Melos and ATH-W100
Mar 25, 2002 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Fortune

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone besides Flumpus and Kelly have a chance to hear this combo? I would like to know if the Melos complements this headphone or if it makes it sound "harsh" as some have described. I'm planning on picking up a set of W100's but am afraid of some of the comments I've read here in the forums.

Thanks y'all.

John

Mar 25, 2002 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 3
Flumpus and Kelly have heard the W2002, not the W100. KurtW has heard both the W100 and the W2002 (but uses an all-tube Berning MicroZOTL and not a Melos) and has suggested that the W100 has a richer tonal balance while the W2002 was somewhat lean. This difference might have gotten smaller by now, because of more break-in, though. The Melos uses MOSFETs in the output stage and has a very low output impedance. Because of this, it ought to drive any low-impedance headphone very well with sufficient damping factor (which is important for bass performance). The W2002 has a 40 Ohms impedance and the W100's nominal impedance is 48 Ohms.

John, my guess is: you'll love the W100. Just remember that it'll keep improving with burn-in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 3
I am in the process of getting W100s and I have a melos with jjs (sovteks can die!) so I'll give quick impressions about two weeks or so from now when I get the w100s.

In the meantime, anyone else have experience? I want to know how excited to get
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back