Meier Corda Opera...Give me the details
May 10, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, just to be a contrarian, I use crossfeed 100% of the time and find it is critical to my enjoyment of serious headphone listening. So as always - experiment for yourself!

That's probably the best advice - to try it myself. Just out of interest, how long did you guys burn-in the amp?

May 10, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by wpk123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's probably the best advice - to try it myself. Just out of interest, how long did you guys burn-in the amp?

I would suggest around 150 hours...

May 10, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #48 of 59
Agreed, although I didn't feel there was much change beyond 100 hours.

May 23, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #50 of 59
both LED's are red. In a dark room it's like two eyes staring at you
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 23, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #51 of 59
I must admit the light doesn't bother me very much. I have the amp sitting high on a shelf, above eye level, so never see it!

One thing I have noticed about the Opera, it is very revealing of any deficiencies present in the source. No one on the forum mentions the source when posting about synergy! It surely must be one of the most important links in any setup. Perhaps when we talk about synergy of components we need to mention the source as well.

A case in point - my current setup has a Primare CD21 CDP as primary source. I knew it leaned slightly to the warm and relaxed sound, but that was ok when I was listening through a brightish intergrated amp. Not now. The warm and relaxed sound comes through on the phones, making it sound too laid back. Not my cup of tea unfortunately. So it looks like I'm going out looking for a different CDP. Any recommendations?

Another point - with my 250 ohm beyer 990s, I have the volume turned up to between 1 and 2 o'clock (sometimes even 3). And that's on high gain! How can one get to hear any music with the 600 ohm headphones?

May 23, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

I must admit the light doesn't bother me very much. I have the amp sitting high on a shelf, above eye level, so never see it!

One thing I have noticed about the Opera, it is very revealing of any deficiencies present in the source. No one on the forum mentions the source when posting about synergy! It surely must be one of the most important links in any setup. Perhaps when we talk about synergy of components we need to mention the source as well.

A case in point - my current setup has a Primare CD21 CDP as primary source. I knew it leaned slightly to the warm and relaxed sound, but that was ok when I was listening through a brightish intergrated amp. Not now. The warm and relaxed sound comes through on the phones, making it sound too laid back. Not my cup of tea unfortunately. So it looks like I'm going out looking for a different CDP. Any recommendations?

Another point - with my 250 ohm beyer 990s, I have the volume turned up to between 1 and 2 o'clock (sometimes even 3). And that's on high gain! How can one get to hear any music with the 600 ohm headphones?

x2, very good point! I think the Opera is neutral ("sliiightly warm") to a fault... a lot of the source\phones come through...it doesn't mask anything... so more emphasis is placed on pairing the right source with cans in this type of setup, well at least from my experience, unless you decide to just use the OPERA's built-in dac, then the pairing of the amp and cans becomes more important (?)..

HAha! that's odd... I just sent Dr. Meier an email about the volume use with my 250 ohm DT990s also.. I've had to set my volume at the same level on high gain, I thought it was JUST ME! I'll wait for his response on this and post it...

Also, have you tried using your CDP as a transport in order to use the OPERA's DAC? Just curious what your experience was..

May 24, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #53 of 59
Everyone keeps talking about the Opera DAC. I'm interested. Has anyone ever seen a published review on the DAC that comes with that unit? There is nothing on the website either that I know of either.

Thanks!

May 24, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #54 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by showflash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone keeps talking about the Opera DAC. I'm interested. Has anyone ever seen a published review on the DAC that comes with that unit? There is nothing on the website either that I know of either.

Thanks!

This should help, or disregard if you've been aware:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222916

May 24, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #55 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, have you tried using your CDP as a transport in order to use the OPERA's DAC? Just curious what your experience was..

Morph

You know, it didn't even occur to me to try that. Will give it a go and let you know!

May 24, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

You're right, but this is almost an understanding to an high end device with natural sound characteristics as Opera - that's why people wouldn't mention it but all of us should realize how CDP's effect in the synergy. Don't forget the source isn't only the CDP, but also the CD records, and interconnect cables. A decent cable can also play a critical role to fine tune the sound with your favorite.

May 25, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #57 of 59
Recieved my Opera from Todd today. Burning it in now. I couldn't wait till it was burned in to listen and with my DT880's the sound is more than I was expecting out of the box. This is a huge step up from my Total Airhead.

Thanks to Skylab, tbonner1, and the others who posted when I was trying to decide on an amp for my Beyers back in April. I think i will be happy with this amp for a long time.

Now I need to get this burned in and enjoy some music.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #59 of 59
That's an interesting comparison. GSX is truly balanced from input to output and Opera is mimicking balanced ground plain. Based on my previous Meier amps...I would say GSX is more transparent to source and Meier would have slight coloration toward warm side. For most headphones..that might be good but for Senn headphones...that would put me to sleep
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone compared the Opera to Headamp GS-X ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back