Meier Corda Opera...Give me the details
May 7, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #31 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO.. Meier-Beyer FTW!!
580smile.gif

2x Opera makes my DT880 sound very refined with nice bass and mellowed treble... there is also analog version without DAC

May 7, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #32 of 59
Is the Opera a good match with the laid-back Senn HD600's? Does it provide enough punch to synergize with these? Many of the comments that I hear about this amp are praising its neutrality, which may leave the Senns sounding a little flat?

May 7, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Omom, did you have Dr. Meier increase the gain setting for your 600 ohm cans?

no, I have standard low/high version... I use low gain + right headphone jack with volume about 12 - 2 o'clock with 600 Ohm DT880..

May 7, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not trying to bleed ya dry. More like save you $$. I would bet that the CS dac is at least similar to the Operas. So buy a Meier HA-2 or get MisterX to build you a fat ride with custom tweaks and a psu.

Haha I know I am just giving you a hard time. I am looking into the Lavry DA10 now.

If I can get a used one for a good price I will go that way. If not I am thinking of having a nice SS amp built from someone like MisterX and just using my CS DAC for home coupled with the amp.

Thanks Space.

I am still looking around and seeing what deals there are.

May 8, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #36 of 59
Reading this thread and all the responses it's generated has reaffirmed my decision to get an Opera myself. Thank you very much everybody. Hopefully this will be me for some time to come.

May 9, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

Omom, did you have Dr. Meier increase the gain setting for your 600 ohm cans?

It is possible to ask Dr.Meier for such special requirements ? During order process ?

May 9, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is possible to ask Dr.Meier for such special requirements ? During order process ?

Yes you can do so; Not sure if there is an additional cost, tho...

May 10, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #40 of 59
Just received my Opera today. Yippee!!! It is atm burning-in. This is my first dip into the high-end stuff.

My initial impressions are that the amp is just so smooth and puts out everything with ease and controlled power. Now I know what everyone is talking about. WOW.

Haven't played much with the cross-feed switch yet. The effect appears to be subtle. My question to my fellow head-fiers is do you have the cross-feed on all the time or for specific types of music?

May 10, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by wpk123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my Opera today. Yippee!!! It is atm burning-in. This is my first dip into the high-end stuff.

My initial impressions are that the amp is just so smooth and puts out everything with ease and controlled power. Now I know what everyone is talking about. WOW.

Haven't played much with the cross-feed switch yet. The effect appears to be subtle. My question to my fellow head-fiers is do you have the cross-feed on all the time or for specific types of music?

I'm very much not a fan of what the cross feed does... it tends to mess the soundstage up too much for my tastes. But there are sometimes when it's needed. I don't listen to oldies often, but when I do it helps alot.

the thing is that alot of the 50s/60s music was recorded so that the music jumps L and R all the time on speakers. however this affect is highly fatiguing on headphones.

in all, crossfeed is useful when it's needed, but i tend to leave it off when it's not needed.

May 10, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #44 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very much not a fan of what the cross feed does... it tends to mess the soundstage up too much for my tastes. But there are sometimes when it's needed. I don't listen to oldies often, but when I do it helps alot.

the thing is that alot of the 50s/60s music was recorded so that the music jumps L and R all the time on speakers. however this affect is highly fatiguing on headphones.

in all, crossfeed is useful when it's needed, but i tend to leave it off when it's not needed.

That's exactly what I think too. But I must admit I didn't play that much with some older recordings yet, where channel separation was extreme and very unpleasing with headphones. With modern classical recordings, I prefer to leave it off...

May 10, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #45 of 59
Well, just to be a contrarian, I use crossfeed 100% of the time and find it is critical to my enjoyment of serious headphone listening. So as always - experiment for yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back