memory leak issue after installing creative x-fi
Dec 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Soymilk

500+ Head-Fier
has anyone else run into this issue? is there a fix to it?

to describe the issue:
i recently bought/installed a x-fi elite pro. after that, the sound would sometimes just randomly cut out for a bit with the occasionally static-y sound. then after a while (amount of time varies, sometimes 10 seconds sometimes a minute or longer) the sound will come back and everything that i should've been hearing is now played as if to catch up on what it missed. it used to happen pretty often, then i disabled the motherboard's sound card and it seemed to be fixed, but it came back again. i figured out that it has to do with a memory leak from the creative drivers; i leave my computer on all the time and after a while audiodg.exe was using over 4 gigs of ram. this didn't happen before i installed the x-fi so i'm fairly certain that the x-fi is at fault.

so to ask again, is there a fix to this? if i restart my computer (or log off / log back on, same effect) it fixes itself since it starts over, but the memory usage still climbs over time.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 5
1. remove X-Fi from your pc. physically remove the card. disable onboard audio in your BIOS. 
2. install drivercleaner/ install driversweeper. with these, kill all creative drivers, kill all realtek audio drivers/ intel onboard audio drivers, 
3. install ccleaner. run full scan, run full registry scan. 
4. boot into safe-mode. run driversweeper again. Kill all remaining onboard audio drivers/ Creative X-Fi drivers. get out of safe mode. 
5. Do a BIOS update. Make sure you get the latest version from the manufacturers website. 
6. reïnstall X-Fi with latest drivers from their website. Make sure you get the LATEST. 
7. PROFIT!

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 5
so the fresh install of drivers and whatnot seems to have slowed down the issue but not solved it, it's back up to half a gig again although this time it took a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back