Meizu M6SL
Jun 15, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #16 of 25
Whoops. Looks like I was a little rash in posting that ^ so soon after getting my hands on the M6. I will try and reformulate my findings into a rather more measured review over the next few days, but the headline might well read: "SOMETIMES the best sounding portable DAP I've ever heard ON SOME RECORDINGS. SOMETIMES." This machine is quirkier and more unpredictable than an overcaffeinated squirrel. I still like it though, it has character!

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #18 of 25
Yup, seen the Meizume forums, thanks.

I found a NOS M6SL on eBay. It was still sealed in its packaging and had the annoying little sticker in the corner of the screen. I still intend to put up a little review here when I've given it a fair chance to demonstrate what it can do.

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #20 of 25
My Meizu 8GB M6 SL supports album art and has done since I first bought it 2.5 years ago; a reason that I bought it other than the discussed sound quality that rivals the majority of other players (especially for the price).  You have to make sure that your music ID3 tag that is assigned to the "Album Name" part of the tag inside of the MP3/OGG/FLAC file matches to the SAME NAMED .jpg file in the folder where each of your album folders are stored on the player.  I have a sub folder off of MUSIC for each album as most people would.  Each album has one album cover .jpg file inside.  The file name for that .jpg file has to exactly match the tag that is stored in the music file for the "Album Name".  I use the program Mp3tag (Windows) to set my ID3 tagging which seems to support all of the formats that the Meizu can play back.  I would not suggest tagging all of your albums directly on the Meizu's MUSIC folders however as it is quite slow to save the changes to the USB device.

Quote:
For those not familiar, it's about the same size as a Fuze, only slimmer! It's not perfect, to be fair; the controls are fiddly, there's no album art at all, and finding things on the menus can be a challenge, but it hasn't malfunctioned once during firmware update, loading of files, and initial listening sessions. (Also, it doesn't mount on a Mac. Luckily it did mount on my Unix machine, otherwise it wouldn't be much use to me).

I'm going to say it again in case you didn't quite catch it: The best sounding portable DAP I've ever heard. It'll be fascinating to compare it to the S:FLO2 when that arrives. I know of at least one Head-Fier who rates the M6SL as better...

It'll certainly be quite a turn-around if I end up so happy with it that it becomes my everyday player, unamped. Interesting times!

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #21 of 25
Good to hear that someone else out there is still enjoying the delights of Meizu's masterpiece!

Since writing that post I discovered how to do the album art thing from the MeizuMe forums. Funnily enough my M6SL had it's first "funny turn" yesterday. I had to re-update the firmware to get it going again, and lost all my music. It was actually quite nice to choose a whole new bunch of music to put on it, but I hope it doesn't do that too often!

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #22 of 25
Just to clear this up: The controls aren't "fiddly" at all, at least not to me. When I first got it, it felt pretty supersensitive and I always scrolled down three entries instead of one. You adapt to this really fast, and I prefer the Meizu touchstrap to all other dap controls I have seen yet, eventouchscreen.

TS version isn't refurbished SL, but more or less SL with SP screen (SP screen is better than SL, which is annoyingly blueish (not that this would matter much)). Maybe there are other differences as well, but I don't think so. You can't use SL firmware on TS or vice-versa. The only working firmware for M6 TS is 2.004.7. However, the ultimate SL firmware is 2.004.6. There is also a 2.004.7 SL firmware, but nobody knows why they made it as it causes problems on both TS and SL. You can get TS .7 fw on mediafire.com/kadano.
TS was in production for only a few months. I got one of the very last batches from liaow. Too bad Meizu doesn't make any daps now.

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #23 of 25
TS version? I wasn't aware of that one. I only know about TP, SP and SL versions. Does the TS have the Wolfson DAC of the SL?

I'm still using my M6 regularly. It being so small I tend to carry it around as a backup in case my HM-602 runs out of gas at an inopportune moment. I still think it's a great player. I'm not going to pretend it can compete toe-to-toe with the HiFiMan, but it's fantastic considering its size (and lack of fame!)

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #24 of 25
I had one but sent it back, it's def a powerful, great-sounding little player. I would have kept it, but mine had a couple white lines running through the screen. After playing with all the sound enhancements features on the M6, I still thought my Sansa Fuze and Clip (Rock boxed) sounded as good, and were both expandable  and cheaper to boot, so I did not see the need to spend the extra money on the M6. The M6 is a great little unit, but as good as it is I felt as though it's time has come and gone.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #25 of 25

Quote:
TS version? I wasn't aware of that one. I only know about TP, SP and SL versions. Does the TS have the Wolfson DAC of the SL?

I'm still using my M6 regularly. It being so small I tend to carry it around as a backup in case my HM-602 runs out of gas at an inopportune moment. I still think it's a great player. I'm not going to pretend it can compete toe-to-toe with the HiFiMan, but it's fantastic considering its size (and lack of fame!)

Yes, same Wolfson DAC. As I said, it's just SL with a better screen and thus different firmware.

@ZV3 yeah, the M6 is about 4 years old now. I don't think that there is a DAP beating it in all categories, but there certainly are players with better value now. I still hope Meizu will make another DAP with improved firmware that needs no adaptation by the consumer(tag-fixing to id3v1, album art in separate jpgs, 100-songs-per-artist limit). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back