Meier Opera Reviews!
May 15, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #31 of 58
True...but then there's......GASP!....the WIFE!
eek.gif

May 15, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #32 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True...but then there's......GASP!....the WIFE!
eek.gif

Yeah, I got one of those too!
frown.gif
She's got my list of things to do! (paint the bedroom, put swingset for the children, etc.. it never ends!).. I just stood up one day and said.. "WOMAN!... well that's all I managed to say before the smack down!.. Soooooooooooooo I called TTVJ in private and snuck the Opera into the house!!
wink.gif
She's just now noticing it, I hope she doesn't do a search and discover the price!
cool.gif

May 15, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #33 of 58
^^ Nice! I might have to do some covert purchasing myself. And for the love of God...don't ever tell her what it cost!

So are you using it via USB directly from your computer or do you have something between the Opera and your PC? One of the reasons I want one is to simplify my desktop...no more stacks of metal boxes sitting on my desk. Jeez, I would think the reduction of clutter alone would warrant the purchase and make my wife happy! Probably not...

The only downside I see with the Opera is no optical input...but that's easily solved with an optical to digital converter or a new soundcard that has digital coax out.
wink.gif

Ah well...the waiting and anticipation is part of the fun for me...

May 15, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are you using it via USB directly from your computer or do you have something between the Opera and your PC? One of the reasons I want one is to simplify my desktop...no more stacks of metal boxes sitting on my desk. Jeez, I would think the reduction of clutter alone would warrant the purchase and make my wife happy! Probably not...

The only downside I see with the Opera is no optical input...but that's easily solved with an optical to digital converter or a new soundcard that has digital coax out.
wink.gif

Ah well...the waiting and anticipation is part of the fun for me...

I use both the USB and coax in. It really reduces the clutter! I purchased an optical to coax converter from monoprice (12 bucks total for 2 cables and converter), so far it works great!! But, I would like to purchase a cpd with a digital out to do and A\B and see if the converter is really 'clean'... but so far I haven't had any issues!

May 15, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Hi-Finthen is next to receive the amp and do a review...

Ah...didn't realize it was one amp being circulated as opposed to each person getting their own Opera to evaluate. Makes sense as I'm sure Todd doesn't want 5 $1000+ amps out there at one time.

By the way...Todd is a good man for allowing folks to review the Opera. Thanks, Todd!

eek.gif
Reminds me of that old skit that Gilda Radnor and Bill Murray used to do on SNL....Thhhhannks, Tooodddd!

May 22, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #36 of 58
Gentlemen...The Opera, Has Landed!!!

Initial thoughts; Oh so typical Meier build quality only exceeded by the integral DAC/Amplifiers spectacular sonics, w/SB3 as transport lossless files, driving my trusted K-701s.
wink.gif

Very nice offering Dr. Jan Meier, and also is the courtesy of audition by Todd Green. I do believe we will be doing business again soon.

Full review to follow in two weeks...

/ In order to keep this loaner program progressing on schedule and minimize shipping times, an approved listed member on the East Coast should e-mail me so I can arrange shipping on June 5th.

smily_headphones1.gif

/ One note of condition upon arrival and inspection, was that the source selector dial appears to be loose (wobbly), I see no set screw to tighten. The source selector dial changes imputs and is firm in doing so mechanically, it seems as though a traditional set screw on the exterior for such a knob is loose. I will not be opening the Corda Opera for this reason or any other during my review.

May 28, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #37 of 58
Regards the DAC, What is it equivalent to? From what I have read owners of the opera feel that the DAC is not up to the standard of the amp. In that case (owners of the Opera) if you had your time again would you prefer to buy the analog opera and get a separate DAC or stick with the standard Opera?

May 28, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regards the DAC, What is it equivalent to? From what I have read owners of the opera feel that the DAC is not up to the standard of the amp. In that case (owners of the Opera) if you had your time again would you prefer to buy the analog opera and get a separate DAC or stick with the standard Opera?

