Melodic Artification Alter Ego Discussion and Impression Thread
Apr 22, 2024 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MusicTeck

Sponsor: MusicTeck
1713803244934.png

1713803271306.png

MA Alter Ego Product Highlights

Built to last, built for comfort: Crafted from high-purity titanium alloy, these earphones boast a sleek, full-cavity design that effortlessly molds to your ears. Enjoy hours of listening pleasure without a hint of fatigue.

Unleash the full spectrum of sound: Experience the rich detail of a custom-designed 10.5mm dynamic driver, seamlessly blended with the precision of Sonion balanced armature drivers and the newest Sonion Quad EST driver set.

Power meets precision: A revolutionary dynamic driver and air mixed power structure system guarantees a dynamic listening experience, perfect for any genre.

Open up to a world of detail: The fully open back cavity design ensures a spacious and airy soundstage, allowing every note to breathe.

Two worlds in one: Effortlessly switch between two expertly crafted sound signatures with our convenient music style toggle. Whether you crave vibrant energy or smooth detail, your music will always sound its best.

Crafted for style and function: The newly designed hardware kit, including a sleek silver-plated plug and pins, complements the earphones' stunning aesthetic.

The perfect fit for every ear: Customize your listening experience with five pairs of included Final short E ear tips for a secure and comfortable fit.

Crystal clear sound, crystal clear commitment: High-purity single crystal copper earphone cable undergoes rigorous testing and refinement, ensuring only the purest audio transmission.

Unwavering dedication to detail: We utilize a full-flying wire connection system for maximum signal stability, delivering the pristine sound you deserve.

Specification

Shell Material: TC4 TITANIUM

Frequency Range:5hz~40khz

Impedance:25Ω1khz

Sensitivity:104db@1kHz, 1mw

Stock Eartips: Final Type E

Plug:4.4mm

Driver Configuration: 1DD+4BA+4EST

MusicTeck Stay updated on MusicTeck at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MusicTeckStore https://www.musicteck.com/ info@musicteck.com
Apr 24, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #5 of 9
Early adopter ; again thank you to @MusicTeck for enabling as always. Purchased at RRP.

Unboxing:

Simple cube box. DHL / customs opened my package and the cardboard box needs a good shake to release. I would suggest a little pull tab to make the unboxing easier.
Included are Final-E tips ; two little IEM protective pouches ; cable and IEM and a small rectangular cable case. I found the case small to house both IEM and cable together.

Brief Impressions:

Some of these impressions I have briefly posted on Watercooler. My personal music and tonality preferences may not align with yours.
As Twister mentions in his review, the Alter Ego was universally acclaimed at CanJam from those that heard it. So I was keen to see how these would fit into my collection.

The build quality seems stellar. Titanium. Lightweight. Well machined. The two-pin sockets were one of the smoothest I have experienced. Made cable rolling easy and stress free. The mode switch requires a firm fingernail to switch but is easy to do. This is a sturdy IEM and would be great for commuting.

With the stock cable and Final-E tips, the Alter Ego has a pleasant, balanced tuning with a slight prominence in the bass/low mids. The DD gives the IEM a nice bass impact. With the mids, personally the timbre was safe but but wasn't unique enough for me to engage with. It was hard to describe and it may have been a synergy thing. Perhaps I was hoping for the laid back musicality of the Trailii or dulcet Isabellae ; or the forward engagement of the Diva. Treble is safe. It's there ; not prominent or extended necessarily but no harshness, sibilance or unpleasantries.

If a balanced all-in-one with the option of a bass/mid boost is what you're looking for and decent technicalities then by all means, the Alter Ego should be near the top of your list to audition. The warm switch elevates the bass and low mids. The lower frequency range becomes crowded with the emphasis and injects increased warmth to the tonality. I prefer the clarity of the neutral switch for my music preferences (classical, crossover, c-pop, acoustic). My friend and I thought it was a little 'too' busy but this is track dependent. But if you enjoy the XE6 or Trifecta low end, then you'll probably find an affinity with the warm switch.

After my initial comments on Cooler, I ended up preferring the stock cable. It is well tuned to the IEM. I thought the soundstage could be more holographic but have to remember this is a $2500 IEM and not a $5000 IEM. I tried the Eletech Enigma which improved the clarity, air and separation but unbalanced the tuning and mid timbre. Tips are personal. I ended up enjoying the stock Final-E and thought the W1 were just a tad 'bright' in the upper mid register. W1 and Crystal subtly have a wider soundstage.

