Meizu M6 New Arrival and Pics
Dec 22, 2006 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
My order from Walgreens has arrived!! After much trepidation, all told, I ordered it on-line 12/18, and I found it at my doorsteps 12/22 this AM.

I was able to confirm Meizu CAN play FLAC files, except for FLAC files created with DBPoweramp. However, all I had to do was re-encode that FLAC file into FLAC using Foobar's encoder, and it played fine on the Meizu.

So far, everything went smoothly without hitch. Without needing any software, my Win XP recognized it as USB mass storage device, and I just dragged some music files to it, and I had great-sounding music ASAP.

Word of Caution. The default settings had a huge amount of bass boost engaged as well as bunch of DSP's engaged; I turned off all DSP's, and even then, the amount and quality of bass is way superior to my 4G iPod, and the rest of the frequency ranges are very nice as well. Stay tuned for long-term listening impressions and Video capabilities
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, did I mention how SEXXXYYY this thing is in pretty black??

img1031um1.jpg

img1036uo9.jpg

img1038lj1.jpg

img1039kv1.jpg

Dec 22, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 30
Man that is one slick dap!

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any hiss or background noise? How is the sound? Does it have a lineout?

no line out, no hiss with my ksc75 or stock earbuds or sennheiser mx51's. no hiss with my ldm+ too. but his ety's... yea, does it hiss?

Dec 23, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 30
Some more impressions.

Photos load well and display fine, as well as any 2.5" screen can. For video playback, one can use the included software to resize your file to the small avi file, which is what Meizu supports, and this conversion works very quickly and plays well. Once again, this is not meant to be your SOTA home theater display.

img1042kn0.jpg

The "Crystal Case" from mini-player.com also arrived today, and this is how the Meizu looks with the transparent case.

img1044tb1.jpg

I hear no hiss via iPod earbuds, Meizu stock earbuds, nor Ety ER4P's.

The output level is probably a bit lower than 4G iPod, and though this is a non-issue with the portable earbuds/Ety's, I could only get barely acceptable output volume through AKG K701 (Yeah, I tried it).

Sound quality is definitely different from 4G iPod, which emphasizes the upper ranges due to the neutral-to-lean bass. Meizu has neutral-to-slightly-present bass ranges, which gives midrange/treble a bit more richness and listenability. Through dull headphones, iPods may sound more sparkly (with sacrifice in bass).

The included Meizu earbuds are more bassy than iPod buds, which some may or may not prefer. When I wear any earbuds, I always try to rotate them out and jam them into the opening of my ear canal to make an air-seal; when I do this, the stock iPod buds have astounding amount/quality of bass and much nicer balance. This will be completely lost on those who haven't tried it or have ear canals that won't accomodate this method.

At any rate, I'm very pleased with this purchase in terms of build, style, ease, sound quality, and just coolness factor. 4 Gig is 4 Gig, and I really do need something in the 8-12 Gig range at least b/c I use Flac files, but for those looking for a fascinating 4 Gig audio/video DAP, Meizu definitely will fit the bill.

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any hiss or background noise? How is the sound? Does it have a lineout?

I don't get hiss with my Ksc75 either, but with my Creative EP-630's I get hissing. No lineout.

Dec 25, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know which version Walgreens carries? I understand the SP version has a Phillips audio chip. Is SP the better version?

From what I gathered in the official forum, they use the same audio chip. The only difference is the LCD screen. The TP uses a Toshiba screen, and the SP uses a Samsung screen.

Dec 25, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 30
dapreview.net said : "The company fit in a new chipset of some kind (supporting advanced DSP functionality, or something like that) as well as a different brand of screen (at least, that's what I can make of it - my Simplified-Chinese skills are a bit rusty nowadays)."

I read at another site that the SP version had a Phillips audio chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back