Men like to collect things
Sep 16, 2015 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
A while back, I heard a short discussion somewhere about how men like to collect things. I think there is truth to that. I have seen this and I admit to a degree I like to collect things too.

Also at times, you hear about wealthy celebrities collecting cars, vintage guitars and other odd things that can be expensive. Women like to collect things too but it's usually related to clothes and fashion like shoes for example.

Of course, not every guy likes to collect things. My step father is not interested in collecting anything. He's pretty much a minimalist which can be a great stress free way of living I think. I do believe however that collecting things can be good because there is a psychology of analyzing things and appreciating the details of certain items.

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 9
My wife collects things. It was spoons as a kid. Now it's National Park stamps and smashed pennies.

The good thing is that the stuff she collects tends to be (much) cheaper than the audio stuff I'm partial to.

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 9
I used to collect many things in the past. Now I only buy what I really need and I don't care about limited editions, special editions, anniversary editions or all that marketing. I have to admit though, collecting things has that very special effect on the mood and in some cases can lessen the pain of depression and other mental illnesses. One you see something beautiful and then you stop yourself from getting it, that can be painful like seeing Grand Seiko 50th Anniversary Spring Drive Watch and not be able to get one....

Sep 16, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 9
It's interesting how in some rich people's large houses, they will have a nice library room where there is a collection of great novels and various books. I imagine that on the cold winter nights, the owner is in the reading room, maybe smoking a pipe and reading one of the great novels in his collection.

Sep 16, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 9
I have a bunch of various books in three tall IKEA bookcases along the back wall across from the stereo. Acts like a great diffusor! Oh yeah, it's nice to read the books now and again too.

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 9
I've been doing much better with regards to collecting physical things, but I'm still a rabid digital hoarder. Bookmark folders with thousands of links to articles that I swore I'd get to reading but haven't seen the light of day in months. Software too (all FOSS stuff).

(And of course digital music, books, etc, although not all of it is public-domain/copylefted if you catch my drift.)

Don't believe the itch is something inherently gender-based. Moving away from the male-dominated hobbies, and into something like stationary (which seems to be more of a 50/50 split) the most committed collectors seem to have plenty on either side.

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 9
I have seen Storage Wars on TV.

A handful of abandoned lockers may house other people's collections, e.g. stamps, dolls, combs, paintings, art, watches etc.
When the locker buyer brings his found collection to an appraiser, these items can fetch quite a large sum of money.

Seems like everyone do collect stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back