Meier Opera Reviews!
Apr 27, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #16 of 58
For the second time in two weeks some strange package arrives unexpectedly. I asked TTVJ to put me on the list, but never got a reply or indication that I got in. Further, the box i got had no instructions of who to send it off to. So once again, I'm making an educated guess that this is all related.

It looks gorgeous next to my stuff. Since I'm very busy with finals my current idea is to send it around Cal's head-fiers to get some quick impressions from as many people as possible. Kitaoji has it right now

cimg1149gz1.jpg

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 58
what's the plate on top for?

Apr 28, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #20 of 58
Instead of working (as I should be), I took time today to compare the Corda Opera to my system, which consists of a Stello DA100 and a Mapletree HD150. I switched between USB DACs on foobar, and connected the Mapletree (a GE 12BH7A and GE 5751) to the Opera's pre-amp out.

I'm not a fan of crossfeed in general, as I feel that it muffles and dulls the music. I'm also a bit biased against the PCM1794 D/A chip that was present in the Opera.

Here are some notes:
-Opera headphone out vs. preamp out (to Mapletree)
This, I felt was the weakest part of the amp. The preamp on the Opera made my warm Mapletree somewhat lifeless and feeling as if the highs were rolled off.

The headphone out on the Opera however, is very nicely implemented, and I found it a very nice match with K701s. Very smooth (polished?), and it reveals the details, but there isn't anything too unpleasant with the details. One could argue that the Opera is forgiving, but not warm and gooey.

-Opera DAC vs. Stello DA100, through the Opera's headphone out
I've heard the PCM1794 chip on granodemostasa's VDA-2 and a PCM1798 on BESAudio's Icarus, and in both cases I've found the sound too thin for my tastes. The Opera's soundstage is wider than that of the Stello's, but the Stello's imaging is more 3-dimensional and has a deeper bass extension. The Opera DAC brought out the midranges (even more on my K701s), but I heard more of the lower-end through the Stello. Therefore I find the Opera's DAC to be somewhat boring.

That said, I don't find the Opera to be bad in any way (with the exception of the pre-amp out, that is.) I would seriously consider the Opera's amp (the analog out version) as a contender for a well done solid-state amplifier, as I really liked the Stello feeding into the Opera.

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #21 of 58
Interesting review! But one question, I notice you said the presentation of the Opera's dac is "boring", well do you think that may have something to do with the synergy between the source and the phones (K701?). I too noticed something similiar when using K701s, but when using the HD650s I wouldn't define it as boring, besides I have a ZuMobius cable attached which I'm sure adds to the liveliness

Also, I find the Opera\K701 to be anything BUT forgiving! Which is why I'm currently using HD650s with it,slightly warmer and makes older recordings more palatable.... well we all hear differently, I guess.

Anyway, good review!

May 13, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #22 of 58
The Meier Corda Opera:
Music: Jazz, Rock and Classical
Stuff: VDA-2/VAC-1, Audio Art IC-3 interconnects, Zana Deux amplifier, Cambridge Azur 340C transport.
Headphones: the K701 and the HD650

So what is the Corda Opera?
The Corda Opera is a 3 channel DA/Converter, Headphone Amp and Pre-amp that works in a single-ended configuration. As advertised, it is suppose to deliver most of the benefits of having a “balanced” system without actually having to go through balanced cables and sources.

The Corda is configured with two SE inputs in the back, and two digital inputs: USB and Coaxial (which are changeable with a switch in the back). There is one output in the back, a pre-amp controlled at the front. the Opera provides a standard zero output impedance jack for driving most headphones, and a jack with 120ohm output impedance which can sound better with certain select headphones.There is a gain switch, Low and high. There is an input switch: digital, input one and input two. The Meier cross feed and volume control are, of course, present.

So how does it look?
It’s a very interesting machine. It definitely will never be confused for another headphone amp. It’s got a polished metallic finish, the casing is aluminum, and the nobs are easy to turn, not too but not small either. It stands on four legs, and has a top panel with a whole in it for ventilation. Its configuration makes it nearly impossible to stack things on top of it.

