Melodies good enough to be a national anthem
Aug 1, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 22
The tune that goes with "The Star Spangled Banner" would be a good one.
lambda.gif

Aug 1, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 22
Massive Attack - Angel or Risingson. Okay, maybe not an anthem for a happy country... but it would still be pretty dang cool.

Aug 1, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by blip
Massive Attack - Angel or Risingson. Okay, maybe not an anthem for a happy country... but it would still be pretty dang cool.

Now THAT answer I wasn't expecting...can you imagine a stadium full of people all singing "Yoooouuuu...are myyy angelllll..." in Horace Andy falcetto?
tongue.gif

There are a couple tracks from Aida that might be appropriate...one was the Anvil Chorus (which would just be fun), but I can't remember the name of the other one. Ah, Verdi.

Aug 2, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by strohmie
Now THAT answer I wasn't expecting...can you imagine a stadium full of people all singing "Yoooouuuu...are myyy angelllll..." in Horace Andy falcetto?
tongue.gif

hehehe... I picture a country with a name like Karblachistan where it is night 20 hours a day and it rains 300 days a year. Their major export is... I dunno... say scrap iron. Like I said, it's definitely not a very happy country.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, their national bird is the buzzard.

Actually if you ignored the words, I've always thought that Bjorks Bachelorette sounds like it could be an anthem.

Oh and thanks for reminding me of the Anvil chorus, I haven't listened to that for a year or so... great stuff.

Aug 2, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 22
No no, any piece of music that becomes a national anthem will end up being mercilessly parodied, and eventually tinted by the bad press of the country in question -- and every country does have bad press, of one kind or another.

No no, I'll not sacrifice a song or a piece of music to politics.

Aug 3, 2003 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 22
Tool - Ænema

The song of a country that welcomes change and has weather that completely redefines 'monsoon season'. Learn To Swim.

-dd3mon

Aug 3, 2003 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 22
Perhaps you should say a melodie bad enough to be a national anthem. You cannot have a sophisticated and interesting melody become a national anthem...all the 1st graders would mess it up if it were twelve tone or intricate.

BTW, the Karblachistan you speak of (from Austin Powers) is actually a mispelling or a real region of Dagestan...I forget the real spelling, but it is something like Karpakistan or Kerlpakistan or something like that. I forget. Suffice to say it is not very important to the world economy, but it is there.

Aug 4, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 22
Louie, Louie - I don't know who it's by. I think in some dorms it is the National Anthem.

Aug 4, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr

BTW, the Karblachistan you speak of (from Austin Powers) is actually a mispelling or a real region of Dagestan...I forget the real spelling, but it is something like Karpakistan or Kerlpakistan or something like that. I forget. Suffice to say it is not very important to the world economy, but it is there.

Interesting... never knew that. Ever since I saw the movie I've just used it as my "generic" country name.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back