these days in not-meet-conditions. I heard Biggie's set [before he got the PS-1's] on his crazy tube amp and didnt like them much, but that was my first impression of the SR-225 as well. I went to Aerius' place recently and heard the SR-225's in good conditions and actually quite liked them the second time around. I think the same might go for the K340's, as they didnt seem to be getting much love at the meet... maybe they suffer from the same malady.
tongue.gif
Quote:

Post interconnects the guys from head-room were looking for them afterwards.

They were looking for them? Jamey told me to take them... anyways, they have been mailed back to Headroom now as I bought a pair of the M-Path's from a forum member.
redface.gif
Quote:

I would never say mine is better than yours your headphone rig is dang nice, so were you by the way.

Thanks, it was cool to meet you as well. I need to learn how to listen to more stuff at these meets and stop blabbing to people constantly.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

This is how I rembember the two CD players, with only a short listen of the Eastsound. They are both nice players.

I would agree with the midrange and highs comments as the one thing that I did prefer about the Meridian were its airy highs. The Eastsound has this as well, but it is more understated. I havent noticed any lack of tightness in the bass with the Eastsound, but mine is paired with a Dynahi and a pair of K340s [both of which have very tight bass] so it may be due to that. As for soundstaging, I would need more concentrated listening in better conditions that there were in Detroit to say anything either way. I didnt find them too much different in this regard.

I guess my comments about the Eastsound pulling you into the music and being more fun may be because of its midrange capabilities... I am, after all, a sucker for a good midrage.
340smile.gif

----------

Great comparison Xeno7651, well done.
cool.gif
Quote:

The better midrange,dynamics and the price of the eastsound definetly interests me. You mention that the soundstage of the meridian is better than the eastsound unit. how much better is it? is it close or significantly different?

I would also be interested in you expanding on this...

Jul 8, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Wow thanks for the very informative review Xeno7651.
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately i haven't head back from the place that carries meridian. once i do i'll go check out their 508 if they have it in stock (they do have the g08).

The soundstage of the Meridian sounded more natural to me. Its width and depth are very well matched that it created a seamless surrounding. The Eastsound's stage is no slouch either, just as good as the Meridian I would say, but in the end I would give the slight nod to Meridian in the soundstage department.

Jul 8, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #25 of 31
How much time has your Eastsound had to burn in? Did you get it from the Canadian Group Buy?

Jul 8, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #26 of 31
Yes, I got it from the group buy. It's got roughly 200 hours on it including the burn in at Eastsound factory, 120 hour at Cattylink, and my listening time with it.

Jul 8, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #27 of 31
I would imagine that should be long enough for it to settle down, but who knows.

Thanks again for your comparison. I think you pointed out the strengths of the Eastsound nicely. I will need to have another listen to a Meridian at some point and see what I think of both of their soundstaging capabilities.
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #28 of 31
Just to add to my previous post. I sat down over the last few days to critically listen on the Eastsound's soundstage characteristics, both through headphones and speakers. The Eastsound has an extremely black background, giving it an excellent depth and therefore making its width seem narrow compared to its depth. The Meridian on the other hand offered a wider width leaving me with the conclusion that it sounded more natural (or bigger in a sense). Since I like my music to have a wider stage, I preferred the Meridian's soundstage. But if if you like a deep soundstage, the Eastsound would have the advantage here. In the end, they are just different, some may prefer one over the other.

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #29 of 31
Thanks again Xeno7651. another great and informative post.

I decided to go with the eastsound unit. The 508.24 that i have seen for sale tend to go for around 1300-1400 so i figured i'd give the eastsound a chance for 700. i do like a wide soundstage so hopefully its not that inferior to the meridian. if its close and in the ballpark i'll be happy.

hopefully the unit will be an upgrade from my sony 222es!
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Thanks again Xeno7651. another great and informative post.

I decided to go with the eastsound unit. The 508.24 that i have seen for sale tend to go for around 1300-1400 so i figured i'd give the eastsound a chance for 700. i do like a wide soundstage so hopefully its not that inferior to the meridian. if its close and in the ballpark i'll be happy.

hopefully the unit will be an upgrade from my sony 222es!
wink.gif

The Eastsound's soundstage is not inferior to the Meridian, just different. As I said, the Eastsound offered a deeper stage while the Meridian offered a wider stage. Listening through speakers makes the difference more apparent, but the difference we are talking here are very very small.

Anyways, the Eastsound is definately a step up from the 222es cuz I also owned the 222es in the past. When you order the Eastsound, make sure you ask for the free thick and fat power cable. Enjoy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back