Overall the bulk, weight and build quality of the Opera are impressive. Compared to the GS-X it is actually very heavy, solid and competent for its price class. I could easily feel that I wasn’t going to break it just by moving it around. While I don’t think that it carries the same type of looks and build quality materials of my Zana Deux, it certainly was well beyond anything I’ve seen in the 1000$ price range. One of the best measures for engineering is how efficient it is, and in this case the Opera is one of the best; I’ve never been around a cooler amp.

How was the cross feed?
I grew up on my head-phone journey listening to mostly crossfeed. My first amp was a Meier HA-1 MKII and my second amp was a Meier Headfive. It’s been seven months since I switched to my tube amp, the Zana Deux. Part of crossfeed was going back to something familiar. There is just more “lifelines” at the center of a piece when cross-feed is implemented.

Meier’s crossfeed has always been a miracle of engineering in my opinion. Unlike Headroom’s, I don’t think that the sound quality or the frequency response changes in the least bit when listening to it. Unlike the Head-five, I didn’t detect a noticeable change in gain when the crossfeed on the Opera was turned on.

Overall, Crossfeed isn’t something I regularly partake in anymore. I now have come to believe that once your ears are used to listening to headphones, natural stereo separation becomes far more enjoyable as the clarity, soundstage and dynamics all improve. Crossfeed, in my opinion, was like training wheels.

There are some uses of crossfeed that I still think are useful. Recordings done in the 40s through early 60s have a tendency to talk between L and R speakers, which can result in a very fatiguing and unsatisfactory experience when listening to headphones. In some cases, in some recordings, crossfeed is the only way to save one’s sanity.

How was the Dac?
I’ve heard quite a few dacs in my day and I’m going to be honest: it’s not better than the 1000$ dacs out there, in fact, my VDA-2 over ran it in a number of categories. If I were to position it anywhere on the scale, I think it would be just where the modded Zhaolu 2.5 stand, which is to say, that it will certainly meet the needs of most Head-fiers.

On a straight A/B test this is what I heard. The Opera was much more two dimensional, its soundstage was not nearly as deep, its treble reach was lacking, it’s bass wasn’t as tight, and it sounded far more “noisier” than the VDA-2. In fact, the comparison actually is exactly that of the Ori Zhaolu and the VDA-2. By that, I mean that I heard the same differences between the dacs… except the meier sounded far more natural and tolerable. If it does one thing well, it’s the actual tone, and balance of the dac, which I thought was very smooth and free of glare or mushiness.

The midrange of the Opera’s dac is the most characteristic development. The midrange has a tendency to focus all of it’s resolution and energies into the air surrounding the main instrumentalist… so that it comes off as sounding very detailed….except that much of the detail in the upper and lower ranges isn’t as apparent as on the VDA-2. I guess I can characterize it as a very midrange-centric dac.

Okay, how did the amp sound?

It sounded like a meier amp. If you have been listening/watching the latest developments from Dr. Meier you know what I’m talking about. The Opera is really the “big brother” of the H5, Aria and Arietta. It is the characteristics of these amps taken to a new level of refinement and transparency.

Frequency wise, the amp exhibits a little bit of a roll off at the top, bump in the lower midrange and a tight but not super-tight bass. It doesn’t extend too much into the lower range nor does it take you to the top of the high end, but it certainly does more than most music requires of it.

Tone wise, the amp is warm, almost tube like, yet manages to remain natural and honest to the source’s original intention. This isn’t like a tube amp that sounds like a 6sn7, or a 300b that sounds like a 300b. It is clearly a solid state not “gooey,” as Jocelyn would put it. Overall it is on the warm side, but also very authoritative in its presentation. Nearly every time I switch back to my Zana Deux, I think that the ZD has a little less muscle per note (although much better dynamics).

I think that the Opera’s biggest strength is in omission. It certainly makes some stuff sound better than it has any right to. Overall, the opera has been very useful to me as an “office” type of headphone amp… something I can seemingly listen to for hours without fatigue or even noticing it’s there. It’s so smooth it just works its charm on you without trying to grab your attention. I didn’t notice anything bad in it’s sound and that is certainly a good thing.