I never found that to be the case. Comparing the Opera (DAC and all), it was on par with most cpds I tested in the 500-700 range.. Maybe as far as features compared to standalones, such as optical out, ect.. But performance wise I find it to be VERY competitive up to $1k CDPs...

Hey, Hi-Finth, it seems your test Opera has been put throught it's paces, I'm surprised you received it in one piece! LOL!

May 28, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never found that to be the case. Comparing the Opera (DAC and all), it was on par with most cpds I tested in the 500-700 range.. Maybe as far as features compared to standalones, such as optical out, ect.. But performance wise I find it to be VERY competitive up to $1k CDPs...

Hey, Hi-Finth, it seems your test Opera has been put throught it's paces, I'm surprised you received it in one piece! LOL!

Hey Morph....are you keeping your Opera?

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #40 of 58
................................Meier Corda Opera....................

I auditioned the Opera w/integrated DAC, with the thought in mind to continue my upgrade path from the HeadFive, Heed CanAmp and Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD, each of which were an obvious upgrade for a variety of reasons.

Being aware to the importance a given source, its DAC section or outboard DAC of a certain quality, often gauged here by their various price point grouping, beyond price, some would of course, better match a given headphone amp. I am assured by those amps owners of the top high end amplifiers, who scoff at ownership of anything less, that the Opera is inferior. Whereas I would have great hopes there are decernable improvements to be gained as always, when paying twice as much and then still needing to audition sources which matches compatibly, moving into a $3000 price bracket or above vs. the $1100 Opera. I found alot to love here with Meiers Corda Opera offering for my applications, and very few complaints!

A likely option for myself, trading up from the $500-$700 range of headamps which also has a matched DAC is exactly why I wanted to audition this Meier offering as a logical upgrade. While obviously to those who would so argue, not on the level of the best headamp available, cost no object, that wasn't my criteria for post audition, choosing to buy the Opera. Here is why I so decided.

I found the Opera to amplify upon a totally blackground, even w/o music playing there is pitch black silence at 100% gain. Unlike a previous reviewer, I live in an area of 4 acres to build, so perhaps there was a clean power issue being picked up by the amplifier elsewhere, whereas nothing but quiet is noted here!

The Corda Opera settled the matching a DAC to a given amplifier whos symbiotic relationship is crucial to at ear presentation being pleasing. Thus leaving only material/recording to be played from transport and headphone of choice variables to dictate a pleasing presentation here.

I found substantial and subtle improvements equating to pleasurable listenability, with my most eclectic material chosen, as well as its far ranging quality of production presented as being prefered and listenable, than I have ever experienced before the Corda Opera.

My choice of material all improved in terms of listenability, Ray Charles(The Atlantic Years), to wall of sound live recordings such as Deep Purple(Made in Japan), or Cream(Wheels of Fire),
Woodstock (Three Days of Peace & Music); As well as did better quality recordings such as Dylans, Beatles(Live CD) and Mapleshade Records selections... The worst recordings were smoother yet with more dynamics and impact than with the MHDT Labs DAC even when fronting the Corda.

Classical recordings I networked to find as being fine examples of the genere and of good recording quality,
Symphonie no 5 de Mendelssohn Reformation,
Mahler: Symphony #8 In E Flat, etc all came alive with far greater details and realisim whereas they had been seemingly flat on previous systems, with relatively greatly reduced dynamic swings vs. the Corda Opera providing tight control over the drivers with this particularly difficult genere, presenting a long ago memory of the power of live classical preformances from my youth.

Although, I did wish there were more volume available for certain recordings, especially the Classical gerere when driving my k701s with the Squeesebox3 as transport, output 1.8mv... I addressed this concern to Jan and we decided to increace the gain on my opera by 3dbs, as well as opt for the dual "low z" jacks for my two person listening option. As well I found there to be a slight degree of improvement in my preferance between the two jacks with all the phones I presently own. I no longer have the RS-2s and do not utilize IEMs so my applications with these choices better suit my actual use of the Opera.

