Melos SHA Owners: What amps are you using?
Mar 1, 2002 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

WIJGALT

100+ Head-Fier
Purchased a SHA Gold yesterday & now need amp recommendations to go with it. Don't need a lot of power, could be tubed or SS. $500-$750 range is where I'm looking. Still do most of my listening thru cans so don't need a superamp. Appreciate the help.

Mar 1, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 12
The ASL Wave AV-8 monoblocks are not bad for a budget amp ($110 each), but they do have some build quality problems, and are not always quiet. One of mine picks up radio! Luckily I bought 3 and swapped that one out. I think if you have the time to resolder/overhaul these units and have efficient speakers you couldn't go far wrong.

The unit I really want is the Bryston 4B-ST - there are probably few speakers short of electrostatics that it can't drive into a smoking heap before even distorting. There's a 4B THX model on eBay right now at $1000 - the warranty on these units is 20 years and fully transferrable!

Still, the thing you have to do is listen to the amp(s) you choose in your own home with your own speakers. The Bryston might suck when paired with a Melos, for all I know right now. The AV-8s sound pretty good with the Melos.

Mar 1, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 12
I'm practically ecstatic over a pair of Quicksilver Mini Mites (25w tubed monoblocs), driving LS 3/5a monitors. They seem to work well with the Melos, but I think I will eventually go to an all tubed pre.

Quicksilver's more powerful amps are very sweet.

edit: Oops just saw your price range.

Mar 1, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 12
I have a HT rig, so my amp is the five-channel ATI1505. It's as good as its rep.

markl

Mar 2, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 12
Or consider a Parasound HCA-1000A. It's THX certified and will deliver more than adequate levels of current.

I got mine off Audiogon used for $345, and will be incorporating it into the Oris 200 to drive the bass woofers.

Mar 2, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Im going to second the Brystons!!

I have a Bryston 2B-LP rated at 60 watts per channel, it will drive my Acoustic Research speakers rated at up to 250 watts until the bass is clipping. Bryston amps also have an incredible warranty. There simply isnt much out there with more value per dollar than a Bryston IMO.

Mar 3, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I'm using a reasonably sensitive pair of Celestion A1 monitors. Funny, most of the amps mentioned here I've already thought of. If I can find a Bryston in my price range, that would be great. I thought of the WAVEs but want something with more power & better reliability. Besides, I had a pretty horrific experience with Divergent & do not want to do business with them again. The Quicksilvers are intriguing......

Mar 3, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 12
Its less clipping and more a farting phbbthtbtyfftbt noise. The Bryston can still go much louder. (I had ear plugs in when i did this test)
\
I guess clipping isnt the righ tword

Jan 27, 2003 at 3:58 AM Post #12 of 12
I have to agree with the Melos/Bryston combination. I was using my SHA Gold Reference with 7B-ST monoblocks for over four years. The Brystons have found a new home but I've still got the Melos and now I'm using it with a Sonic Frontiers Power 2. Sounds darn good with the P2 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back