Melodic Rock and AOR
Dec 23, 2010 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

fordgtlover

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm starting this thread for fans of melodic rock. Melodic rock is a new term to me. It turns out that that the term includes a wide range of bands from Journey to Kiss and Damn Yankees to Def Leppard - bands I grew up with and still love listening to.

As it also turns out, the melodic rock genre doesn't just include old bands from the 70's & 80's it also includes new bands. There is a fair bit of interest in this genre in parts of Europe, which has resulted in new bands and new music.

For me the find of the year has been a self titled album by a band called W.E.T featuring Jeff Scott Soto (Talisman, Rock Star Movie, Journey) on vocals. This one is pretty good for fans of Journey. In fact the last song off the album has been said to 'out Journey Journey'.

The second biggest find of the year for me has been the new album by RATT - yes, that RATT - called Infestation. If you liked the good old RATT back in the day, you'll most likely enjoy this one.

The third biggest find of the year for me has been a the new album by a Swedish group by the name of Crazy Lixx who sound like a cross between Skid Row and Def Leppard. The new album is called New Religion and is a great dose of what used to be called sleaze rock

I felt these albums were crackers in a year that included very decent releases from former supergroups Asia (Omega) and Scorpions (Sting in the Tail).

Is anyone else into this type of music, and have you heard any good new albums by established or new bands?

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 17
Finally a thread on my type of music.
biggrin.gif

I kept intending to start one myself just never got round to it!

Three of my favourite CD's of the last year or so in the melodic rock/aor genre are:

Covered Call 'Money Never Sleeps'
Free Spirit 'Pale Sister of Light'
Shining Line 'Shining Line'

but there are so many more from artists like Sunstorm, Khymera, Last Autunms Dream, Terry Brock, Danny Vaughn etc etc

Enjoy

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #3 of 17
lol... I've been meaning to start this thread for a few years now, but didn't really know what genre included all of these artists.

I'm checking out your suggestions on youtube now.... cheers

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
lol... I've been meaning to start this thread for a few years now, but didn't really know what genre included all of these artists.

I'm checking out your suggestions on youtube now.... cheers

Oh check out Brother Firetribe cd's as well
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 17
So, there's only two of us here into melodic rock... lol

I got Jeff Scott Soto's "lost in the Translation" for x-mas. Pretty good, but I think it needs a few more listens.

Dec 25, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 17
Op you've said the magic word yourself: Europe (but only I mean the band Europe)

loved them since I was a kid. When they got together again a couple of year ago, went to their concert, literally brought tears to my eyes. So unbelievable good.

Another (AOR) band I love: Tyketto (fatastic singer) 

Dec 25, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Three of my favourite CD's of the last year or so in the melodic rock/aor genre are:

but there are so many more from artists like Sunstorm, Khymera, Last Autunms Dream, Terry Brock, Danny Vaughn etc etc

Enjoy

Hell yeah, that's the fantastic singer I'm talking about in the post above, from Tyketto. What a voice. I have one solo cd from him also.

Dec 26, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Enjoy

Hell yeah, that's the fantastic singer I'm talking about in the post above, from Tyketto. What a voice. I have one solo cd from him also.

Yes stunning voice. I bought the Tyketto albums when they first came out and some of his solo cd's since. 'Standing Alone' (off the Tyketto debut) is one of my all time favourite rock ballads :)
I love Terry Brock's 'Back to Eden' CD as well stunning stuff!!

Dec 26, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Enjoy

Yes stunning voice. I bought the Tyketto albums when they first came out and some of his solo cd's since. 'Standing Alone' (off the Tyketto debut) is one of my all time favourite rock ballads :)

I absolutely agree!

Along with 'Carrie' I think Standing Alone is THE ultimate rock ballad out there.

Songs like Forever Young and Burning down Inside are among my very favourite rock songs

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Enjoy

I absolutely agree!

Along with 'Carrie' I think Standing Alone is THE ultimate rock ballad out there.

Songs like Forever Young and Burning down Inside are among my very favourite rock songs

I assume you mean Europe's 'Carrie'? Yes a fine track. My favourite Europe CD is 'Prisoners in Paradise' just has a certain vibe to it and some great songs. Secret Society is also pretty good though.

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #11 of 17
Yes Europe. Prisoners in Paradise have a nice sq mix, compared to the rest, guitar sound is very likable. Good record in general offcourse. I have and heard Secret Society a couple of times, but I just didn't like it. I do like Start from the Dark though, 'Hero' is a fantastic song f.e.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #12 of 17
Just listened to 'Hero' nice song. I have alot of music that I lsten to once and never bother again this CD is one of them. Listening to it again now. :)

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 17
I've always liked the few Europe songs I've heard over the years, but I've never owned any Europe albums. I'm just listening to Prisoners in Paradise on Youtube; I think I'll be finding myself more Europe music :)

BTW, Proglover, I was in The Hague recently and found a brilliant CD store that had lots of Melodic Rock and AOR, but I can't remember the name of it. Do you know it?

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:

BTW, Proglover, I was in The Hague recently and found a brilliant CD store that had lots of Melodic Rock and AOR, but I can't remember the name of it. Do you know it?

Has to be this store:

http://www.rockyroad.nl/index/main 

I've been coming there for years, they're specialized in rock, metal, prog.rock
I bought my Tyketto cd's there, years ago

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #15 of 17
Yes. That's it. Thank you.

Your really lucky to have this shop so close. We used to have a similar store where I live, but it has since been taken ovr by a large CD store and they no longer have anything of interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back