Meier Opera or Rudistor RPX-33?
Aug 20, 2007 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Lamprologus

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for an amp to drive mainly low impedance cans. A DAC is a nice bonus but not necessary. Many people have reported great synergy between Opera and their Denon D5000/D2000 which made me consider this amp. I'm also considering buying the Ultrasone ED 9 and have noticed that some think highly of the Rudistor RPX-33 in combination with that can.

Which one of these amps would be the best option (primarily considering SQ)? Are there any other good amps out there that would fit the bill, preferably cheaper than the two mentioned above
wink.gif
?

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 24
I believe there is little doubt that you will find better SQ with the RPX-33 when compared to the Opera. The RudiStor amp is dual mono in design and is going to offer better sound quality for most folks. (Everybody?)

My new rig really does seem to make me forget about the system & SQ and just listen to the unfettered music. Sometimes I think I'm missing something: the rig does not seem to get in the way of the music at all.. no coloration that I can hear. Just solid, robust music -- top to bottom. I love how the bass kicks me (and with such detail), while the highs remain extended, detailed, and quite balanced... all without causing me any fatigue.

I'm really not sure right now what more I'd want from a headphone . . .

... But I did consider the Opera. I just didn't feel like wondering what I'm missing. It's supposed to be a fine contender, though, and I'm sure one could be quite happy with it as well.

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 24
OP: I'd make the decision based on the best actual evidence you can find about the pairings of both headphones and amps. The Ultrasone/Rudistor relationship is well known, so that would likely be a pretty reliable option. The Ed.9 sounded very good in the session I had with the Opera, but as I don't own them, I can't really provide much contrast as to how that compared to other amps. If you're pretty sure you will buy the Ed.9, I'd be more concerned about how it pairs with your potential amp, as you might not have much listening time for the Denon anymore (based on my auditions of both cans).

Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe there is little doubt that you will find better SQ with the RPX-33 when compared to the Opera. The RudiStor amp is dual mono in design and is going to offer better sound quality for most folks. (Everybody?)

A rather presumptive statement, no?

One could just as easily claim that because the Opera is clearly better since it has an active, "balanced" ground topology which handles the return current and resultant inter-channel crosstalk more effectively.

The bottom line is that specs, part selection, or circuit style aren't necessarily correlated with the actual sound of a piece of gear. Stating that one item will clearly sound better than another is quite foolish, no matter the grounds used to make such a claim.

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One could just as easily claim that because the Opera is clearly better since it has an active, "balanced" ground topology which handles the return current and resultant inter-channel crosstalk more effectively.

That is not something I was aware of. I guess I just presumed that with its dual mono style, price increase, and exclusivity of the amplifier (no dac) that it would be of higher fi.

I am by no means an expert.

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

My new rig really does seem to make me forget about the system & SQ and just listen to the unfettered music. Sometimes I think I'm missing something: the rig does not seem to get in the way of the music at all.. no coloration that I can hear. Just solid, robust music -- top to bottom. I love how the bass kicks me (and with such detail), while the highs remain extended, detailed, and quite balanced... all without causing me any fatigue.

Sounds excellent
icon10.gif
, that's the type of sound I'm looking for.

No problems with the build quality of the RPX-33?

Aug 21, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP: I'd make the decision based on the best actual evidence you can find about the pairings of both headphones and amps. The Ultrasone/Rudistor relationship is well known, so that would likely be a pretty reliable option. The Ed.9 sounded very good in the session I had with the Opera, but as I don't own them, I can't really provide much contrast as to how that compared to other amps. If you're pretty sure you will buy the Ed.9, I'd be more concerned about how it pairs with your potential amp, as you might not have much listening time for the Denon anymore (based on my auditions of both cans).

That's a very good point, I should probably be more concerned with how the amp sounds with the Edition 9.

I do like my D2000 though, it's just that I've come to realize that they are at times too polite. They've got the bass I want but somehow they lack some bite in the mids. Don't know how to describe it better than that - polite - and I'm not at all certain if that can be fixed with another amp. It's been the same with the two amps I've currently tried them with (Headfive and Harmony Design Ear 90).

Aug 21, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned both Meier Audio and Rudistor products - not these two specific models. The build quality of Meier Audio products is far superior.

That's bad news, did something particular happen with your Rudistor?

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #9 of 24
I owned the Opera for a while, found it somewhat lean and dry sounding with the HD650 and DT990.

Also auditioned the Ultrasone 750 breifely. Did not like the sound with the Opera.

I can not speak for the Rudistor, but coincidentally I'm also thinking of getting one.

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 24
I have the Opera and Ed 9s (proline 750s and Senn 650s) and I think it is a fine sounding amp. Nice and liquidy, accurate. Don't think it is dry at all. Have no plans on switching from it. People bash the enclosed DAC but I don't use it; I'm just there for the amp side.

Haven't tried a Rudistor so can't comment on it.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 24
No complaints about the build quality of my RPX-33... It's solid.

And I love that volume knob . . .

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

No complaints about the build quality of my RPX-33... It's solid.

And I love that volume knob . . .

I think Rudistor is the right choice, the magic of one pair of output device and simple topology makes good music.

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's bad news, did something particular happen with your Rudistor?

Yes. Also, have you seen many amps with XLR connections and no "clip" to hold the cable ?

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Also, have you seen many amps with XLR connections and no "clip" to hold the cable ?

Why would no clip be a benefit on an XLR connection? My AV SP has them and I don't find them particularly problematic to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back