meizu m6 sq and other dap sq
Apr 7, 2008 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

iwantsilence

New Head-Fier
hi guys .. i have been using m6 for a long long time and lately , several daps are out such as cowon d2 and sony walkmans etc ... so my question is how does the sq of the m6 be compared with the d2 , sony etc? I have been having qualms to get a new dap

personally i already find m6 sounding pretty good and love it ... are there dap that are better than the m6 sq ? Or similar to it ? or other sound signatures better than it ?

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 35
i would of thought meizu has one of the best (note, one of the best) sq available to us.

im not sure how the m6 sounds like compared to others, but i can guess its up there

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 35
Based upon my own experience and comparisons from others, Ive found the M6 to be right in the middle of the spectrum, with the D2 on the analytical side of things, and the 6XX and 8XX series to using a comparatively warmer approach.

I really don't think your missing out on anything. I say sink that money into getting a high quality pair of headphones/ IEMs, because you certainly have the player to match.

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 35
haha i guess you are right .. since i am already satisfied with my current player and sound ... its normal for one to seek for something even better
redface.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantsilence /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha i guess you are right .. since i am already satisfied with my current player and sound ... its normal for one to seek for something even better
redface.gif

Its the mark of an audiophile.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #6 of 35
I have Meizu M6 and paired with Crossroads Mylar3 before with Spatilizer on. Sounds fantastic like BBE or SRS WOW enhancement added! The downside is it drains your battery life very fast!

Now have upgrade IEM to Atrio's M8, with Flat EQ setting, bass boost set to 3, treble boost set to 1 and have the Spatilizer turned off. Results of very warm, clear and crisp sound and wider soundstage with approximate 30 hours burn in. You can hear the bass output difference from the bass boost setting alone, very tight!
smily_headphones1.gif
(Oh my battery life has improving!) Might getting Etymotic ER-4P next month.

I do wanted to get a new player, but very unlikely now because not all players support FLAC format, shame. So considering to get a portable amp for sound upgrades. I am very satisfied with the current M6 useability, battery life, size and the 8Gb storage (damn only left less than 1Gb free storage now
frown.gif
).

Nowadays I like to listen to Flat EQ with a little bass and treble adjustment and paired with high end IEMs so Cowon is not in the list. Read the Zune 8 reviews and claimed to have crisps and clear sound, but lack of FLAC support and hate using the software to transfer the music into player but would prefer to use iPod iTunes instead.

iMod is too bulky for me, considering everyday commuter to London, dont want to stuff bulky and heavy objects in my pocket he he.

Back to the topic, although I did not try other player sound quality, but so far I am satisfied with the Meizu M6 SQ. Maybe you should upgrade your IEM before changing the player.

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #7 of 35
o gosh i have been using crossroad xbi with meizu currently
biggrin.gif
and i am using the old 2gig sp version ... i've been using this old trust worthy player for years and its battery life is deteriorating day after day

i thought i should replace the batteries .. but seeing the opportunity to upgrade to a even better player and thus asked for suggestions and recommendations here

oh an your rite ... there are a couple of players are not capable of handing flac files which is really a pity ... like samsung p2 etc ...

it would be really good if someone can compare this combination

mylar xbi + m6 + flac vs mylar xbi + cowon d2 + flac ...

this will be the deciding factor if i will buy the cowon d2

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4agze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"....Read the Zune 8 reviews and claimed to have crisps and clear sound, but lack of FLAC support...."

Just FYI, all Zune (first and second gen, flash and hdd based) support WMA Loseless, which as the name implies, is a lossless codec just like FLAC, and with an application like dBpoweramp, in seconds you can convert FLAC to WMA Loseless if you absolutely need that extra bit of quality.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just FYI, all Zune (first and second gen, flash and hdd based) support WMA Loseless, which as the name implies, is a lossless codec just like FLAC, and with an application like dBpoweramp, in seconds you can convert FLAC to WMA Loseless if you absolutely need that extra bit of quality.
wink.gif

Thanks for the info mate, is dBpoweramp a free software?
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4agze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info mate, is dBpoweramp a free software?
biggrin.gif

Free as the air you are breathing right now....ok, fine, not that free...it is going to cost you some bandwith
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 35
i too have the meizu m6 and owned and sold the cowon d2 and i own the sony s615 which i only use for recording as i find it great but just a bit too much.

the meizu seemed to present music much more like listening to a hifi than the d2 which (please no one hit me now) had a smaller stage and for my fast bass-driven trance, very muddy bass with iems of any type and canal phones of 16ohm.

i own(ed)
um2
er4s
denon c700
atrio m6
hp-fx500

each of which are amazing phones. the phone that seemed best with the meizu for lack of hiss and if at all, only minor bass roll off was the er4s but i do not like its hightened treble presentation.

the meizu hisses (maybe not the new sl version as much) more than many players but overall, has a good stage and not too compressed of a musical spectrum.

out of the 3 players you mentioned, it is the only one i am glad to have purchased and still own. i was going to sell it last year but the sale did not work out.

meizu m6 and d2 both look to receive rockbox in the next year - which could mean many good things for both players. for me, just aac and gapless support will be happy days as i care little for flac or ogg.

i would not have sold the d2 if it did not have weaknesses of small stage and muddy bass for fast bass-driven trance music (90% of what i listen to).

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 35
Glad to hear that the Meizu's still going strong. I recently bought a new iriver H120, and I can say that it definitely sounds similar to Meizu SP that I sold but loved. They do use the same DAC after all. I really love my H120, and I am considering selling my A818 to buy another Meizu SP for super portable purposes. I don't know why I didn't like the SL. Maybe I just don't like Wolfson sound...

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #13 of 35
btw how would u compare to m6 sl and the sp version ? i do not own the sl version yet .. but if its a tad better i might consider getting the 8gb version but i have heard the mediocre screen(compared to sp) and low batteries are the difference in the sl ? what about the sound ? any difference in sound ?

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 35
I bought myself a M6SL and it is not that good.
Detail is not enough.
The bass is mediocre compare to A818.

I doubt M6 is good at detail.........
I think you guys are overating.

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #15 of 35
I'm only doing this from memory, since I no longer have either Meizus, but I think the SL's Bass Boost makes bass thumps sound funny. I can't really describe how it sounds, but after hearing the SL I instinctively wanted the SP's sound. For both Meizus, I need to have Bass Boost on, otherwise it doesn't quite sound the same as my laptop rig (in sig).

The SL has no hiss whatsoever, compared to the SP, which hissed like mad with my UM1s, and the screen is indeed different from the SP. Newer SP's also suffer from the screen. It seems that they used a different backlight. It really doesn't matter if you don't look at videos or pictures. I think battery life is about the same for both models. Even though it may say "Fully Charged," leave it in for one more hour. It should last a bit longer.

I wanted the M3, which is the same as the SP, but I heard that the chip will be replaced with the Wolfson in newer models, so I decided not to take the risk if that was indeed true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back