Meizu MX4 Pro
Apr 3, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #33 of 64
So I listened to the Vivo 5X Max and compared it to the Xiaomi Mi Note.  There are some subtle differences in the sound.  I would say that the Mi Note's sound is more laid back while the 5X Max is more dynamic.  So this might be worth considering when pairing with earphones.  I preferred the Vivo, but I favour a more bright and energetic sound.  As with the Meizu MX4 Pro, I thought both phones were a step-up from my Sony Xperia Z1.

One thing I should add about the Vivo is the battery life is pretty average, even with the version I was loaned that has a 2300 mAh battery (as opposed to the standard version in China).  I don't really use my phone for games etc but it is worth noting.  Also, the Hi-Fi sound feature in both phones seems to only work if you use the stock music player.  I've heard talk that you can get it to work in some apps with some hacks, but I can't find English language instructions to direct others to.

I don't think the Hi-Fi sound feature in the Meizu, Vivo and Xiaomi is just a gimmick.  You can definitely hear a difference in sound quality if you disable this feature, especially with the Vivo.  After hearing all three phones I would go with the Vivo, just because I feel that like their XShot and XPlay phones the integration of the high-end audio components has been handled better.  However, you do need to think about the battery and other specs (for example, I was pretty shocked that the Vivo does not support ac band on Wi-Fi).

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #35 of 64
Nice impressions Malifact.

Can you tell me what you mean exactly here?

I've only heard the Xplay and Xshot briefly, but I've also felt that Vivo don't just put high end audio components on their phones, but actually make the effort to get the sound and tuning right. I wasn't familiar with Meizu or Xiaomi until recently and so I can't comment on them.

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #36 of 64
The Meizu Mx4 pro having no SD card slot pretty much makes this phone a no go for me.  I could plug in an external drive/pen drive. but that would be a pain nocking around in my pocket. 
But possible.  If there was an SD card version I think I heard it will not work well in Europe ?

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #37 of 64
I've only heard the Xplay and Xshot briefly, but I've also felt that Vivo don't just put high end audio components on their phones, but actually make the effort to get the sound and tuning right. I wasn't familiar with Meizu or Xiaomi until recently and so I can't comment on them.

I'am not familiar with their sound implementations, but do you mean software audio 'enhancements'? If so, then I'am afraid they just alter the flat frequency response and if purely in technical terms - they distort the sound. The same as Dirac on Meizu, I don't use this 'feature' at all. If you want 'enhancements', just use the damned EQ :D so you can see what changes are being made, not just go blindly with some random audio alterations.

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #38 of 64
I'am not familiar with their sound implementations, but do you mean software audio 'enhancements'? If so, then I'am afraid they just alter the flat frequency response and if purely in technical terms - they distort the sound. The same as Dirac on Meizu, I don't use this 'feature' at all. If you want 'enhancements', just use the damned EQ
biggrin.gif
so you can see what changes are being made, not just go blindly with some random audio alterations.

I don’t think it’s the case that these are enhancements. I believe that since these phones use dedicated components that you have the option of using them for audio playback instead of what is included as standard with the chipset. Since this uses more battery, the option is there to turn this feature on or off.  Somebody can probably explain it better than me, but Vivo etc go into more detail on their websites.  Meizu in particular has a decent explanation of how the technology works on this page:

http://www.meizu.com/en/products/mx4pro/hifi.html

I don't know if this means anything, as it is beyond my knowledge of sound technology.  I just trust my ears and the audio output from the Vivo phones sounds better with the Hifi feature on.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #39 of 64
Well that probably depends on the phone, but in most of them you can't turn off the dedicated DAC and if it's where you can be pretty sure that it's being used. Can't comment about the 'hifi' feature you are reffering to, but if it noticeably increases bass response then it's a given that no matter what else it does, it alters the frequency response as well (like beats audio and other crap) which is not good.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #40 of 64
Guyz check this out  this !  Vivo 5  suitcase version ! 
it contains  3 superb audio chips  : Yamaha YSS205X-CZE2, Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC and headphone amplifier Maxim Integrated MAX97220

http://www.bdplay.com/smartphone-world/advanced-smartphone-vivo-x5-with-suitcase

May 14, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #43 of 64
  How would you compare the x5 to a ibasso dx 90 and did the vivo sound more bass heavy then the meizu ?

I can't compare the X5 to the iBasso DX90, but I would say the Vivo sound is more neutral than the Meizu which is warmer to my ears.

Does anybody know if the MX4 pro has any improvements (sound quality) over the MX3 (which I have)?

I haven't heard the MX3, but the MX4 Pro has better audio components.  Of course, how this is implemented also matters.  One thing to bear in mind is it's just been announced in China that the MX4 Pro has been discountinued, although Meizu has said they will continue to support the phone.

May 14, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #44 of 64
I haven't heard the MX3, but the MX4 Pro has better audio components.  Of course, how this is implemented also matters.  One thing to bear in mind is it's just been announced in China that the MX4 Pro has been discountinued, although Meizu has said they will continue to support the phone.

If they continue to support the phone then its no problem. At least its good to know that it has better audio components.
It would surprise me if it doesnt sound better as a result. I hope theres a store in my city where I can test the device. It would be a nice upgrade... in both ways.

May 19, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #45 of 64
  I see...  Even if I should go for the Meizu, I'll be waiting for your feedback about the Vivo

Meizu might launch mx5 "http://www.gsmarena.com/leaked_meizu_mx5_renders_show_bezelless_display-news-12226.php" in few weeks for same price .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back