Mendelssohn Violin Concerto in e minor- What is your favorite recording
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HayU

New Head-Fier
I have greatly admired Mendelssohns Violin Concerto in e minor for sometime.  I specifically love the 1959 Heifetz version with Munch conducting the Boston Symphony. I would like to hear from others as to versions they have heard and admired.

Thanks 

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 10
You mention Kogan, Francescatti, and Rabin, would you know what label they are on and if they are available to download in Flac?
Also I have heard the McDuffie version on Telarc CD 80507 with Swenson conducting the SCO is good? Penguin Guide gives it a 3*** Rossette rating.
Regarding the Heifetz version. Yes he really drives home the finale.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
You mention Kogan, Francescatti, and Rabin, would you know what label they are on and if they are available to download in Flac?
Also I have heard the McDuffie version on Telarc CD 80507 with Swenson conducting the SCO is good? Penguin Guide gives it a 3*** Rossette rating.
Regarding the Heifetz version. Yes he really drives home the finale.

Ah sorry about the mentioning of names- was for youtube. I'm not sure where I'd find the rest for uncompressed audio (besides buying the CD's and burning). 
McDuffie is a new person for me to listen to :) thanks, though I'm not sure what Penguin Guide is.

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi there Penguin guide is a rather large volume book listing major Classical recordings and rating them on a subjective scale. I have found it a good resource to find well produced quality cd's. I have the 2010 version and as far as I know it is in book form only. They have a website. www.penguin.com

regards
Larry Young

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Hi there Penguin guide is a rather large volume book listing major Classical recordings and rating them on a subjective scale. I have found it a good resource to find well produced quality cd's. I have the 2010 version and as far as I know it is in book form only. They have a website. www.penguin.com

regards
Larry Young

Thanks Larry, will check it out!

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 10
one of thing which I find interesting about the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto is that it is a rare work that seems to be played slower and slower with the passing years. Take for example three of Francescatti recordings I have heard, between the first with Szell and the last (and my favourite) with Dorati there is a full three minutes difference.

Personally what I look for in this Concerto is a soloist that wears their hearth on their sleeve, and that has a beatiful, sweet singing tone throughout. Vengerov achieves that wonderfully in his Teldec recording with Masur/Leipzig. Pity that the orchestra does not quite sound as beautiful as he does. Other recordings I like are Kogan with the USSR State Simphony, Oistrach/Leipzig and the Francescatti/Dorati I mentioned above.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Personally what I look for in this Concerto is a soloist that wears their heart on their sleeve, and that has a beatiful, sweet singing tone throughout.

You're describing Menhuin with Furtwangler.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

You're describing Menhuin with Furtwangler.

I may indeed! Had a quick listen to the first movement and was very impressed, thanks for the tip! Pity for the muffled orchestra sound, but Menuhin is recorded well enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back