As well, the Opera as source and preamp to my home stereo 30w Digital monoblocks driving '80 Klispch Cornwalls scored in both utility and sonic improvements vs previous components. The smoothness of the presentation is a pleasure to experience with the Opera fronting my sometimes shouty midranged Klispch without the addition of a tube preamp or in this case the Opera. A nice match here!

I do believe Jan has voiced this Operas DAC to the amplifier optimally, for applications such as mine as a target market, rather than looking to provide another best money can buy piece whos buyers would also perhaps scoff condensendingly, at the use of headphones I use, or recordings of less than referance quality, and I can somewhat see thier point.
Realistically, I want to listen to a wide variety of recordings of questionable production quality, which now pleasingly come to life here coupled to the Corda Opera, no matter the choice of music I so choose to listen to.Yes, even internet radio, 192cbr.
The Operas neutral, clear high resolution, dynamic presentation allows the choice of phone amongst my many, to then dictate the at ear presentation. I really do enjoy rolling thru my variety of phones all driven better than I've ever heard before with this central piece to my home audio listing pleasure.

Thanks for the opportunity to audition and review the Corda Opera Todd, very kind indeed!

The highest recommendation I can give is this, I bought the Corda Opera after a 1 week audition. No doubt there are better pieces, however I decided there is no better retail value in competion with the Meier Corda Opera for my listening pleasure / benefit per dollar well spent.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #41 of 58
Nice review, Hi-Finthen!

Jun 10, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
................................Meier Corda Opera....................

I auditioned the Opera w/integrated DAC, with the thought in mind to continue my upgrade path from the HeadFive, Heed CanAmp and Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD, each of which were an obvious upgrade for a variety of reasons.

Being aware to the importance a given source, its DAC section or outboard DAC of a certain quality, often gauged here by their various price point grouping, beyond price, some would of course, better match a given headphone amp. I am assured by those amps owners of the top high end amplifiers, who scoff at ownership of anything less, that the Opera is inferior. Whereas I would have great hopes there are decernable improvements to be gained as always, when paying twice as much and then still needing to audition sources which matches compatibly, moving into a $3000 price bracket or above vs. the $1100 Opera. I found alot to love here with Meiers Corda Opera offering for my applications, and very few complaints!

A likely option for myself, trading up from the $500-$700 range of headamps which also has a matched DAC is exactly why I wanted to audition this Meier offering as a logical upgrade. While obviously to those who would so argue, not on the level of the best headamp available, cost no object, that wasn't my criteria for post audition, choosing to buy the Opera. Here is why I so decided.

I found the Opera to amplify upon a totally blackground, even w/o music playing there is pitch black silence at 100% gain. Unlike a previous reviewer, I live in an area of 4 acres to build, so perhaps there was a clean power issue being picked up by the amplifier elsewhere, whereas nothing but quiet is noted here!

The Corda Opera settled the matching a DAC to a given amplifier whos symbiotic relationship is crucial to at ear presentation being pleasing. Thus leaving only material/recording to be played from transport and headphone of choice variables to dictate a pleasing presentation here.

I found substantial and subtle improvements equating to pleasurable listenability, with my most eclectic material chosen, as well as its far ranging quality of production presented as being prefered and listenable, than I have ever experienced before the Corda Opera.

My choice of material all improved in terms of listenability, Ray Charles(The Atlantic Years), to wall of sound live recordings such as Deep Purple(Made in Japan), or Cream(Wheels of Fire),
Woodstock (Three Days of Peace & Music); As well as did better quality recordings such as Dylans, Beatles(Live CD) and Mapleshade Records selections... The worst recordings were smoother yet with more dynamics and impact than with the MHDT Labs DAC even when fronting the Corda.

Classical recordings I networked to find as being fine examples of the genere and of good recording quality,
Symphonie no 5 de Mendelssohn Reformation,
Mahler: Symphony #8 In E Flat, etc all came alive with far greater details and realisim whereas they had been seemingly flat on previous systems, with relatively greatly reduced dynamic swings vs. the Corda Opera providing tight control over the drivers with this particularly difficult genere, presenting a long ago memory of the power of live classical preformances from my youth.

