Melos SHA-1/Grado HP-2 mini-review/impressions (pictures)
Mar 13, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #16 of 19
Congrats! That's the legendary combo for certain, and that synergy shall never die!

By the way all this talk about its preamp abiilties are no joke. Using the active line out to my STAX SRM-1/MKII is just insane. Seriously. And we even made the AKG K701 sound good when my Melos preamped the Singlepower PPXSLAM, whee!

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright I promise I'll try it out as a preamp when I get home. Unfortunately I only have one good set of analog cables. Time to order some more wire.

If you have an adapter to 1/4" for the K-1000, you'd be suprised at how good it powers the K-1000s, but you are covered there with the Aleph
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
A little time off is good, because that'll just make you appreciate the K1000s that much more

Yes. The K-1000 is one of a kind, and I'm sure it will hold it's own very well for me at least, can't speak for Jpak. I'm hoping the ED9 will work as good or better since I may need some isolation soon, but I doubt it will better the K-1000 for my taste.

Sorry to turn this into a post about me. I'm so selfish
redface.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #19 of 19
Played a random mashup of tracks mostly classical, jazz and a bit of psychedelic rock. And these are initial impressions with the Melos as a preamp to the Pass Labs Aleph 30 with AKG K1000:

-bass is much fuller, robust and impactful. Extension is about the same
-soundstage also slightly increased
-highs are a little softer. Not as forward or edgy as the Lavry's digital preamp
-better dynamics (? need to use a few more of my reference selections)

I used Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon's Night Fight for bass impact and volume and it was much better with the Melos as pre.

Bass performance impressed me the most since the bass with the Lavry as preamp was already pretty good. Like I said some of the upper registers were a little softer but I didn't notice any lack of detail or lack of air around the instruments.

Rob: I do have a 1/4" adapter I'll try it out with the Melos later on. About the E9, I'd wait for the FotM to pass then see what people think
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back