I suspect the Alter Ego will sing out of a warmer or well powered source. The SP3000 may not have been quite right. I would have loved to see how the Alter Ego performs with a rich, technically excellent cable like the Sov Symphony.

My Alter Ego is currently en-route to another well known Australian Cooler :)

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 9
As I have completed preliminary cable & ear tip trials for the Alter Ego, I will be copying some of my early impression posts from the Watercooler thread over to this space. Apologies for the redundancy. I am very fortunate to have grabbed a pair of these as soon as I did. My serial number indicates that I have one of the first production sets. Thank you @MusicTeck and special thanks to Leo at @MusicTeck for taking extended time to make cable pairing recommendations.

If you value top class powerful clean bass, mid range presentation, and vocal presence, my Lord, get in line for these.

Nothing is out of order. They do not require much power. The open back design means that sound does bleed out and I could hear as much when I set them down to get something across the room. But they project a lot of detail AND they are fun to listen to.

Listening with the HiBy R8II set to Class A output/Medium gain/Turbo boost ON using the default tuning setting, they are very easy to enjoy and connect with music. There is really good balance from the low end through the mid frequencies. Nothing is distracting. They throw a wide stage. The open back design leaves a lot of room for everything to have its moment. The bass plays strong and clean, featuring more than satisfactory sub bass and mid bass response. It doesn’t have the same texture or visceral presence as what I've experienced with Monachaa, but it does just fine (on the default setting). Male and female vocals are admirably present and have convincing timbre and clarity.

I have experimented by pairing the Alter Ego with the Flash Acoustics Thanos and Beat Audio Cyclone 8-wire cables. The Thanos is now a permanent fixture with the Monachaa for the way it thickens the lower reaches of bass and midbass body while maintaining the Monachaa’s crazy 3D staging. So, I’m not going to mess around any further with that combination since it’s now become my favorite monitor/cable pairing. To be transparent, I also preferred the Thanos with the Alter Ego, but the Cyclone 8-wire is a noticeable improvement to the AE’s stock cable in that it opens up the soundstage a lot. I hear improvements in detail retrieval, texture, and space around instrument staging. The clean and strong bass remains, but I hear an increase in body and detail in the already immersive mid range and vocal presentation. I find that this makes the Alter Ego a highly enjoyable monitor for multiple guitar tracked rock and roll, especially music from the 80’s and 90’s that runs lean through the lower frequencies and hot up top. The Cyclone 8-wire is advertised as “relatively dark” and I would agree that it is not a cable that I would recommend if you are looking to add treble presence or sparkle to the Alter Ego. This might be my only criticism of the AE. The treble region is smooth and present, but not the quality or volume of high frequency presentation that you will find with monitors like Monachaa or Annihilator 23. This makes me curious about how a silver or gold/silver hybrid cable might influence the Alter Ego’s delivery of treble.

Switching the tuning toggle switch results in, to my ear, a subtle lift of lower mid range frequencies and mid bass body. I believe that the cable pairing of the Cyclone 8-wire casts some influence on how subtle this change is for me, and again triggers my interest in pairing a silver cable with the AE. As it stands, with the Cyclone, I prefer the default tuning.

Melodic Artification are going to have a big hit on their hands with the Alter Ego and it gets an easy recommendation from me.

Attachments

• IMG_2979.jpeg
    IMG_2979.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 9
I know that the MA Alter EGO has an open back faceplate.
I assume this means sound leakage. Is the Alter EGO suitable for use in a crowd?
Will people around you be bothered by the sound leakage?

May 6, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 9
I know that the MA Alter EGO has an open back faceplate.
I assume this means sound leakage. Is the Alter EGO suitable for use in a crowd?
Will people around you be bothered by the sound leakage?
If there is already ambient background noise, I’m not sure that anyone neighboring you would pick up the leakage. However, if it’s a more intimate setting, like sitting next to someone on the couch, or in bed, then yes. They’ll hear it.

May 6, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 9
If there is already ambient background noise, I’m not sure that anyone neighboring you would pick up the leakage. However, if it’s a more intimate setting, like sitting next to someone on the couch, or in bed, then yes. They’ll hear it.
Thank you. That was helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back