Meizu M6SL
Oct 9, 2007 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mmmjays

New Head-Fier
Has ANYONE bought one of these puppies yet? I'm dying to get one, but I want to make sure the product is worth while! Are there any reviews online for it yet?

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 25
I'm sure it'll be worthwhile. M6, but slimmer and better sound.

Hopefully they've worked on the firmware a bit to read imbedded album art - and maybe at somepoint - they'll mod the firmare even more so you can disply it even larger . . .

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 25
Yeah. Ive been waiting since its release for some reviews. But nothing on it. And honestly, it doesn't really seem like there will be any solid reviews coming in anytime soon. I'm tempted to just buy one and see for myself instead of free riding on other peoples information :p

I guess i'll give it a few more days. so peoples, if you know something about the new m6sl tell me all about it!!!

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by meusickfrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you get these in the U.S.? How much for the 8GB? Where?

The ones I saw on eBay are to be shipped from Hong Kong or China. Actually from the posts on the Meizu's forums I thought the 8GB was not available yet. House of DAP has the white 4GB version for $129 and their website says it's "in stock."

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 25
Ya, saw the ones on e-bay from Hong Kong but the seller had no previous sales? I already have a 4gb m6 and would like to upgrade to the SL when it comes out. FYI Newegg has 4gb m6 For $89.00 w/$5.00 shipping after a mail in rebate of $10.00.

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtxxtxxtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i heard the newest update can support APE. that makes it awesome..i will wait for some review

Hurray for antiquated codecs ? Who honestly gives a crap about .ape anymore ? Almost as silly as being excited for .shn support.
blink.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmjays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well whatever, I just bought one off ebay like 2 minuted ago. I guess i'll probably be one of the first to review it on head-fi lol.

Who was the seller?

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the new ms is just a thinner version and even less battery time. I've also heard that they haven't fixed the hissing issue.

where did you hear it?

the sl is supposed to use some new chips so maybe they redesigned the hissy circuit. maybe i'll just by the m3, which i've heard sounds better and has much less hiss..

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 25

I wonder what the longest time between two posts on a Head-Fi forum thread is? Maybe I could have started a new thread, but I think it's interesting that there is so little discussion of this player these days given what I'm about to say.

I got a new Meizu M6SL 8GB in the post today. Only listened to it for a couple of hours so far but I'm pretty certain that it's the best sounding portable DAP I've ever heard. By some distance. And yes, I've listened to A LOT of DAPs. I haven't heard a HM-801 or an S:FLO2 (yet, there's an S:FLO2 on the way from Hong Kong now), but I've made it my business to hear pretty much everything else with a reputation for good SQ. This is better. It is amazing.I haven't even bothered to plug it into an amp yet; I'm not sure that's going to be necessary. I haven't detected any hiss whatsoever yet, btw.

For those not familiar, it's about the same size as a Fuze, only slimmer! It's not perfect, to be fair; the controls are fiddly, there's no album art at all, and finding things on the menus can be a challenge, but it hasn't malfunctioned once during firmware update, loading of files, and initial listening sessions. (Also, it doesn't mount on a Mac. Luckily it did mount on my Unix machine, otherwise it wouldn't be much use to me).

I'm going to say it again in case you didn't quite catch it: The best sounding portable DAP I've ever heard. It'll be fascinating to compare it to the S:FLO2 when that arrives. I know of at least one Head-Fier who rates the M6SL as better...

It'll certainly be quite a turn-around if I end up so happy with it that it becomes my everyday player, unamped. Interesting times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back