Meizu M6 2Gig SP
V-Moda Vibe
biosciencegeek CMOY (custom tin!)
Cardas IC

p1030553xg3.jpg

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First glitch. Meizu doesn't seem to support multi-language, especially Korean, the letters showing as jibberish. Darn..

This firmware may help, it says unicode support for txt files, but not sure if it also applies to displaying song names, etc in other languages.

http://www.meizume.com/showthread.ph...hlight=unicode

Should note that this is from a rebranded M6 from a company called Emgeton (czech i think) so it will change the starting logo to Emgeton.

Dec 25, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #19 of 30
man, those pictures make me wish the player is here , probably in a week or two. The hold steady is quite good, I like the " seperation sunday" album.

Those v-mod plugs look good!

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dapreview.net said : "The company fit in a new chipset of some kind (supporting advanced DSP functionality, or something like that) as well as a different brand of screen (at least, that's what I can make of it - my Simplified-Chinese skills are a bit rusty nowadays)."

I read at another site that the SP version had a Phillips audio chip.

This conflicts with what I learned from the official forum... I don't know which ones to believe anymore
confused.gif

Dec 25, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how are the viewing angles on it? i heard it washes out at normal viewing angles

They're good enough for me I find.. not the best but nothing I would worry about.

Dec 26, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkg12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get hiss with my Ksc75 either, but with my Creative EP-630's I get hissing. No lineout.

Update your firmware. The hissing problem had been solved with the new firmwares awhile back. Mine has black noise-floor with the e500.

Dec 26, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #23 of 30
MarcusL - that's great news, as I'm getting e500s and considering getting the Meizu. I've got some questions for you -

1) What's the volume like when paired with the e500s? I ask because I listen to my music at low volume.

2) What's the sound quality like with the e500s compared to other sources?

3) And usability? How well does the navigation and touch strip work? Is it relatively easy to control the player on feel alone (i.e. in a pocket)?

Dec 26, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MarcusL - that's great news, as I'm getting e500s and considering getting the Meizu. I've got some questions for you -

1) What's the volume like when paired with the e500s? I ask because I listen to my music at low volume.

2) What's the sound quality like with the e500s compared to other sources?

3) And usability? How well does the navigation and touch strip work? Is it relatively easy to control the player on feel alone (i.e. in a pocket)?

Hi chowk.

1. You'll be very happy if you like low volumes since the e500s are very efficient and the M6's dac matches well with these shures.

2. The M6 and the e500's are a great combination if you're into music that likes bass... quality bass. With the eq off, you're still gonna tap your shoes with techno and rock. I love the way Radiohead's OK Computer sounds with the M6 and the e500. If you're into classical, I still like my Samsung Z5's prestine clarity and better soundstage. But the M6 holds its own somehow with the upper mids. I am playing with a new Trekstor Vibez for a week now and I'd say the Z5 and the M6 still holds the better drive. How I wish I have my late Karma to compare.

3. It depends on where you're coming from. The touchstrip of the M6 takes a while to get used to. Its narrow and only vertical movements (ZVM). Honestly, I hated it the first day I got it but I somehow got used to it now. To me, nothing beats the Ipod navigation and scroll wheel. Blind navigation (pocket) is surely a challenge esp with the right/left side buttons although adjusting volumes is fine (release hold slider, touch strip, slide hold again). The GUI navigation is fair since you can choose file tree or tags.

Dec 26, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #25 of 30
Thanks MarcusL, that's a great help. Sounds like you have plenty of sources to play with :)

I auditioned the Z5 a few days ago and the sound quality was indeed top drawer. Totally agree with your point about clarity and soundstage. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get used to the navigation and controls though... shame since it has so much going for it (great sq, mad batt life, bang for buck)

Have you had any experience with the YP-T9? It's been a long wait but tmrw my e500s arrive!

Dec 26, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #26 of 30
I am not as intrigued with the T9 as I was before I bought the Z5. This is mainly because the Z5 carries sigmatel chipsets (used with the Karma and the older shuffles). A couple weeks ago I heard that the T9 will have a storage bump of 8gigs at CES, still I'll wait for a few good comparisons before I bite the bullet. And after CES, I know I'll have more portables to play with
biggrin.gif
. About Z5's navigation, I find it funny that the learning curve with the Z5's navigation was faster for me than it was with a new M6, ZVM or the clix. I guess I am a fan of tactile buttons and the touchpad is easier since it responds superbly to tapping rather than sliding. And the sound to me is just amazing coming from other DAPs. The acoustic separation is superb and works well with the e500's bass and soundstage. The only unamped portable that can rival this timbre quality for acoustic jazz and classical are my old school minidisc players in legacy SP codec.

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #27 of 30
All this talk has brought the Z5 back into contention... again, I'll wait till CES before making any decisions. About the Z5:

1) I know the Z5 is UMS and supports sync via WMP. Is it possible to navigate using files / folder structure or is it all id3 tags?

2) Is it possible to charge the Z5 by mains? Forgive my stupidity, but would it be possible to plug the usb cable into an ipod adaptor and charge?

3) I've heard that the Karma, Shuffle and Z5 all have great sq, due to the sigmatel chipset. Do you know of any other players that also use the sigmatel chip?

Thanks,
K

Jan 6, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update your firmware. The hissing problem had been solved with the new firmwares awhile back. Mine has black noise-floor with the e500.

i recently got a m6 with the 1.010 and there is an annoying hiss with the e2c but i listen to it with volume < 5. it's my only gripe about this player.

Jan 6, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #29 of 30
I have the "SP" version from Walgreens. I am also experiencing a little "white noise" at low volume. I'm using "Vibes". I'm guessing that almost all DAPs have some degree of amplifier noise.

MarcusL, you mention firmware to eliminate the noise. What firmware version and where can I get it?

One other question - Has anyone listened to the Clix? Does it have noise as well?
Thanks!

Jan 7, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the "SP" version from Walgreens. I am also experiencing a little "white noise" at low volume. I'm using "Vibes". I'm guessing that almost all DAPs have some degree of amplifier noise.

MarcusL, you mention firmware to eliminate the noise. What firmware version and where can I get it?

One other question - Has anyone listened to the Clix? Does it have noise as well?
Thanks!

apparently the clix is "dead silent" as with many other DAPs with the same ampless headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back