Meier Opera Reviews!
Jun 26, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #46 of 58
For the most part, I've been concentrating on the Opera's performance as an amp, but I did do some experimenting with the DAC (USB input) yesterday. The VDA-2 sounds much better to my ears -- not really a close call. Illustration of that: I'd forgotten that I'd switched inputs and after about a half-an-hour, I was growing increasingly worried that my earlier praise of the Opera was overblown. It sounded flatter, with conspicuously less nuance. When I realized, I immediately switched back to the VDA-2 and the improvement was pronounced.

On the other hand, the Opera DAC seems on a par with my modded Adcom, which I prefer over the DAC-AH and Micro DAC. I'll test that some more over the next couple days and report back.

Jun 30, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #47 of 58
Someone in another thread asked about hiss with the Opera. Here's what I've found with the two headphones I have available at the moment (using the low z jack) . . .
DT-880's, hiss starts at about 12:00 on high gain and is non-existent on low gain.
W5000, hiss starts at about 9:00 on high gain and about 12:00 on low gain.
I can check the RS-1's later, but the results should be nearly identical to what I hear with the W5000's.

This is not something that really bothers me, as I can't hear any hiss when music is playing. In principle, I'd prefer no hiss at any volume. In practice, it really doesn't matter (to me) as long as the hiss isn't audible at normal listening levels.

I haven't had much time with the Opera over the last few days (damn job, always getting in the way) but I'm hoping for some good listening time this weekend.

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by panyncor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone in another thread asked about hiss with the Opera. Here's what I've found with the two headphones I have available at the moment (using the low z jack) . . .
DT-880's, hiss starts at about 12:00 on high gain and is non-existent on low gain.
W5000, hiss starts at about 9:00 on high gain and about 12:00 on low gain.
I can check the RS-1's later, but the results should be nearly identical to what I hear with the W5000's.

This is not something that really bothers me, as I can't hear any hiss when music is playing. In principle, I'd prefer no hiss at any volume. In practice, it really doesn't matter (to me) as long as the hiss isn't audible at normal listening levels.

I haven't had much time with the Opera over the last few days (damn job, always getting in the way) but I'm hoping for some good listening time this weekend.

Either your amp is jacked up or it's your source. I PAUSED my CDP and MAXXED the volume, on high gain, and NOOOOO NOISE...
plainface.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either your amp is jacked up or it's your source. I PAUSED my CDP and MAXXED the volume, on high gain, and NOOOOO NOISE...
plainface.gif

Interesting -- when I switch to USB input, the hiss diminishes significantly. What I get instead is a faint digital "crackle" that becomes louder when I touch the volume knob. Like this hiss, it's not audible when music is playing. Weird. Maybe it's me. I don't have another source available at the moment, so no ability to see what happens when I switch from the VDA-2 to another RCA input.

Edit: When I remove the RCA plugs and turn up the volume for that input, there's no hiss. But the digital crackle (not sure what else to call it) is there. Faint but unmistakable when there's no music playing. So the crackle has nothing to do with the DAC itself. And the hiss presumably has something to do with the input from the VDA-2. As my earlier comments indicated, however, this really doesn't bother me too much, even if maybe it should.

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #50 of 58
I’m now ready to provide my somewhat belated full review of the Opera. For the two amp-to-amp comparisons below, I used the CI Audio VDA-2’s double set of RCA outputs to connect both amps using the same cables. Most listening was done through the Audio-Technica W5000’s. I switched occasionally to other headphones, but the W5000’s are easily my favorite headphone right now, and I have a hard time listening to anything else for extended stretches.

I’ll begin with my complaints, which are fairly minor. I really wish that the DAC light wouldn’t throb when there’s no digital input. I’d rather have my gear complaining at me, as if I’ve done something wrong. Similarly, the DAC clicking can also get on my nerves. As for the differences between the headphone jacks — I’m sure that Dr. Meier thought a lot about this before implementing it, and I assume that there are people for whom it’s a plus, but the two jacks would be more valuable to me if they were both the same. Finally, it’s a shame that the design makes it impossible to stack anything on top of the Opera; it’s caused me to have a bit of trouble finding a place for the Opera on my crowded desk.

Okay, now to the good stuff. First, the build and feel. I commented earlier on the very solid construction quality and appealing aesthetics, and after living with it for a few weeks, I continue to be very impressed. It’s not equipment that calls out to be babied; nor is it so bland and unimaginative that you forget it’s there. I take my hat off to any equipment that’s attractive, bold, and built to last.

I’ve been a crossfeed fan for a couple years, ever since the Headroom Micro Amp swept away my prior skepticism. I’ve been without the Micro Amp for a long time now, so I’m in no position to do a true comparison of the two crossfeed implementations, but I can say without reservation that the Opera’s crossfeed is excellent. I’ve put it on and left it there (except when making amp-to-amp comparisons).

Now about the sound. First came the GS-1, which the Opera bested in most respects. Most striking is the Opera’s superior body — every note has a very satisfying weight to it. By contrast, the GS-1 can sound slightly thin. To some listeners, the GS-1’s leaner signature might sound superior, but for me the Opera provides a lot of what I value in tube amps. If the GS-1 is a sports car, the Opera is more of a luxury sedan. They’re equally powerful but the former emphasizes nimble handling, while the latter provides a smoothness that lets you really settle in to the ride.

