Melos SHA Gold Resurrection
Dec 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

33na3rd

500+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

When my Melos SHA Gold's Pho-Tentiometer broke two years ago, a Google search led me to this site. I got to see what everyone else had done to theirs, through words and images. Being a complete noob, I really appreciated all the images that helped me learn what wires went where, and why.

I wanted to personally say thank you to FallenAngel, jp11801, spritzer, nikongod, dsavitsk, and Carlo.

From what I've read, I'm one of the few people around here that actually liked the Pho-Tentiometer! Two years ago, I was reluctant to replace my broken Pho-Tentiometer with a standard or stepped potentiometer, so I stuck the Melos away in the closet and played with other preamps.

In June of 2013, Tortuga Audio made their LDR3X available to the public. The LDR, light depanant resistor, is the modern day equivalent of the Pho-Tentiometer. I'll let Tortuga Audio explain the advantages of LDR's, but I can say that I agree, and am happy to have my Melos running again! The LDR3X has remote control, and controls volume, balance, mute, and source selection. Most folks use the unit for a passive preamp, but it works in active preamps well also.

The Melos already has the 12 VDC available that the LDR3X board needs, and thanks to the folks above who posted great images, I was able to install the board myself. This was quite the feat for a noob with 10 thumbs!

My Melos, which had been modified by Will at MAR many years ago sounds just like I remember! I know a lot of the folks who posted in the past have moved on to other preamps, but wanted to repay the help that I have gotten from this site. I'm sure that there are still folks out there that would like to get their SHA Gold's going again, and wouldn't mind having a volume control that works in a similar manner as the original.

Not only am I a DIY noob, but I'm newly registered here too, so I am not allowed to post images yet. Here's a link to my flickr account for those interested in seeing the Tortuga LDR3X installed into my Melos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintageglass/11017631884/

Thank you again to all the folks who shared their knowledge and images. You helped me fix my preamp, that some folks said was unrepairable!

Jeff

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 4
Good to see that the posts are still helpful. 
Also nice to see that you got it working with newer stuff. 

Looking back on the photentiometer, it was on that fine line between genius and stupid. It (the photentiometer) has a pretty robust line driver built in which was probably cool in a "pseudo passive" mode, but why on earth do that if you are going to mate it up with the preamp... There was just too much stuff going on with the Photentiometer for a company like Melos... 

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm glad some old ramblings have been helpful. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I think Melos spent a lot of time riding that line between genius and stupid. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 4
I have one of these that needs the same work done to it. I just saw this, and while it might be later that I will be doing this, I would love to know where all the information is, or if there is a better link to this restoration. I can do the work, but need some hand holding to know what to do.
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back