Meier crossfeed circuit
Mar 9, 2008 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
I wonder if there is a way to make a Meier passive crossfeed circuits, in a small enclosure (comparable to the size of a 1/8 plug adapter). I love crossfeed implemented by Rockbox on my iMod, and I think I could do even better with Meier's.

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 10
This site has a DIY circuit based on the Meier X-Feed (Jan Meier Bass enhanced Crossfeed). Size-wise, I don't think you could make it as small as you describe because of the capacitors- specifically the two 220nF guys. Using polypropylene caps, they tend to be a bit large.
I just built one today that fit in a case that's the same length and width as a 3G ipod nano and about 4X as thick. The board itself is ~1X1.5 inches and maybe 0.75 inches thick (because of the capacitors).
EDIT:
Size comparison-
P1010006.jpg

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 10
It's a very neat work, but seeing at the picture I think it could be made smaller (like half size). There'se a lot of empty space.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 10
What would be the impact of using all surface mount components? I've had a hard time finding if the audiophiles here think they are good or bad for the sound.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 10
Beautiful. Is bass boost switcheable (so I can have it off)? Can I have it?
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a very neat work, but seeing at the picture I think it could be made smaller (like half size). There'se a lot of empty space.

I just decided to build that in the morning, so the enclosure was the smallest I could find at my local radioshack. It could have fit into a much smaller enclosure. The limiting factor on my circuit was my capacitors. I have boxes of polypropylene capacitors in my lab so I used what was available, but they are pretty big, maybe 1.5cm tall (picture doesn't show the height very well). I could probably make the circuit more compact, but this layout fit in my box so it was good enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Zigis- That's tiny! Did you use a PCB?

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 10
It is on breadboard. I see pics of Sijosae made Linkwitz cf similar construction and I make Meier then. I hadn't 47n cap for bass boost, so there is 2 caps in parallel in middle. Therefor 4 caps instead 3 in schematic. If I had right cap then, it was even smaller.

Anyway, i don't like sound quality, maybe because poliester, I made Linkwitz before and don't like too.
I have all parts for Meier with polypropylene caps and bypass now, need to try last time.

Mar 10, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm not interested in Xinfeed. It didn't sound good to me (much like Mono).
Does Meier crossfeed go out of the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back