Although, I did wish there were more volume available for certain recordings, especially the Classical gerere when driving my k701s with the Squeesebox3 as transport, output 1.8mv... I addressed this concern to Jan and we decided to increace the gain on my opera by 3dbs, as well as opt for the dual "low z" jacks for my two person listening option. As well I found there to be a slight degree of improvement in my preferance between the two jacks with all the phones I presently own. I no longer have the RS-2s and do not utilize IEMs so my applications with these choices better suit my actual use of the Opera.

As well, the Opera as source and preamp to my home stereo 30w Digital monoblocks driving '80 Klispch Cornwalls scored in both utility and sonic improvements vs previous components. The smoothness of the presentation is a pleasure to experience with the Opera fronting my sometimes shouty midranged Klispch without the addition of a tube preamp or in this case the Opera. A nice match here!

I do believe Jan has voiced this Operas DAC to the amplifier optimally, for applications such as mine as a target market, rather than looking to provide another best money can buy piece whos buyers would also perhaps scoff condensendingly, at the use of headphones I use, or recordings of less than referance quality, and I can somewhat see thier point.
Realistically, I want to listen to a wide variety of recordings of questionable production quality, which now pleasingly come to life here coupled to the Corda Opera, no matter the choice of music I so choose to listen to.Yes, even internet radio, 192cbr.
The Operas neutral, clear high resolution, dynamic presentation allows the choice of phone amongst my many, to then dictate the at ear presentation. I really do enjoy rolling thru my variety of phones all driven better than I've ever heard before with this central piece to my home audio listing pleasure.

Thanks for the opportunity to audition and review the Corda Opera Todd, very kind indeed!

The highest recommendation I can give is this, I bought the Corda Opera after a 1 week audition. No doubt there are better pieces, however I decided there is no better retail value in competion with the Meier Corda Opera for my listening pleasure / benefit per dollar well spent.

Excellent review Hi-Finthen. I have to agree that the Opera's neutral, clear resolution and dynamic presentations makes my DT-880 sound the best I have ever heard them. It sounds great with my Grado's as well. I love the improvement the DAC/Opera makes out of my Mac. I bought mine based on recommendations from Skylab and others and wish I could afford a second for my office. The Opera is an excellent amp and a great buy!. And the service from Todd was the best.

My only complaint, was that my inital impression with the Ety ER4-P with the P-S cable seemed lacking. The 4-P sounded much better. That is the opposite of the other amps I have used my ETY's with. The Opera sounds so good with the Beyers I have not listened to much else, and need to listen to the ETY's again to be sure my initial impression is correct.

Jun 10, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #43 of 58
/clap /clap

Well done Hi-Finth!!

I personally think the Opera amp\dac presents a very good value, and also it helps to take the guesswork out of amp source matching. At this price point and what it delivers, I don't think it can be beat. "Mid-fi" (as it was adequately put, on another site..*hint* *hint*)
NEVER sounded so good!!
wink.gif
lol....

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #44 of 58
Well, it's my turn with the Opera, and even though I'm not ready to give detailed impressions yet, I definitely like what I hear and see. I wasn't very enthusiastic about the looks of the Opera from the pictures, but seeing -- and holding -- it in person is a different matter. It feels wonderfully solid and well made, and it's actually very handsome. (But Dr. Meier, why oh why must the DAC light throb at me when there's no digital input? It's the one disappointment in an otherwise top-notch appearance.)

As for sound -- much more listening to be done, but I feel sure already that the Opera surpasses the GS-1. I'll focus next on comparisons with the Extreme Platinum. Early take: The Opera easily holds its own on bass, but has a less lively mid-range and a slightly more limited upper treble. As I say, though, much more listening to be done before I'm ready to commit on those judgments.

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #45 of 58
nice, keep these reviews coming..
smily_headphones1.gif

I know what you mean about the looks - felt the same when I bought the Aria as well. Pictures were poor but looks good in real.

could you also give your impressions on the dac section with the dacs you have, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back