Melos SHA
Sep 30, 2001 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dngl

He'd rather show hisbuns than wear fur.
I hear this is a mighty fine amp... when it works...
Anyway, what type of music is it suited for?
I listen mostly to classical (orchestral, acoustic guitar, and chamber), lots of rock (from Radiohead to Beatles), and a teeny bit of hard rock (Tool to KMFDM and NIN).

Does it have a "favorite" headphone?

Sep 30, 2001 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 10
I listen mainly to classical and jazz, but also to some Beatles and some other classic rock with my Alessandro-Grado Music Series Pro using my Melos SHA-1 amplifier, and I think it sounds divine. This is an amazing amplifier, definitely a giant killer. When it was still available new for about $1200 (isn't that right?) it wasn't a giant killer because it had a giant price. But now when you can get it for under $400, it's an amazing deal. I bought my SHA-1 for well under $400 (just over half that price), and I just love it, even more than my Wheatfield HA-1 (over $500). Amps like the Wheatfield HA-1 are safer because they have a warranty and the quality control is great. With the SHA-1 (or SHA Gold Reference or 333, for that matter), you have to be aware of the fact that it might simply not work and that the company that made it no longer exists and will not fix it for free. But the amp, assuming it works, sounds great. I'd describe the sound of the SHA-1 to be warm but very detailed. Compared to my Wheatfield HA-1, the sound has more foundation with more bass and more richness in the midrange, but I don't feel like anything is lost in the upper frequencies. Melos Audio Restoration (http://www.melos.com) will fix up your amplifier and do some minimal modifications (upgrading in/out capacitors and power supply) for $350. If you can get an SHA-1 for about $300, I'd still consider it a steal with the extra $350 paid for restoration. This is not just an amazing amplifier, but a marvelous amplifier. If you have the chance to get your hands on one, go for it.

Sep 30, 2001 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 10
I suspect Melos was so good that they are out of business.
Most of the people that I know that bought Melos components
had huge reliability problems. I would recommend that you
don't buy anything from Melos until you can find somebody to service it.
At one point, before they went out of business they were
liquidating all their PCBs, schematics etc. Maybe somebody
picked them up and can service the equipment.

Sep 30, 2001 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 10
There's always Melos Audio Restoration in Las Vegas, so I'm going to live dangerously... once I can find one (last one got scooped out under me
mad.gif
)

Sep 30, 2001 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 10
Jphone, as I just said, you can have it repaired and (according to them) slightly upgraded for $350. Considering it can be bought used for around $350, that brings the total to around $700. This amp is definitely worth even more than that, and when it's returned, it's in like-new condition with almost all parts replaced with identical new ones or new and better ("audiophyllic") ones.

Sep 30, 2001 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 10
DanG,

I agree about the price/value ratio. I though I should press
the reliability problem because I think that this is one of the
issues that killed the company. Maybe you have different
experiences.

Sep 30, 2001 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Well, I recently got a Melos as well, and I love it. Makes my HD600's sound BEAUTIFUL! It's also a fabulous preamp and has done wonders for my speakers. Considering the price, there is really nothing to complain about. I got mine in literally perfect condition. The guy who had it before me took great care of it, and I got a really great deal.

Now that I've had mine for a while, I'm really glad I took the risk and got it. Hopefully you can have a similar experience
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2001 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Oooo...forgot to mention that... It's great with my ety's. They're smooth with my jmt built amp, but nothing like with the Melos. It adds a little more weight to the bass, makes the mids more rich and lush, but doesn't take a way from the highs, which are extended, detailed, and smooth. I think I'll probably be keepin' this amp a while...at least until it breaks :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back