Memoryloss, suggestion?
Nov 20, 2008 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

DSlayerZX

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently a 20 years old college student, and I start to notice that my memory is getting worse and worse and this problem is starting to affect my academic performance.

I consider my self having very good memory when I was just a bit younger, in fact, all of my friends' phone numbers was in my brain, I can recite a 200-300 word article after reading them for only a few times, and lately, I can't do any of those anymore, in fact, I can't even remember what professor just said in class 5 minutes ago.

Anyone has suggestion toward how to improve concentration and improve my ability to memorize?

also, just for the record, I don't do alcohol nor drug, I do get decent hours of sleep per day, (6 hour). I am a vegetarian, but I have been one for roughly 13 years now, and my memory difficulty only start to show up since a year ago.

or maybe, I am just not as young as I used to anymore
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 32
Yeah, I'm getting to be that way too. Either I don't care enough, or my head is already somewhere else.

But no matter what, it is a kind of alarming problem...hopefully this isn't us getting young Alzheimer's disease.
redface.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm getting to be that way too. Either I don't care enough, or my head is already somewhere else.

But no matter what, it is a kind of alarming problem...hopefully this isn't us getting young Alzheimer's disease.
redface.gif

Youngest case of AD was at 29. I think he's safe
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmoffatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"also, just for the record, I don't do alcohol nor drug"

Maybe that's your problem:

globeandmail.com: A toke a day keeps memory loss at bay

I heard that story before, and it does aid in neurogenesis....

Depression? stress? :S 20 is way too early to have memory loss imo.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmoffatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"also, just for the record, I don't do alcohol nor drug"

Maybe that's your problem:

globeandmail.com: A toke a day keeps memory loss at bay

Sucks for me then; I'm allergic to alcohol!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Youngest case of AD was at 29. I think he's safe
wink.gif

I heard that story before, and it does aid in neurogenesis....

Depression? stress? :S 20 is way too early to have memory loss imo.

Actually yeah, in my life stress and depression come and go...too bad I thrive off of it though.
frown.gif

DSlayerZX, if I'm hijacking your topic, please tell me so.
redface.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 32
I know for certain that my memory isn't as good as it used to be. I use repetition to cope with remembering things that I need to do. However, I would never forget something after only five minutes. That's just scary.

By the way, I should explain that when I forget something, I feel it's there but I just can't put my tongue on it. It usually comes back to me after a few minutes of thinking. I never forget anything as a child, never lost anything either. This sucks.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 32
6 hours doesn't seem like a lot of sleep, I thought you were supposed to get 8. Also, it could be all the years of avoiding meat and good protein catching up to you.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 32
First off try some herbal memory supplements such as ginko if your a vegan. May help may not.
Try and say important topics your profesor explains in your head after he says them, that will force you to focus and help you to remember what he said.
PRetty alarming at 20. Have you ever suffered from trauma?
I got blind sided by a kid with brass knuckles in the temple and have about a two week period where I cant remember anything. They were pretty worried that I may suffer some memory loss but thankfully im getting along fine.
Dave

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 32
Hmm, I have memory loss as well, but that was due to a car accident and hence big head impact.

But anyway, I find that to remember things, especially engineering studies crap, I will try to relate whatever it is that I'm trying to learn to some sort of practical experience or something that I love. For example, I remember aerofoil flows to that of race cars (I'm a petrolhead if you haven't figured it out yet), or remember fluid mechanics equations to experiments that I've done.

Also, read over your learning materials as soon as you get home from class. 20-minutes of reading IN THE SAME DAY does wonders for your memory.

Do you rely on PDAs and other things like that to remember stuff? If you rely on it heavily, I suggest you start using it less. I use my Smartphone to remember lots of dates and stuff, but its a compliment to my normal memory, not a replacement.

6 hours of sleep is rubbish. You need a minimum of 8-9. Also, what time do you sleep?

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest you go see a doctor

[size=x-large]TRUE![/size]

Also lack of sleep and stress will cause memory "issues". I do not mention drugs nor alcohol since the OP indicated he does not do either.

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 32
I usually slept at around mid-night, then wake up prep for the class.
I usually don't use PDA or smart phone to try to memorize stuff, and I guess I will try to get more sleep and see how it goes

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 32
Hmm, it seems like this may be a lot more normal than I thought. I don't feel that I have some sort of clinical issues or anything, but I keep thinking that my brain power just isn't the same as it used to be in elementary or high school in regards to remembering things. It seems like going to class was enough to learn and know the material when it came time to write a test. Now in university, years later, things I learn just don't stay concretely in my mind, and I have to study for tests (yes, I know that that's normal, lol). I'm wondering if it's the circumstances that have changed or if it's my brain, or both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back