(Please Note: Whenever I make these comparisons, I always feel the need to stress that what I’m presenting as a significant contrast is really a matter of “very good” vs. “very very good.” In other words, no one should construe the above comparison to mean that the GS-1 is thin sounding in absolute terms or that the Opera lacks agility.)

After deciding fairly early on that I preferred the Opera to the GS-1, I spent most of my attention to testing the Opera against my Singlepower Extreme Platinum. All in all, I prefer the Extreme, which provides even greater body without sacrificing speed or dynamics. The trick, of course, is to lend satisfying weight to the notes without making the music sound thick or too warm, which is a sin that the Extreme and Opera both manage to avoid.

Depending on the tube set, I think that the Extreme yields equal or superior treble. With the perfect tube combination, the Extreme adds an extra trace of extension to high notes. For all but careful critical listening, however, I'd call it a tie.

The mid-range is where the Extreme is the hands-down winner for me. There’s nothing wrong with the way the Opera presents vocals, but I’m very much a fan of intimate presentation, and the Opera puts you a couple rows back whereas the Extreme places you right on stage where you can feel the singer. Here again, it wouldn’t surprise me if some listeners might prefer the Opera’s relatively leaner mid-range. To them, the Extreme might be “colored.” For me, it’s spot-on perfect and better at conveying raw emotion and the nuances of vocals and some acoustic instruments (think sultry sax solo).

Ah, but then there’s the bass. This is a different story, and I was surprised. The Extreme has a well deserved reputation as an amp that provides a powerful bottom end. But the Opera is even better. It goes lower and hits harder. Tight, impactful, and very satisfying.

The Extreme’s soundstage is a bit more holographic and has more top-down space, whereas the Opera tends toward a wider sound. Here again, I prefer the Extreme, but it’s not significant enough that I would declare the Extreme’s soundstage objectively “better.”

All in all, the Opera is a very tough competitor for rock, trip-hop, etc. — anything that calls for powerful bass and that can benefit from a more relaxed mid-range. The Opera excels at finding the dynamics and delivering good instrument separation even in over-saturated recordings. That said, I couldn’t find anything that Opera sounded bad with, including music at the other end of the sonic spectrum.

It’s important to emphasize that my preference for the Opera was only apparent when I was doing direct A-B switching. When I switched off the Extreme and listened only to the Opera, I had no complaints. I never found the vocal presentation, or any other aspect of the Opera’s signature, unsatisfying or the least bit wrong. In fact, the Opera’s performance has got me re-thinking my future upgrade path. The truth is, several weeks ago I considered writing Todd to cancel my Opera review. As other amps have come into the HeadFi spotlight, my initial interest in the Opera waned, and I really didn’t picture myself getting one. Not so now.

Many thanks to Todd for his generosity in making this superb equipment available for review — if only we could get these kinds of extending listening tests with other gear. And of course I have to conclude with thanks to Jan Meier for having designed and produced something of such high quality.

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #51 of 58
Nice review, panyncor! Difficult task that it is!

With reference to two of your issues with the Opera, which I shared; First, I found by placing a 10" X 14" glass shelve atop the four corners, this leaves a 1/16" airspace above the top plate which has its air flow opening remaining to encourage warm air circulation. I then place my monitor onto this shelve which I find to be an aesthetically pleasing solution.
As for the LEDs, not only did I have mine switched out to soft blue, (again matching my gear stack as the Opera sets upon my SACDP), while having both jacks switched to "low z"; in addition the LEDs I pushed further into the case so only their reflected light is seen on the cases thickness.

I enjoyed reading your comparisons, well done!

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #52 of 58
panyncor, nice review. I only listened to the Extreme and GS-1 at a meet, but based on that, I would largely agree with your review, although I preferred the Opera's treble over the Extreme. But we all have different ears, and this is a very minor difference in opinion. Others will differ in opinion more I'm sure
biggrin.gif

Nonetheless, excellent review, thanks!

Jul 9, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #54 of 58
This is a very sweet thread, nice reviews, great reading.

@Hi-Finthen - are we going to see some pics? Please...

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #55 of 58
I feel honored to get praise from such accomplished reviewers as Skylab and Hi-Finthen -- thanks for the compliments. And thanks also, Hi-Finthen, for the advice about how to get around some of the Opera's minor drawbacks. If I do indeed get an Opera, I'll contact Dr. Meier about getting a custom version, and I'll definitely be trying the plane of glass on top -- great idea.

Lucky me, Brynn from TTVJ e-mailed to say I could keep the Opera a little bit longer. The benefits of being last on the review list.
cool.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #56 of 58
Great reviews here.

As always I appreciate the comparisons to the GS-1 which is a well known reference here, and the Extreme.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #57 of 58
Nice review Panyncor! I have not heard either the GS1 or the Extreme, but I struggled for about 6 weeks between the Opera and a Singlepower PPx3 Slam. I needed a DAC and went with the Opera. I wish I could afford a second one for my office. My Beyers and Grado's have never sounded better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back