Melos SHA-1 or Gilmore V2-SE for SR-200/SR-100 ?
Apr 30, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #17 of 64
That's a good direction...good luck
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....I'm heading towards vinyl goodness.

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

I'm not talking about the Gilmore Lite BTW, but your comments are helpful anyway though : ) cause they share a similar circuit to a certain extend...

whoops sorry, didnt read the thread correctly
smily_headphones1.gif

which gilmore amp were you talking about?

Apr 30, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are 2 LARGE differences between the sha-gold and the sha-1. they are the psu and the input/output section. the gold has a more complicated, arguably quieter psu BUT the power lines criss-cross the center of the audio path severeal times which can lead to hiss. the psu on the sha-1 is similar, with a c-r-c-a-c filter, but the activer stage is simpler. on the plus side for the sha-1, the psu lines dont criss-cross the board, they are allllll kept in the corner.

the second difference is in the output stages. the gold has a balanced output, and alllll sorts of options for inputs (just different selections for cd/tape/phono etc...) where the sha-1 has 3 inputs, and 1 single ended preamps output. if you are using the amp exclusively for heapdhones, this is of very little importance.

on both amps, excluding part selections which can be upgraded, the circuit of the heapdhone amp is the same.

So, is it safe to say that the Gold has a better preamp and more options (balanced, more output, inputs, but not significantly different if used as a headphone amp only for 2 inputs?

To the OP: Look no further than the Melos for HP-1000 drivers. I don't know if there is a better synergy match out there.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #20 of 64
Apr 30, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

I'm talking about the V2-SE, it was build around 2003-2004 and it was a big black box!, you can see some pics here :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=gilmore+v2-se

ohh ok. I thought you meant that one. I just wasnt sure.

May 1, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
To the OP: Look no further than the Melos for HP-1000 drivers. I don't know if there is a better synergy match out there.

Well, The HP1000 drivers in the SR-200 will surely not sound exactly like a HP1/2, smaller soundstage, less bass, less treble,etc so maybe a SS amp is mandatory for them, I don't know... is the Melos really capable of giving a sense of air/extended treble ?

May 1, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #24 of 64
i'd be interested in seeing a shot of the drivers - just one look and i can verify (as can others!)

i used to own a pair of SR200s with HP1000 drivers. i searched and searched for more air/soundstage too, never did get it with those cans. unfortunately for me, the solution was to Up-Grado to an HP2 and a Melos SHA-Gold with Cpads and a Blacksilver recable. PERFECTO.

May 1, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i'd be interested in seeing a shot of the drivers - just one look and i can verify (as can others!)

Yeah, I can identify them now, I got like 5-6 pics of them with the HP1000 drivers... I had to search like hell in a zillion threads though !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i used to own a pair of SR200s with HP1000 drivers. i searched and searched for more air/soundstage too, never did get it with those cans.

If they had the unlabeled cable, that might be one of many causes, this particular cable is noted to have a treble roll-off. The enclosure is to blame too... I might change it in the future but I don't really want to somewhat butcher the vintage value they have. In the end, SR-300/325 black cups + JGSUWBR cable might be the way to go
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #26 of 64
I'll put it this way, if no one told me the Melos used tubes (and it didn't say so on the front) I'd probably never know
biggrin.gif

It's basically very fast and detailed. Tube rolling makes subtle differences, but it does have a hint that it's a hybrid amp- great soundstage (especially depth) with a touch of warmth.

edit: if you're hearing the Joe Grado goodness with that SR-200, once upgraditis hits you'll want an HP-1000
tongue.gif

No treble roll off and I'm very impressed with the soundstage (coming from a K1000 fan). Also I'm guessing the bass will be stronger, tighter with the HP-1000 encasing since it's mounted directly to the aluminum (no plastic casing).

May 1, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #27 of 64
Quote:

Well, The HP1000 drivers in the SR-200 will surely not sound exactly like a HP1/2, smaller soundstage, less bass, less treble,etc so maybe a SS amp is mandatory for them, I don't know... is the Melos really capable of giving a sense of air/extended treble ?

The Melos can drive my K-1000s adequately. And like J-Pak stated, it helps bring out the treble and stregthen the bass sounding almost completely solid state. The hybrid just helps give the goodness of tube amps. But it is by no means lush or sloppy like a lot of tube amps tend to get.

Even though it may sound different, the amp drives the drivers - so the Melos should work well no matter what encasing the drivers are in.

May 1, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #28 of 64
Damn, I'm so confused now.

Melos or Gilmore, Melos or Gilmore, Melos or Gilmore, Melos or Gilmore, Melos or Gilmore, Melos or Gilmore, Melos or Gilmore, Melos or Gilmore, Melos or Gilmore, Melos or Gilmore, Melos or Gilmore, Melos or Gilmore, Melos or Gilmore ?

blink.gif

May 1, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #30 of 64
Here's a quarter - call it in the air
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back