Meizu MX2 (Android phone) with S/PDIF output
Nov 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

seekadds

100+ Head-Fier
As the availability and awareness of hi-fi DAC's increases, so does the search for portable sources with digital output. Basically our only options are old iRivers, old CDP's, and the Cowon D3. Enter the Meizu MX2, an iPhone-looking android phone that, according to the linked article, has S/PDIF output, a major boon for many of us head-fiers. I was unable to find if it will be a coax or TOSLINK implementation.

Since I do not like combining DAP & phone into one unit, I probably won't be getting the Meizu. However, some of y'all might be interested. I hope this becomes more common among phones and DAP's alike! 

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 13
went to a chinese website once, that said it would be coax, dont remember exactly what website.
For now, all i care is when they are going to release the S/PDIF adapter or dock out cable or whatever solution they are planning to release.
I want to use it with E17, as to me DAP and smartphone in 1 unit is awesome.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 13
someone from head-fi said that he got a reply from meizu about the cable is being under final process after which they will sell it on their official website-http://meizumxon.com/
i just want the cable very badly, i mean how many smartphones are there with s/pdif out anyway.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 13
went to a chinese website once, that said it would be coax, dont remember exactly what website.
For now, all i care is when they are going to release the S/PDIF adapter or dock out cable or whatever solution they are planning to release.
I want to use it with E17, as to me DAP and smartphone in 1 unit is awesome.

I think for 90% of people smartphone and DAP in one unit is ideal. So this Meizu should be interesting.  
I am not saying you are wrong or trying you convince you to spend money on a DAP; I understand the convenience factor. I just feel like presenting my case for separate units.  
1) Increased battery life for phone.  
2) What if you are "DJing" a mini party with your DAP, and someone calls? This is probably the main reason, actually. Not that I do this a lot, but I carry a portable speaker with me usually and sometimes play for others. I can still take calls while doing this, using separate units. I can even let people queue up a playlist without having to worry about giving them access to my email, passwords, texts, etc.  
3) Phone is a backup music source. I pretty much go crazy if I get on the train for my work commute with no mp3 player and/or headphones. If I forgot my DAP, phone is the backup. If they were only in one unit, if I forgot my phone, well....  
These reasons may seem small, but hey, so is the size of an extra phone-sized device! To me it's worth it.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 13
I am not saying you are wrong or trying you convince you to spend money on a DAP; I understand the convenience factor. I just feel like presenting my case for separate units.

Not at all, no misunderstandings. :smile:
Of course you are right in your case and then its always different situations with different people:))
Like in my case, its obvious that i carry my phone wherever i go and i dont like anything in my pocket not even wallet. so, i carry my wallet in a backpack or shoulder bag. Hence, i always carry my MK3-B and IEM in that particular backpack too. And then i always carry
two phones(call/internet-music) so, i wont miss my calls:))

If am not carrying my backpack, then thats defenetly to go for a quicky else to meet my gf, in either cases am not supposed to plug anything in my ears or she would kill me:deadhorse:

This is how my life is and its been this for 5 years.
I know totally offtopic , but anyway its always nice to share things:))

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 13
A portable dap, a portable dap...
My vision is kinda different..
I have a lot of devices around and what i want is interoperability.
If i have my ultrabook/laptop/xbox/ps3 AND the smartphone i want to use the same device to carry all of them.
This is the spirit beyond the  DAC/AMP series with a battery.

And if you think about the battery, a good portable DAC/AMP with a mobile phone (maybe with a quad or + cores and a big bright screen and plenty of ram) has enough trouble to keep the system up all day if stressed, you just CAN'T add a 200Ohm headphone... maybe you can but you will need a huge battery, and the phone becomes giant + no interoperability.

Conclusion: Buy a E17 or wathever similar and get a SPDIF phone.

Talking about my experience.. i have a galaxy s2 and i still hope for a usb audio out because the E17 will not help at the moment... Maybe a little bit with poweramp and a good cable but the yamaha faggott inside ruins all my plains... i hate him... arhghah
angry_face.gif

biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 13
We are ok then
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #10 of 13
Got a mail from Dawid, from Meizu, yesterday. It was tottaly informal anyway . here's what Meizu said
'' preorder starts now-
http://meizumxon.com/meizu-mx2-4-core.html

- Dawid ''

No word about the S/PDIF adapter/cable.
Hope they release something with the Mx2 -19/12/12

May 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 13
too bad it do not offer Tosh-link  optical out ! 

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 13
I know of at least one phone that you can get s/pdif from with not much effort.  That is the Nokia N8.  It has a micro USB port which has "on-the-go" functionality.  I have connected it to a Fiio D5 which can then output co-axial s/pdif.  You cannot connect a USB hub so you cannot have a mass storage device connected to the micro USB port at the same time.  Although not strictly related to this thread, with the N8 you can connect a portable USB hard drive connected to the micro USB port (I have a 1TB drive connected) and a HDMI cable to the HDMI port which I then connect to an audio de-embedder which extracts s/pdif from the HDMI signal.  Voila the N8 becomes a portable 1TB music player.  Unfortunately the de-embedder needs its own power source so that is not so good.  The USB hard drive also needs extra power via a Y-cable but that can come OK from a little portable USB battery.

May 29, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #13 of 13
I have my Meizu MX2 for 1.5 year now... What can I say - Wolfson did a great job. The sound is intensive and warm. I've tried HTC One since then, but sold and took Meizu back from shelf (thanks God, no one bought it :) ). However, i was not experienced in choosing headphones, so I've bought those of high price :) senheiser ie80, not bad, but now I know there are better ones for lower price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back