Melos Love Thread (Grado Amplifier)
Nov 1, 2007 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

larryminator

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok now I need to put things back to normal.

I just can't believe there are 4-5 Melos SHA-1/SHA-Gold for sale in the amplifier section, that after price drops and price drops, can't sell. This is next to ridiculous.

I just don't understand how Grado's popularity can grow like this, and Melos's popularity can go that low.

To begin with, I see so much thread asking about "What's the best Grado amplifier?" , "What amplifier do you recommend for Grados?", "Need the best for Grado", and what do I see? Grado RA-1. Everywhere. I don't wanna flame the RA-1 (about the 20$US value in parts), it is good, but no way the best Grado amplifier out there. And also, some people who say that never tried other amplifier that had great synergy with Grados, like the MAD Audio Purist HD, Melos, etc.
And for 350$US new, I would really buy something else.

But my real point is, where is all the Melos love gone? Have people completly forgot about those!?! Those used to be (and are still, on my opinion) the best amplifier for Grados, in particular the HP2 and RS-1 (I should also add, for the PS-1, with the right tube), and also really shine with the GS-1000. Modded, those things are really the cream of the cream. (Carlo modded anyone
smily_headphones1.gif
) They should be in your first choices as a Grado amplifier! And they can also be used a pre-amplifier if you use speakers to give a nice sound signature.

I just can't understand how the popularity went down so quickly. Those amplifier are da bomb, built like tanks, with quality parts, can be tuned specifically with right tubes, have clean esthetics and sound like no other amplifier out there.

This is a phenomenon I can't understand. More and more people want Grado headphones, then they want the best amplifier for their Grados, but Melos popularity is going down, hum what's going on?!?! Remember that the Melos SHA-1/SHA-Gold was supposed to be the official Grado HP-1000 amplifier, but Joseph Grado finally decided to make his own amplifier, the Grado HPA-1, but the Melos was designed to be a Grado headphone amplifier (and is far superior to the HPA-1 from my opinion).

And at the price you can get the Melos, you just can't go wrong. If you'd have to pay for a new amplifier, you'd have to put more than 1200$US to get something as good or less good than Melos SHA-Gold.

Come on people, wake up!

I would also invite other Melos owners/ Grado lovers to unite and make Grado and Melos as one again.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 48
Maybe not enough potential buyers
To tell you the true I was hunting some Melos in the past, but shipping costs are killing. Not that much Melos, or almost non, in Europe and that's a bad situation. However you, Americans and Canadians, can change that simply by putting them for INTERNATIONAL SALE as well.
Second is that a lot of other, cheaper Chinese tube amps, around. Also WooAudio makes budget, but nice sounding amps.
Melos time isn't gone, but close to it, IMO.

My Aspen can eat a lot of other amps for breakfast, but no one is interested. No probs with me, cos they do not know what they are missing. Think that I am not going to sell it anyway.

I have seen Melos Gold for only USD 500 and that's the good price, IMO. Amp is out of production and no way you can fix it if he just died on you. Only if you can do it yourself, but I am not qualified so a lot of others to.

I am not trying to crack Melos down, no, just my 2c, that's it. And I am still interesting to try them out, but don't think it will be upgrade from what I already have.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryminator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok now I need to put things back to normal.

I just can't believe there are 4-5 Melos SHA-1/SHA-Gold for sale in the amplifier section, that after price drops and price drops, can't sell. This is next to ridiculous.

I just don't understand how Grado's popularity can grow like this, and Melos's popularity can go that low.

To begin with, I see so much thread asking about "What's the best Grado amplifier?" , "What amplifier do you recommend for Grados?", "Need the best for Grado", and what do I see? Grado RA-1. Everywhere. I don't wanna flame the RA-1 (about the 20$US value in parts), it is good, but no way the best Grado amplifier out there. And also, some people who say that never tried other amplifier that had great synergy with Grados, like the MAD Audio Purist HD, Melos, etc.
And for 350$US new, I would really buy something else.

But my real point is, where is all the Melos love gone? Have people completly forgot about those!?! Those used to be (and are still, on my opinion) the best amplifier for Grados, in particular the HP2 and RS-1 (I should also add, for the PS-1, with the right tube), and also really shine with the GS-1000. Modded, those things are really the cream of the cream. (Carlo modded anyone
smily_headphones1.gif
) They should be in your first choices as a Grado amplifier! And they can also be used a pre-amplifier if you use speakers to give a nice sound signature.

I just can't understand how the popularity went down so quickly. Those amplifier are da bomb, built like tanks, with quality parts, can be tuned specifically with right tubes, have clean esthetics and sound like no other amplifier out there.

This is a phenomenon I can't understand. More and more people want Grado headphones, then they want the best amplifier for their Grados, but Melos popularity is going down, hum what's going on?!?! Remember that the Melos SHA-1/SHA-Gold was supposed to be the official Grado HP-1000 amplifier, but Joseph Grado finally decided to make his own amplifier, the Grado HPA-1, but the Melos was designed to be a Grado headphone amplifier (and is far superior to the HPA-1 from my opinion).

