Meizu M6: some comments and a question
Jan 7, 2007 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FooTemps

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, so I went to China this winter and decided to pick up a Meizu as a Christmas gift for myself. First thing I've got to say is that I am fairly impressed with it. There are some quirks that need to be worked on (firmware upgrades probably), but overall it is a very nice DAP as a nano alternative.
  • Packaging
    I've got to say that they pretty much copied the old iPod packaging that I remember from when I got my Mini iPod. The differences are just in the logos and the little window used to show off the player itself. The small touches like color print make it stand out from the standard blister packaging or iPod box too. It was also nice that the Miniplayer sat in a bit of foam for protection too. All the other items seemed a bit messy though (probably due to the fact that I asked the clerk to open the box). I've got to say it's grade A packaging.
  • Features
    I like how the Miniplayer came with so many features. Modes of playback, video, images, recording, fm tuner, browser and other tools and games made it fairly easy to fit into any person's media needs. There are some quirks with the recorder though. I still can't get out of recording mode once I enter it, it also occasionally freezes in the calendar. I especially liked how it had a browser where I could delete files.
  • Interface
    The touch strip takes a little getting used to. It's somewhat sensitive on default so I overshot a lot of files when I was still getting to know the interface. After a day or so, I was completely accustomed to the strip. I say it's probably one of the better interfaces but still inferior to the click wheel since it was a lot harder to overshoot files on an iPod. The menu screen is straight forward and simple, which is a nice plus for no hassle users who want an easy player they can pick up without learning.
  • Images
    I'm going to talk about the still picture quality first. The screen is surprisingly nice for a Chinese branded player. Next to all the other ones I saw at the electronics markets, the Meizu had one of the better screens. The screen comes in at 320 by 240, which is the resolution of the iPod video if I'm not mistaken.
  • Moving Image
    The viewing angle on the Miniplayer is good enough for viewing by yourself. But if you are trying to show someone a cool clip while watching it yourself, it becomes pretty impractical. (who would do that though? except for the people in the meizu commercial included in the player) I also didn't notice any ghosting or anything which is also nice.
  • Audio
    My Miniplayer has the accursed white noise hiss. It is annoying. The actual audio playback seems to emphasize treble more, but it may just be my KSC-75s. I have yet to try it with other headphones so I will withhold any further comments about audio quality until I try other, better headphones.

Now onto questions:
Why the heck can't I play a video longer than a TV episode? Is there a problem with the encoder or does the player have problems handling large sizes?

Jan 7, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 4
I;m getting this player very soon ( it's on the post)

You should upgrade the firmware sometime....

Jan 7, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Miniplayer has the accursed white noise hiss. It is annoying. The actual audio playback seems to emphasize treble more, but it may just be my KSC-75s. I have yet to try it with other headphones so I will withhold any further comments about audio quality until I try other, better headphones.

Did you make any changes to the EQ settings? I don't have this player yet, but have been reading up on it. I understand that the EQ settings are terrible right out of the box. Turn off EQ and see if you still have the hiss. Also, it's got a 10 band, 30 step(?) adjustable equalizer. You may be able to reduce the hiss without affecting the music too much.

Interested in your results.

Jan 7, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 4
I also have the "white noise" people are talking about. I checked the forum at "Meizume", and it looks like everyone is hoping for a "fix" to this problem in future firmware. I'm not sure firmware can solve this problem. If it weren't for the "noise", this would be a great DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back