There are problems… quite a few actually

If I were to walk up on the street and ask someone how much they would expect a 1000$ amplifier they would seriously want this thing to blow them out of their seats; but the Opera doesn’t do that.

The largest problem the Opera has is with Dynamics. Play any of Mahler’s symphonies and you’ll see the problem: the Opera doesn’t have the power to really expose the great dynamic contrasts in the music. While the problem doesn’t exhibit itself on most rock and pop music, it is slightly there on Jazz and Classical. This problem doesn’t just exist with large musical flourishes but with nearly every note played. It seems as if there is some sanding down or rounding-out of the tones being played. Things just don’t come out or jump out in a way that makes the music what it is; the passion, excitement, energy, and intensity of classical music isn't as apparent.

The amp’s other problems are somewhat minor. The overall background isn’t all that “black,” in fact; it’s a really gray and noisy background… I don’t know what’s going on here…maybe I need better power cables or a power supply? (My infinitely quieter/blacker Zana Deux has a two part power supply that is contained in a separate chassis). The amp also has a very annoying red-blinking light when I don’t send a digital signal to it.

Conclusions:
I actually think the problem I’m having with the Opera is that it’s too polite to slap the listener in the face with the details; it’s not “glassy” enough for my taste. It’s not a problem of performance, nor a problem of “price,” since I’ve heard plenty of transparent 700-1000$ amps, but a matter of what I personally want to hear in an amplifier. I think I’d be happy with this as a back up or work system, but I couldn’t imagine myself immersing myself into the music for a few hours with the Corda Opera… I’d rather just go across the street (or down my block) to Anna’s Jazz Island.

The Opera also ran itself into another problem; it decided to step into rigs that are lined up with some of the best gear in the hobby. But that’s where the audacity and honesty of TTVJ come in. I’m sure it would have been more comforting to send it off to those who have not had much experience, or to those who seriously wanted to buy one, or to “fanboys” (as is the common practice of so many manufacturers these days). Todd did something that’s very hard to do: he sent it off to get real feedback and for that I’m very grateful. Thanks Todd!

cimg1211bq3.jpg

May 13, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dave, in your picture you have your Equinox cable plugged into the left headphone jack (120ohm output impedance), is this how you used it for the balance of your testing?

i went back and forth... the first three days it was K701 on z, then Z on HD650 the last two nights have been z on HD650... cause i really don't like the K701 or Z.

May 13, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #25 of 58
Hmm, ok. I asked because some of your issues with the sound seemed symptomatic of overly high output impedance. Using that jack lessens the maximum volume, as well as the amp's control over the drivers. Meier includes it on his amps because some headphones (only the Beyer DT831/931 that I know of) were designed to be used with that output impedance. But it just makes most other headphones sound rounder/slower, among other effects.

Also, the statement you made "At the front of the Opera there are two headphone outputs, one for High impendence cans and another for low impedance cans" is not really accurate. Even most high impedance headphones will sound better from the low output impedance jack because the amp will have better control of the drivers. A more accurate statement to describe the two outputs might be: The Opera provides a standard zero output impedance jack for driving most headphones, and a jack with 120ohm output impedance which can sound better with certain select headphones.

I just wanted to make sure there is no confusion over this issue, as using the high impedance jack on headphones not designed for will generally decrease technical sound quality.

May 13, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, ok. I asked because some of your issues with the sound seemed symptomatic of overly high output impedance. Using that jack lessens the maximum volume, as well as the amp's control over the drivers. Meier includes it on his amps because some headphones (only the Beyer DT831/931 that I know of) were designed to be used with that output impedance. But it just makes most other headphones sound rounder/slower, among other effects.

Also, the statement you made "At the front of the Opera there are two headphone outputs, one for High impendence cans and another for low impedance cans" is not really accurate. Even most high impedance headphones will sound better from the low output impedance jack because the amp will have better control of the drivers. A more accurate statement to describe the two outputs might be: The Opera provides a standard zero output impedance jack for driving most headphones, and a jack with 120ohm output impedance which can sound better with certain select headphones.

I just wanted to make sure there is no confusion over this issue, as using the high impedance jack on headphones not designed for will generally decrease technical sound quality.

