meizu m6 sq and other dap sq
Apr 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 35
hmm since this threat is kind of a recommendation thread as well ... so could u guys recommend some daps that have really good sqs or at least good bass ?

personally i like meizu because i am a bass head and meizu have some quality bass paired with my xbi(bass version of x3s) that gives loads of bass that i want
and meizu is cheap as well ..

Anyway sony's A818 have really good sq as well ? strong and clear bass ?

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #17 of 35
Yes, A818 has strong and clear bass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantsilence /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm since this threat is kind of a recommendation thread as well ... so could u guys recommend some daps that have really good sqs or at least good bass ?

personally i like meizu because i am a bass head and meizu have some quality bass paired with my xbi(bass version of x3s) that gives loads of bass that i want
and meizu is cheap as well ..

Anyway sony's A818 have really good sq as well ? strong and clear bass ?

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #18 of 35
I think it's preference. The SP's bass has something to it that is missing from A818's bass. A818 sounds clearer and has great highs. Both players are great, and you can't go wrong with either of them, but for me I prefer the Meizu SP's bass to the A818, and I prefer the clarity of the A818 to the SP. With my Denon C700 they need a slight boost in the bass, while the mids/highs is already good enough.

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #19 of 35
If you can live with the skipping after tracks keep the meizu. I had a mini player and now have an Iaudio and for me I always feel like it is missing something. The Iaudio also hisses like crazy, worse then the meizu. You won't gain much in sound by changing players IMHO but I've never heard the sony.

Apr 9, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #20 of 35
I use both the old meizu e3 and the meizu music card m3, the old e3 is a very good unit- no hiss present at all at any time. The m3 only hisses when nothing is playing, as soon as you select what music you want to listen to the hiss goes and the sq of the playback is very very good. As for the skipping, it happens so rarely it is not worth worrying about.

But then again, i also still like listening to my rockboxed ipod gen2 mini.

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #21 of 35
don't forget that rockbox is working hard on porting for the meizu m6 - so forget about the shoddy firmware - although i cannot complain too much about it versus cowon d2 stuff - both are suffering holes.

as for the sony, it should drive iems better but that is it. the meizu should do much better with large phones - for many reasons but i have found this to be true. the sony is phenomenal except for hiss with iems and canals but... with large phones it leaves so much to be desired.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #22 of 35
shigzeo, rockbox is currently in the process of porting into Meizu M6? Now that's makes me reluctant to sell it.
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't forget that rockbox is working hard on porting for the meizu m6 - so forget about the shoddy firmware - although i cannot complain too much about it versus cowon d2 stuff - both are suffering holes.

as for the sony, it should drive iems better but that is it. the meizu should do much better with large phones - for many reasons but i have found this to be true. the sony is phenomenal except for hiss with iems and canals but... with large phones it leaves so much to be desired.

Would a portable amp make up for the Sony's weakness in powering high impedance phones?

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #24 of 35
The D2's cold, analytical sound makes it perfect for amping, and when done so, makes for some excellent SQ, while expanding the soundstage and eliminating the sibilance that plagues it. When configured properly, the D2 can produce a sound that's near identical to that of a line-out or USB DAC signal. Having recently upgraded my amp from a Tomahawk to a Predator, I'm totally amazed over what this little player can do.

Definitely looking forward to Rockbox's D2 firmware, though. Hopefully they'll be able to keep all the touch-screen functionalities, and get rid of some of Cowon's sibilance and soundstage issues.

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #25 of 35
yes the d2 can sound good but i find it needs external amp or line imp to make it listenable to me. conversely, the ipod 3g sounds good from the jack. the meizu would have been perfect for me other than hiss. with imp adapter, it is amazing.

they sony too is very good. if you amp it, you need to be careful as it distorts early on. it goes to volume 20 or 30 but distorts about 2/3 of the way to the top. the sony have always been plagued with overamplification. i have owned them since 1999 and they sound good but always have this problem.

i do not consider it very good with big phones as i do not like to amp my portables so i choose a portable that is best sacrifice for portable, big phones and moving around. currently meizu m6 and nano 3g are my favs.

agree with robojack. d2 could be quite good too when getting rid of the terrible things cowon do to the firmware of these devices to make them more tweakable for crazy non hifi sounds. i do hope it is in the firmware otherwise, the d2 will never get where it needs to be.

rockbox actually made me keep my meizu as well. no matter how much i liked it, it does not do gapless and that is killer for me. for d2 and meizu get rbox, they will be killer.

Apr 28, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2's cold, analytical sound makes it perfect for amping, and when done so, makes for some excellent SQ, while expanding the soundstage and eliminating the sibilance that plagues it. When configured properly, the D2 can produce a sound that's near identical to that of a line-out or USB DAC signal. Having recently upgraded my amp from a Predator to a Tomahawk, I'm totally amazed over what this little player can do.

Definitely looking forward to Rockbox's D2 firmware, though. Hopefully they'll be able to keep all the touch-screen functionalities, and get rid of some of Cowon's sibilance and soundstage issues.

Is it really an upgrade?
confused.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #28 of 35
Ah okay thanks.

Sigh, I have a D2 utterly ambivalent as to whether I want to sell it. Love the detail, maybe a bit harsh but I can live with it, but the bass ... just find it gapingly lacking for me especially in punchiness (this is with 10 MachBass, and +9 80Hz EQed, all else flat). Maybe I'm just spoilt by my ageing H320 ...

Tossing up whether to sell it and get a Sony/Meizu. Then again they don't have SD expansion slots and have smaller/worse quality screens.

I got a mini^3 and it helped but not nearly enough. Granted the fact I'm trying to match it to iM716s/HD600s doesn't help, I could have just picked more bass emphasises cans to begin with.

Advice?

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxicsweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it really an upgrade?
confused.gif

Whoops! I meant the other way around. I upgraded from a Tomahawk TO a Predator :p

This is what happens when I type when I'm half asleep. Thanks for pointing that out!.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah okay thanks.

Sigh, I have a D2 utterly ambivalent as to whether I want to sell it. Love the detail, maybe a bit harsh but I can live with it, but the bass ... just find it gapingly lacking for me especially in punchiness (this is with 10 MachBass, and +9 80Hz EQed, all else flat). Maybe I'm just spoilt by my ageing H320 ...

Tossing up whether to sell it and get a Sony/Meizu. Then again they don't have SD expansion slots and have smaller/worse quality screens.

I got a mini^3 and it helped but not nearly enough. Granted the fact I'm trying to match it to iM716s/HD600s doesn't help, I could have just picked more bass emphasises cans to begin with.

Advice?

What phones are you using with the D2? All of my IEMs and my HFI-780s are driven by the D2 without even having to go past halfway. If you're using high-ohm cans, then you'll definitely need a more powerful amp (such as the Tomahawk or better yet, a Predator).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back