Meier Corda Move details released
Jul 15, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #436 of 1,165
Man this waiting game is killing me.

My move was shipped 4 days ago. Longest 4 day ever.

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #438 of 1,165
Hello everybody
smily_headphones1.gif

I am just in the process of thinking about Corda Move, but I got a question for those using it on the USB.
- It is Vista compatible?
- does it support ASIO4all or everybody is using kernel streaming from foobar2000?
I am curious about this questions because I got M-Audio Transit, which is definitely a better DAC/soundcard, but I`am planning to replace it with the move. It seems that the quality should be comparable and I save like 100$ by selling the Transit which I use only for stereo listening on headphones anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #439 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadCap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everybody
smily_headphones1.gif

- does it support ASIO4all or everybody is using kernel streaming from foobar2000?

It supports ASIO4all from foobar2000. Dunno about compatibility with Vista...

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #440 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by klemchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It supports ASIO4all from foobar2000. Dunno about compatibility with Vista...

If it does support ASIO4all at XP, it should work fine at Vista too ... but we will see, I almost ordered it just now ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #441 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadCap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everybody
smily_headphones1.gif

I am just in the process of thinking about Corda Move, but I got a question for those using it on the USB.
- It is Vista compatible?
I am curious about this questions because I got M-Audio Transit, which is definitely a better DAC/soundcard, but I`am planning to replace it with the move. It seems that the quality should be comparable and I save like 100$ by selling the Transit which I use only for stereo listening on headphones anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

It've been tested against both Windows XP & Vista. No problem, just have to reboot your computer before the using for the first time.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #442 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by koto-in /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC chip in the Move is the same as that in the Apple Airport Express.

Does this mean that one will see no performance upgrade if already listening through an apple computer? I"m a little confused on what that means exactly... please enlighten me

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #443 of 1,165
itsborken's Jameco PS suggestion is easy to mod for the MOVE - Thanks itsborken!
I ordered a 12VDC regulated 200mA wall wart (Jameco #20898, $12.45) to fit within Jan's recommended 100 to 500 mA range. This PS also needs the plug (part # below) to be soldered on. ***NOTE***This PS has the polarity reversed!!! You will need to switch polarity when you solder up new plug. I haven't soldered anything since working on a model railroad when I was a kid. If I can do it, in less than 15 minutes while checking things again, and again, and again, I'll bet anyone can.

I used a borrowed multimeter to check voltage and also verify that the polarity was reversed from original to new. I got a constant 11.92 VDC. Very good I think.

AS itsborken said: PLEASE don't order from this unless you look at the parts descriptions online vs. Jan's Move manual and know what you are doing. I [we] may have ordered the wrong parts and don't want you to pay for my [our] mistake too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a 12vdc regulated 500mA wall wart at Jameco Electronics (nobody laugh). Unfortunately it means reterminating the barrel plug with a 1.3mm connector (minor solder job). If Dr. Meier recommends a regulated PS I'm not one to argue.

I *think* the parts are:
Jameco#162996 PS regulated, linear ($13.14)
Jameco#71192 plug ($0.95)

Quote:

Dr Meier recommends running between 100 and 500 mA as at higher levels the regulation doesn't work quite so well on low current apps like this.

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #444 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shevlock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this mean that one will see no performance upgrade if already listening through an apple computer? I"m a little confused on what that means exactly... please enlighten me

The Airport Express is an external wireless receiver with a DAC chip in it. http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ To achieve the audio performance of the Move, you would still need an amplifier.

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #445 of 1,165
jimmy8269, thanks for confirmation
smily_headphones1.gif
And about the DAC > i don`t really know, why there is no option to replace or order the move with some better DAC ... it would be a nice upgrade

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #446 of 1,165
Got my Move in Australia, only 8 days after ordering. Yaay!

Initial impressions are very positive. Currently listening through my A900s, soon to be upgrade to D2000s probably. Source is a PowerBook G4, MP3 320kbps. USB power only for now, but I will try it with a 12V adapter as soon as I get a chance.

The unit itself was smaller than I was expecting, and finished very nicely. Very attractive little unit. Only slight grumble is that the volume knob is very close to the headphone port, and is quite sticky, so it's not exactly easy to get the right volume level.

Packaging is very nice, everything fits in there very snugly. I was extremely impressed by the manual, which explained everything clearly.

As for the sound, well it is great. This is my first headphone amplifier and I'm quite satisfied by the quality, although frankly I wasn't expecting a night-and-day difference with respect to my PowerBook (or iPod for that matter). Definitely better though, more detailed, more zing at the high end. And the crossfeed filter is nice too.

Overall I'm happy but I want to try them with some more capable headphones, such as the D2000s (should audiocubes ever get any in stock, but that's another story...).

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #447 of 1,165
V-Duh;3118736 said:
I ordered a 12VDC regulated 200mA wall wart (Jameco #20898, $12.45) to fit within Jan's recommended 100 to 500 mA range. This PS also needs the plug (part # below) to be soldered on. ***NOTE***This PS has the polarity reversed!!!
QUOTE]

I'm glad it worked out well for you and that you caught the polarity problem by checking it out. Thanks for certifying another part number for the rest of the users.

Happy listening!

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #449 of 1,165
Quote:

That is pretty slick. Do you know how it does
with external speakers (any recommendations)?

I use a APX with iTunes to my RSA Raptor. The APX provides both Analog 1/8 jack and via
the same jack SPDIF/TOS. I thought the analog sounded OK as a source. I run the digital
to my Scott Nixon Tube Dac+ and that sounds much better.

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #450 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by zatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a APX with iTunes to my RSA Raptor. The APX provides both Analog 1/8 jack and via
the same jack SPDIF/TOS. I thought the analog sounded OK as a source. I run the digital
to my Scott Nixon Tube Dac+ and that sounds much better.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back