Melbourne 1st Meet 2011 - 08.01.2011 impressions
Jan 8, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #17 of 59

Quote:
Hey guys, cool meet, can someone let us know more about the source with the HD800 + Auditor?

Ps Thread is useless without pics :wink:

The source is Benchmark DAC1 USB + NAD C515Bee. I personally prefer the DNA amp with HD800 for classical music.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #18 of 59

Quote:
Thank you to Yukari and Duckman for organizing the meet/venue ( and fuses
wink.gif
- tip to people going to meets - reading the voltage at the back and noticing the step down transformer usually helps
biggrin.gif
)

Yes, I probably should have written a notes on the 100V.

Quote:
Hey guys, cool meet, can someone let us know more about the source with the HD800 + Auditor?

Ps Thread is useless without pics :wink:

Hmm I posted a link on the photos i took on post#1: http://www.flickr.com/photos/theworldchild/sets/72157625773823442/

Quote:
The source is Benchmark DAC1 USB + NAD C515Bee. I personally prefer the DNA amp with HD800 for classical music.

I would probably agree with that.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #19 of 59
Lord Mike,

Joe, the owner of the Auditor, had swapped out opamps for a pair of Burson, and the change was quite dramatic in terms of its ability to drive the LCD2 well.

I used to have an Auditor/LCD2 combo and frankly hated it. Muddy, confused sound. But I was surprised to hear Joe's modded Auditor yesterday with the LCD2. I only heard it for about a minute, but it sounded pretty darn good.

Only problem was, the Burson opamps were so tall, Joe could no longer put the lid on :)

Here's a pic . Those two sky-scrapers on the left are the Burson opamps.

Perhaps you could PM him.

Cheers!

Quote:
Can anyone give an impression of the LCD-2 mated to the Auditor? My Phonitor is lacking a companion.

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #20 of 59
Interesting meet, diverse mix of people & gear.
Good to see everyone wearing the hairnets which I took the time to organise and bring (at my cost, btw).
I'm sure the photos tell the story there about how cool everyone looks protecting each others' headphones from their individual microbes.
Hairnets were used in ways I never previously thought were possible.
Thanks to the people who took the time to come over and talk, listen & provide constructive comment.
I am heartened by the hope that at least one person who previously was scared off from attempting it is now considering a DIY DAC/Amp project.
More than one person agreed with me that HD800's (and probably other dynamic HPs) benefit from being wired up to a balanced DAC/Amp system.
So thanks to those positive comments.
As for the music itsself, I heard 2 albums in particular that I'd seek out to buy.
Thanks to Yukari for organising, and thanks to all those who ventured over to my corner on the day, and their kind words.
As a first time participant, it was interesting...
Sorry I had to leave early, but then there is next time....

Geoff

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #21 of 59
First, thanks to Yukari for organising a successful GTG.
Plenty of gear to sample :)

Thanks also to Solarstabi for letting me hear his balanced HD800 via a Yamaha CDP to a DIY Twisted Pear DAC.
To Duckman for his Leben integrated and LCD2.
And to Yukari for her wonderful Stax setup and the ALO Rx.
Unfortunately I didn't stay long enough to sample other gear at this meet.

This is my 2nd head-fi "sanctioned" GTG in Melbourne; the first was organised by gz76 and FeedMeTrance back in 2007!

Aural impressions?
Too noisy an environment to really appreciate the nuances of each setup.
Unfortunate indeed because I'd love to compare and contrast the Stax and HD800 more rigorously.
However I did get to hear what they could be capable of :)

Thanks all.
k_

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #22 of 59

Quote:
Lord Mike,

Joe, the owner of the Auditor, had swapped out opamps for a pair of Burson, and the change was quite dramatic in terms of its ability to drive the LCD2 well.

I used to have an Auditor/LCD2 combo and frankly hated it. Muddy, confused sound. But I was surprised to hear Joe's modded Auditor yesterday with the LCD2. I only heard it for about a minute, but it sounded pretty darn good.

Only problem was, the Burson opamps were so tall, Joe could no longer put the lid on :)

Here's a pic . Those two sky-scrapers on the left are the Burson opamps.

Perhaps you could PM him.

Cheers!

Thanks for the additional insights. Very very helpful!