And at the price you can get the Melos, you just can't go wrong. If you'd have to pay for a new amplifier, you'd have to put more than 1200$US to get something as good or less good than Melos SHA-Gold.

Come on people, wake up!

I would also invite other Melos owners/ Grado lovers to unite and make Grado and Melos as one again.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 48
Out of production, so the only way is 2nd hand.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where to buy Melos SHA-1?
can't find the site

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not feeling lucky eh
frown.gif

Lol You can find 2 SHA-1 and 3 SHA-Gold in the FS forum.

This amplifier doesn't break and will not. They did when they were new, but after a certain time, you know you don't have a lemon in your hand. Those are about 10 years old and still run strong. If you think no one can fix them, you're wrong. It's not because you can't send it to the original company that it can't be fixed.

Also, the sound is really the best for Grados out there. If you want the best sound for the money, they are still the best. It's just that there are so much new products that people tend to buy new because they like new stuff and insurance and warranty. Why not pay less for a used amplifier with a better sound.

Nov 1, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 48
I REALLY want one as a pre-amp. Unfortunately, I am unable to afford one at the moment (my total system cost is only $1000, and I would rather upgrade my speakers if spending another $400-500). One day.... I must hear that tubey goodness.

Nov 1, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 48
I looked into getting one for my HP2 awhile back. Though its heft would have you think it's built like a tank, they are actually fraught with reliability problems. Melos Audio Restoration was the last salvation to service these units but they closed shop. So I looked elsewhere.

Alas, I found the Larocco PRII with 8066 opamp (important) and accompanying PSR provided the right level of neutrality, punch, weight, and clarity to complement the HP2 better than the Melos IMHO. I'd imagine the PRII 8066 would work really well with other Grado phones.

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 48
If I ever get around to finally get a pair of HP-2, I'll probably save a bunch for one of Phil Larocco's designs like the Portacode or maybe a Beta22, Grados needs pure SS amps, that's it, I don't think any hybrid/tube designs can output as much current as a carefully designed SS amp...

The HP-2 absolutely needs an amp that extends the frequency extremes, helps it's dynamic range, stays neutral but with just that small amount of sweetness that a 3-channel amp can provide.

IMO.

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 48
The Melos brand is certainly an awesome place to start looking when wanting to pair of with Grados, or for that matter, any headphone, however, the Melos' (particularly the SHA-1 variety) only really come into shining glory when they have been modded. Sure Carlo came up with some nice mods, but I don't think they are "revolutionary" in that no one else could do them. And therein lies the rub. Carlo is no longer around, MAR is closed, so unless one wants to take a crack at it themselves or knows a place that can do it well, one must rely on Single Power and well, they take forever.

For the HP-1000s and PS-1s, I agree, the Melos modified is phenomenal and the best I have heard, but given their age and their reliability...I can fully understand why folks want to change to something else.

Still, few amp can pump out the current needed by the HP1000s.

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 48
You make me want to own your Melos SHA-X so bad Zanth...

The other unit is lost in the woods... believe me I tracked down the previous owners and it was sold on a not-so popular unknown website to an incognito owner.

I do have a NOS pair of 1959 CBS/Hytron 7318 Black Plates D-Getter, sleeping in a wooden case, waiting to be use.
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 48
Although there isn't another Melos SHA-X around...there is still that single Melos prototype that could be modded to SHA-X level
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Melos brand is certainly an awesome place to start looking when wanting to pair of with Grados, or for that matter, any headphone, however, the Melos' (particularly the SHA-1 variety) only really come into shining glory when they have been modded. Sure Carlo came up with some nice mods, but I don't think they are "revolutionary" in that no one else could do them. And therein lies the rub. Carlo is no longer around, MAR is closed, so unless one wants to take a crack at it themselves or knows a place that can do it well, one must rely on Single Power and well, they take forever.

For the HP-1000s and PS-1s, I agree, the Melos modified is phenomenal and the best I have heard, but given their age and their reliability...I can fully understand why folks want to change to something else.

Still, few amp can pump out the current needed by the HP1000s.

The reliability problem isn't as much as people think. If it was the case, we would see recent thread, message about it, or even non-working Melos equipment for sale, but that not the case.

Anybody can mod them, it's not that complicated. I'm even thinking about modding mine myself, which I'll do soon enough.

But Zanth, i disagree with you on one point, the Melos, even unmodded, sound really good, and I do think they will vastly improve with modding. But even a stock one can give an excellent competition to the amplifier of today.

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Although there isn't another Melos SHA-X around...there is still that single Melos prototype that could be modded to SHA-X level

I was precisely talking about that Melos prototype that Grinch,dvr, guy who bought it from audiogon, owned.

$600 for such a gem... why couldn't I joined Head-Fi in 2003 ?!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Time to build myself a time machine... I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back