I see, i see... I probably should have read the website. I'll go back and change that...

I have to admit, after the GSX/Opera shootout my first impression at home was of the "Z" output, so it's entirely possible that my impression may have carried over even after switching to "z," with the only thought being "oh, it's not as bad as i thought when i wrote my impression elsewhere"

For some reason I think the 120 has better control in some music over the 0, which seems "loose" to my ears.

another thing I must point out is that if I had 1000 dollars and didn't want to mess around with re terminating my headphones, this would be my first choice.

May 13, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #27 of 58
very well written review. While I agree with many of your findings, I am afraid I find this statement too sweeping
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The largest problem the Opera has is with Dynamics. Play any of Mahler’s symphonies and you’ll see the problem: the Opera doesn’t have the power to really expose the great dynamic contrasts in the music. While the problem doesn’t exhibit itself on most rock and pop music, on Jazz and Classical it is so apparent as to make the music boring. This problem doesn’t just exist with large musical flourishes but with nearly every note played. It seems as if there is an extra layer of fog or liveliness that disappears with the opera. Things just don’t come out or jump out in a way that makes the music what it is; the passion, excitement, energy, and intensity of classical music has been sucked out.

I have listened to live classical music for most of my life, and to my ears (older than yours I am afraid, and that could explain the difference) the Opera /K701 sounds very close to the real thing. To be more specific, I'd say the Opera gets the timbre of most instruments (and voices) right. Another very nice feature of the Opera is how well it separates individual voices in the orchestra and how it allows you to enjoy the little details in the instrumentation (if you like Mahler you know what I mean). But the thing I really love about the Opera is that, finally, I can use my headphones to listen attentively to ... an opera for three hours straight without ending up with a headache. I will gladly trade the ultimate "crystal clear" sound for this.

Quote:

cause i really don't like the K701 or Z.

same here! That really makes the Opera/K701 sound dead and boring.

May 13, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #28 of 58
I must agree with calaf. The Opera, to me at least, is great for the reproduction of classical music.
No, the Opera doesn't have the "WOW" factor some amps have; it doesn't emphasize the highs, it doesn't emphasize the bass... it's just so very balanced that compared to some amps it might sound boring. But for me and my listening habits it's just perfect as I tend to listen to music for many hours a day and the Opera is the first amp I have owned (and I have owned quite a few respectable amps) that doesn't fatigue me while sounding absolutely exquisite for my concentrated listening sessions. Whether coupled with the AKG K701, the Sennheiser HD650 or the Beyerdynamic DT990 the Opera makes me hear the headphones I am using and not imposing its own sound signature, a property which I appreciate very much. As I have a very eclectic music taste, ranging from classical to experimental/extreme metal, I must say that I can't find a fault with the Opera handling any of these genres. I do think that the Opera is an amp that requires an extended listening period to become accustomed to and to fully appreciate its type of presentation as opposed to some amps that induce that "WOW" effect in the first moments of listening.
For what it's worth, I do agree that the GS-X surpasses the Opera in multiple areas but then again this is something to be expected due to the differences induced by the fully balanced vs. pseudo balanced designs and also taking account of the price difference between the two.

So, just my two cents...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #30 of 58
No brainer!!!
wink.gif
You can ALWAYS have the house painted LATER!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think Hi-Finthen is next to receive the amp and do a review... I intended to do a impression\review, but one MAJOR thing I discovered (compared to other amps I have owned), is when you try to evaluate this amp, you wind up evaluating more or less your SOURCE or PHONES as opposed to the amp! Well, at least that's my impression. The amp is neutral (tilted in a slightly warm direction), so for the most part it allows your source and phones to be themselves! Hence the reason why a lot of people find the amp\K701 combo "boring", or cold... because that's the K701s! The clarity is amazing, so much so I had to switch to different phones because of the flaws of my older recordings being exposed.

For me a great match is the DT990 paired with the Opera... once again, the Opera is allowing the DT990 to be itself! So, just something to think about when reading about "sonic" reviews of the amp.. it's neutral to a fault, I guess. Just my .02 cents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back