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #24 of 59
[size=10pt]Once again thanks to Yukari and Duckman for the whole meet, it was my first meet and I finally feel like I'm not in the dark on what true audiophile gear actually sounds like. A huge thanks to everyone whom let me listen to their gear through my setup but most notably to Joe whom let me listen to his amazing system and to his T1 and HD800 through my own setup for quite a while.[/size]

[size=10pt]I was listening mainly through my NuForce HDP because I am in the market for something new and was looking to make a decision from the meet. After hearing the LCD-2, HD800, T1, HD650, K701, RS1 and many other great phones, I was impressed greatly by the sound of the T1 but a little disappointed by the HD800. The LCD-2 was also really good and quite similar to the T1.[/size]

[size=10pt]The HD800 is the most beautiful headphone aesthetically and I have long had affection for Sennheiser, after reading for so long on Head-fi about how great they were my expectations were perhaps too great, I found that the sound was too laid back for my tastes, although everything was there, compared to the T1, I didn't feel enough impact in the bass and energy in the treble. I would still love to own a pair, they are amazing with a lot of my music but because I'm after more of an all-rounder, the T1 as confirmed by Joe was definitely better for me.[/size]

[size=10pt]The T1 left me with the greatest impression and have since been craving more time with them, dreaming. Playing through a lot of genres, they put a good lot of energy into the rock and faster music, the speed was great and I was enjoying them greatly and then when I went into soft acoustic music nothing was missing, there was a great lot of detail and every pluck of the guitar string was so crisp and amazing.[/size]

[size=10pt]Then to the LCD-2, out of my own setup, I would compare them very similar to the T1 except with more bass which unfortunately ended up sucking some of the refinement out. They were still very good but just not as good with my setup which was where it mattered. Given the proper amp, they would definitely sound amazing and probably more to my liking than the T1 given I am a bit of a bass-head.[/size]

[size=10pt]I also enjoyed the K701 which are quite similar to my ATH-CK100, light bass, very detailed. I would love a pair to play acoustic through, but because of the ‘lacking’ bass, it wasn’t going to lead to a purchase. Lastly I will comment on the RS1, wow, I have never heard rock with such amazing energy, the RS1 is home to the best guitar solo I have ever heard. The treble was to die for but sadly the bass was just not there. In a perfect world I would definitely buy a pair… If only. [/size]

[size=10pt]So at the moment I am in the market for a T1 but I may end up going through a different route if I can find a combination of a couple of phones which will suit me better. Thanks again everyone, looking forward to the next meet![/size]

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #26 of 59
My 2 Twisted Pear Audio Buffalo DACs (B32 & B-II, one off Yamaha CD player & other off Macbook Pro) each have full balanced output via TPA's "IVY" linestages, driving headphones balanced.
So, yes, there were 2 almost-identical (old & new model of same product) setups driving HD800s balanced.
A number of people listened and commented that HD800s appear to benefit from being driven this way.
I have been listening at home to the new B-II (only a few days old) with HD800s and find that I have been turning the volume up more than I have been used to with other headphones.
I can vouch that HD800s can cope with this and are not fatiguing to listen to due to very low distortion.
A bit of volume is needed however to bring out the bass impact and bring the midrange forward.
If I want more oomph I'd need a balanced-in/balanced-out class A headphone amp.
But at the moment I don't need any more oomph than I've got.

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #27 of 59
Jan 11, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #28 of 59
Very nice looking M^3 amplifier. Didn't listen to it, as I have my own but if I had $250 right now, I would buy yours as well hehe :D Such an amazing amplifier for the price. I don't like to spend hundreds and hundreds on one component, so the M^3 is great for someone like me. Good luck with your sales, I am sure the M^3 will sell very soon and the DT990 not too shortly after.

I still don't know whether to save up for the HD650 haha. They amazed me at the meet but I would need to have them for a few days to properly evaluate them. Definitely a worth while meet then, since I always thought I would hate the HD650. This meet also showed me I can definitely tell a difference between a recabled pair of headphones and stock.

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #30 of 59
I'm sorry I missed your setup, Geoff.

Neither did I get near the DNA Sonnet, which I was keen to hear.

Yukari's pictures reminded me that I wanted to hear the Amphora also, but didn't.

Perhaps we can have a "mini-meet" at an acoustically-quieter place (anyone have a big loungeroom?) to allow some of us to do follow-up listening?
4 - 6 people at a time?
Caulfield/Ormond/Murrumbeena area.

My place is a bit small - only room to set up 3 separate headphone setups.
PM me if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back