Meridian 508.20 question
Mar 12, 2004 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Shurenuff

100+ Head-Fier
Well, i just got my 508.20 in the mail yesterday. However, when I opened up the cd tray, I found this small, circular, and removeable magnet attached to the center of the spinning device (don't know the exact name of it, but the portion that fits into the hole of a cd). I'd like to know what its function is before I actually use the player. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've never seen something like this. Thanks in advance!

Mar 12, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 19
Shurenuff,

Hello there. Can you take a picture of it or describe it in a different way? You made a good choice in buying a 508.20. The Meridian sound is just beautiful. We need more of them in the Chicago area.
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 19
I don't specifically know about the Meridian but my NAIM CD5 has a magnetic puck that holds the CD down on to the spindle.

Some one must have a Meridian and know. But it sounds like what I described.

Mitch

Mar 12, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
I don't specifically know about the Meridian but my NAIM CD5 has a magnetic puck that holds the CD down on to the spindle.

Some one must have a Meridian and know. But it sounds like what I described.

Mitch

That sounds something like it. All I know is that there was a small (a little less than a half inch) magnet attached, slightly off center, to the spindle when I opened the drive up. Honestly, I'm baffled.

Mar 12, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Hajime
Shurenuff,

Hello there. Can you take a picture of it or describe it in a different way? You made a good choice in buying a 508.20. The Meridian sound is just beautiful. We need more of them in the Chicago area.
biggrin.gif

Thanks Hajime! I'm really hoping to experience that Meridian sound soon (waiting on a headphone amp).

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 19
I got a 508.20 and am not sure what your refering to. I hope I didn't get stiffed on some stabalization device.

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 19
My Meridian has the same thing you are talking about, but I didn't know it was removable. Actually, I don't think it is supposed to be removable. Anywho, it is just the spindle that you put the cd ON. As you can see it is a tight fit, because the clamping mechanism is VERY stable and I think it lends to the way Meridian players sound. I never touch the spindle because I saw the whole trampoline/laser mechanism shake when I touched it. That can't be good for minute measurements and calibration of the laser. So, are you positive it is a removable piece? Perhaps you don't know your own strength and popped it off?

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 19
Not sure if this is going to work, but I just uploaded some images to a new account I opened at imagestation. There are three pictures. One with the magnet off center (how I initially found it when I first opened the drive), the other with the magnet placed in the center of the spindle, and the last with the magnet taken off the spindle and placed on the cd tray. I hope these images work (could anyone tell me an alternate method to upload and display pics for the forum?) Thanks!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287464793

Mar 12, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 19
Here are the pics for those without a imagestation account. Please tell me what you think, especially if you have experience with Meridian cd players. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

picserver.jpeg

picserver.jpeg

picserver.jpeg

Mar 12, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 19
That is odd looking. It comes off AND it is silvery in color. Doesn't look like the black spindle on all Meridian's I have seen (over 10). It looks like the spindle is missing and they used that instead?? Does it effect the sound of the music or move out of place when playing? Does it actually spin? The spindle in the middle spins on mine. If it is a stationary magnet, I have no idea what you got there. But if your player sounds fine, what is the real problem?

Mar 12, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Pielet
That is odd looking. It comes off AND it is silvery in color. Doesn't look like the black spindle on all Meridian's I have seen (over 10). It looks like the spindle is missing and they used that instead?? Does it effect the sound of the music or move out of place when playing? Does it actually spin? The spindle in the middle spins on mine. If it is a stationary magnet, I have no idea what you got there. But if your player sounds fine, what is the real problem?

I'm waiting on a headphone amp, so there is no real rush to hear the player yet. However, because of this, I'm a little hesitant to put a cd in and test the unit before I have a better idea of what is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back